1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP Pro boot takes forever.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by kodex, Dec 11, 2007.

1. kodex New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't changed anything that I can recall, but my boot has taken forever since yesterday. I'm sure I waited about 5 minutes for it. The first time it happened, check disk popped up after a while. it said everything was fine. After a small pause, it took me to my login screen. When I turned on my computer this morning, it also took around 5 minutes. The loading bar paused for about 5 seconds somewhere in there, but then it continues right where it left off. After maybe 30 seconds, the screen goes blank but my monitor doesn't go into sleep mode. After 15 seconds or so, I got to the login screen. Has anyone seen this before?

2. sheps999

sheps999 New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK. Where it's always lovely and su-...no, never m
    Do you have any USB devices plugged in on boot? I have a USB pen that can't be plugged in on boot, or else my PC hangs at a blank screen just after the POST.

kodex says thanks.
  3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    kodex says thanks.
  4. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^^ Yup.

kodex says thanks.
  5. kodex New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the help, but this has not solved my problem. My boot takes just as long. The only thing that this has done is made my computer somewhat unresponsive once it gets to the desktop. Also, all I ahve plugged into my USB ports is my keyboard.

6. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    kodex says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Virus protection and spyware protection is a must. (Avast, Spybot) Turn off all unwanted processes. Cunsult a tweak guide. Try deleting everything in your temp and prefetch folders.

kodex says thanks.
  8. kodex New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, that's a new one for me. The reason Bootvis didn't do anything for me was because I didn't run it, I only installed it. Anyway, it cut my boot time down quite a bit, but it still isn't normal. I see the Windows logo for perhaps a minute and a half, but the screen is still dark for maybe 45 sec before I see the login screen. After I login, I see my desktop back ground for I-don't-know-how-long before my taskbar pops up. What could cause my system to suddenly take so long to boot?

9. kodex New Member

Thanks Received:
    I turned my machine off while it was booting and was therefore presented with the boot menu on the next startup. For shits and giggles, I selected 'Last Good Configuration'. My machine booted perfectly and was real snappy when I got to the desktop. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

10. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    kodex, glad to hear you've fixed it. For other readers with a similar problem, try:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=46590

With the tool you can check what apps/services are launching at boot, and why they may be slowing you down. It is often one app/service that is looking for a device or connection (either internet or LAN) that waits the full "timeout" before letting the OS proceed with bootup. It can be a real headache. 30, 60 or 90 secs just hanging there and waiting. By disabling the service, or deleting the redundant software, the bootup can be fixed. Dead printer queues can also cause this problem, as can changed network shares.

Use www.ccleaner.com and set to auto-run on boot to keep your system clean for the "next" boot.