1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP Installation

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Nothgrin, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Nothgrin New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I have installed Windows many many times on previous computers but this time its just not letting me do anything...

So heres the situation: I just bought and assembled a new build (check the spec) and I wanted to install an OS on it to get it started. I use the 32-bit Windows XP full version to install in DOS and it gets through all of the loading of the temporary drivers and such and says its starting to load Windows (this is pre installation loading) about 30 seconds into it I get a BSOD that says that there was a serious error and my computer was shut down to prevent damage. In the screen it notes that my hard drives could be at fault. I have ran scan checks with my SAS controller card and it says I dont have anything wrong with them.

Does anyone else get this problem every time they install WinXP in DOS? How did you fix the problem? What should/could I do?

2. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY

Thanks Received:
    First thing i do is go to one stick of ram ,and pull any (if preasent)pci cards and usb devices not needed.Until O.S. is loaded!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  3. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY

Thanks Received:
    Also have to add,just nocticed 32-bit Windows XP full version,some newer hardware requires SP2.

4. Nothgrin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Currently I am only using 2GB of the 4GB due to 32bit limitations. My motherboard bios says the ram is working fine. I dont have any PCI cards right now and the only thing in the USB is my keyboard. During the installation I used two different XP cds one original XP and the other SP2.

The error code that I got was 0x0000007B. I looked it up and it said I should load some SATA drivers due to XP coming out before the SATA age. I don't even have anything plugged into SATA...

I am going to try to move a working XP drive over to this computer and use the bootable XP to install XP onto my other drive and hopefully remove the old drive without any more problems.

5. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY

Thanks Received:
    Might try going into bios and dis-abling sata's

6. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Don't do that. It might not boot in ur new setup and might corrupt that install too.

Try changing Ram sticks. Try putting the ram in different slots. format the drive with say the drive tools from WD if the drive is from WD, Seatools if the drive is from Seagate etc. Make sure you partition your drive to something around 30 to 40 GB to eliminate the large drive issue.

7. Nothgrin New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok I fixed my install. What happened was since XP didn't ship with SATA Raid Controller drivers you have to manually load them during the install. I went to an old computer and ripped the floppy drive to a working but not so new computer and booted XP to create the driver disk from my motherboard driver dvd. Then I ripped out that floppy drive to my new build so I could read it during the installation.

Thanks for your help