1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP Home switch to XP professional

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Abomino, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Abomino New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I am not exactly illiterate when it comes to PC stuff, but I wanna double check to make sure this will work before I go all commando and do it. I do not want a duel os, just a single being the Professional. I found something in a similar thread but wanted to make sure it would work for my system switch as well.

I wish to switch my operating system from XP Home to XP professional, from what I have read so far, all I would need to do is wipe out the home partition and replace it with the Professional partition, correct?

If there is something I am missing, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    That's all you have to do, unless you want to save any of your files on XP Home. You could probably just install it over XP Home and not even bother with a format (formatting would require bootable linux-based partitioning software). And if you still get a request to dual-boot, then you can modify BOOT.ini later to suit your needs.

3. Abomino New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow it is easier then I would of imagined then. If I do get a request for a dual-boot, what would I have to look for/fix in the BOOT.ini?

4. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Right click "my computer", click "properties", go to the advanced tab, enter the startup and recovery options, manually edit the startup file, and then delete "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT" (or it should say something along those lines...just remember to delete any line of code that involves Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" lol).