1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP no boot

Discussion in 'General Software' started by stinger608, Mar 23, 2013.

1. stinger608

stinger608

Thanks Received:
    I have a no boot issue in windows XP. It just keeps giving me the "no boot device" or something similar. It will boot from the Windows XP Home disk without any issues. I have tried replacing the boot.ini, fixmbr, and fixboot. None of these have worked. I even went so far as to doing the repair by installing Windows XP Home. When it rebooted it still gave me the same reading.

I can get it to boot from a Paragon Rescue disk though. I am at a loss on this one. My next step is to run a boot virus check I suppose, as this system had over 300 trojans, virus' and malware.

This is a friends computer that has a bunch of his work related documents so I don't want to reformat or anything unless it has to.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Before doing anything with that drive back up all files (use Acronis or simply boot with any Linux distro and copy all documents/files on other drive internal or external) so nothing will get lost and no one will blame you.

Next thing: check hard disk health status with Acronis or other software or try to run XP's native checkdisk (in safe mode or through xp cd)
    stinger608 says thanks.
  3. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Doesnt sound like the computer is even seeing the HDD in the first place? check in the BIOS and make sure the drive shows up there and set correctly for boot priority. Also check power and IDE/Sata cables are connected correctly.

If that doesnt work then the HDD might be dead
    stinger608 says thanks.
  4. stinger608

stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Yea I got all the important folders and files backed up. I think I am going to run Kaspersky rescue disc 10 to see if there is a boot virus.

shows up just fine in the bios. drive health seems to be fine.
    I think it is either a boot virus or something corrupt in the xp boot sector.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Ok, have you run a check disc repair? either from a windows disc or from command prompt>

Also scan the crap out of it from a secondary computer for viruses? Malwarebytes, Kasperksy, webroot etc?

Also Winows XP booting from the disc will give you the option of replacing all windows files but leaving all other files alone, try that also?
  6. stinger608

stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Okay very odd. I ran a Kaspersky rescue disk 10 and found nothing. In the Kaspersky menu it allows to boot to the hard drive. I clicked that and it booted right up to Windows XP!

Pulled the rescue disk and rebooted and it STILL gives me the no boot device!!!!>?>?>?

I am at a frigging loss here.
    Crunching for Team TPU