1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP: The Life And Times Of The Undead OS

Discussion in 'General Software' started by qubit, Nov 3, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Enthusiasts like us may have abandoned Windows XP long ago, but businesses and many home users are still clinging on to it for dear life. In the case of XP, Microsoft truly was a victim of its own success - and of it's dreadful sequel, Vista.

Here's an interesting article about XP. Warning: long attention span required.

Oh heck, now even my forum threads start to read like news stories. :laugh:

PC World
  2. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I have not abandoned Windows XP
  3. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Same here, i have ummm 8-9 PC's here and 2 run windows 7, 2 run linux, the rest XP.

There is no point running Vista/7 on a 5-6 Yr old PC, it will only run slower.
  4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    I still have XP on two systems. But, they definitely are not "enthusiast" systems, now.:)
    Nice tight O/S for an older or limited system.
  5. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    whats wrong with vista?
    Red_Machine says thanks.
  6. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Whats right with Vista? :laugh:
  7. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I, too, would like the answer to that.
  8. Suhidu

Suhidu

Thanks Received:
    I guess that at this point, the criticism of Vista is more about the joke of Vista being terrible than it is honest criticism of Vista. Supposedly it was much more buggy around the time of its release, but that was before my time with it anyway. I don't have any big criticisms of Vista in my day-to-day use, besides things that either any version of Windows would [make me ]suffer from, or where there's a 3rd-Party, free solution that usually bests what any version of Windows would offer out of the box (e.g., Workspaces). To summarize, it sucks. So thank god for Windows 7.

(Also, I think it soured allot of people on Vista when their first exposure to it was on a cheap OEM machine running with 1GB of RAM. Vista is horrible when run like that.)
  9. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    i bought in my daughter pc a nice tv-tuner which she used under xp without any issue;remote control was functioning prefectly; under vista or 7 the remote don't work anymore even with updated software so for me that's what is wrong with vista as she had to go from bed to pc to change a fcking channel so for me xp is more mature than vista or 7
  10. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    No, it doesn't make it more mature. Lack of compatibility with older hardware is ALWAYS an issue with a new OS. I can list several peripherals I owned from my Windows 95 PC that refused to function on XP.
  11. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    My joystick bought in 1999 for a Windows 98 PC works in Vista and Windows 7.
  12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well i run 1 XP machine and 2 Vista and 1 Win7 Machine and don't have a issue with any of them lol.

As someone else said why put vista or win7 on a old ass system there is no point even if it ran as good it would only show you have money to burn..

And tell ya the truth the only thing i like Win 7 for is the taskbar lol.
  13. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Vista wasn't good, secure or as fast as Win XP from the get go and that's why it got a lot of hate, infact to get it to run as nicely as XP you either had to tweek it like I did or wait 2 years for 2 SP's and then Win 7 got released anyway which was better than it in nearly everyway from the get go. Once it had gained that bad press from it's release no matter how many service packs you throw at it, it wouldn't change the perception of people. I have no reservations in thinking it is probably as good or close to as Windows 7, however who is going buy Vista over Windows 7? no one. It's more dead than XP. That's what is wrong with Vista
  14. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Joysticks don't require drivers, usually.
  15. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    i think u didn't understand what i wrote...:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/co...pf=8&pi=6&c=TV Devices&sc=TV Tuners&os=32-bit

almost forget for 7...:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co...-P8000&l=en-US&pf=0&pi=0&s=gt-p8000&os=64-bit

so all shall be ok and is not;had made a few fresh installs of os with latest drivers for tuner and "i'm compatible 100%" fc this
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011