• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

windows xp repair problem

Phelllip

Processor S478 P4 3.0E@3450mhz
Motherboard Asus P4P800
Cooling Scythe Ninja 1000, custom chipset cooler
Memory 2x512 Dual Channel OCZ Premier Series @460mhz
Video Card(s) Asus 6600GT agp
Storage Seagate Barracuda 160gb S-ATA
Display(s) CRT flat 17''
Case X-Blade+mods
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ Modstream 450W
Software WinXp Sp2
I have some problem with my windows so I tried to repair it, but when I booted with the CD, there was only the following options: install windows, delete partition, exit.....so I pressed install windows (usually, you can press R and repair but it wasn't there)... so all it did is install a new windows so now when it boots, I have to choose between the two.... 1st: how can I delete the other windows I installed and that I don't want...2nd: can I repair my current windows not by booting the cd?

thanks

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
u can alter the default one it boots to.. and theorectically u could copy bits from one to the other.. assuming u know which bits to copy..

my approach is to run a small drive or partition for windows and basic apps.. then use win or barte pe to make a drag and drop back up of it every so often.. if i bugger my windows up its the easiest thing in the world to delete it and copy in my back up..

i use ERUNT (freeware) to make daily registry backups every time i boot my machine. it does this automatically.. if i bugger my registry up its again the easiest thing in the world to replace it..

i do this for one simple reason.. repairing windows useing windows is not very often possible.. it dosnt let u overright or delete stuff thats in use.. barte pe is a freeware self contained windows on a cd so to speak.. boot from it and use its explorer to copy alter or delete what u like in the real windows..

trog