• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP "Tweaks" -myths ; take care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Testing

Material has been removed as allegedly copyrighted, as per request of the alleged holder of the copyright.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Great write-up. But I disagree with a few of them, depending purely on your situation and your usage. For instance, RAM Optimizers. (And I'm sure Alex will chime in here) In my own personal testing, on a Duron 900MHz powered laptop w/192MB ram running XP(stripped significantly with nLite) running WMP and firefox would eventually lead to unacceptable amounts of page outs. This is do to the fact that Firefox consistently uses more and more ram the longer it is open(has to do with it's caching routines). Running FreeRamXP Pro, set to automatically free ram when it got below 20MB, consistently improved multitasking performance. Carelessly using it however, did decrease performance in applications when the os wasn't paging out that much.

Testing

Thank you Wile.

You are correct in stating that programs like FireFox will encounter page faults or page outs, and especially in a low ram situation.

Consider:

Automatic settings(or manual) for RAM optimizers usually hit people at the worst time in their computer usage, but they can also help salvage whatever you are working on in real time, even if it does give the system a few consecutive hiccups.

In any situation where you're down to instances of 10 or 20 MB forcing RAM defragmentation is always going to provide a temporary relief and 'boost,' because at those low levels, the system is now using more and more virtual memory.

It seems the main point was that RAM defragment programs can be memory band-aids at time, but do more harm than good to the system and are not to be substituted in place of adding more physical RAM.

Which can also be supported by studying the different effects of different RAM defragment programs.
In about fifteen that I've come across I always notice that they all differ in the maximum amount of memory you can 'optimize.'

Some of them will not let you surpass the amount of available physical ram you currently have.
This would seem to be a 'safe' memory defragmentation, as forcing the system to provide more physical ram(at certain levels, respectively)
would push code out of the already running process and applications(see bold comment in RAM Optimizer paragraph).

Then there are programs like TuneUp, that have a memory defrag that will allow you to allocate something ridiculous like 980 MB or more.
These will force code out, and you can tell because opening previously closed programs and using current programs can suffer heavily.

I think a good way to appropriatley manage memory, is to A) Make a separate boot process for XP, that loads a more slim version, since you know you are going to NEED ram and/or B) Run a memory intensive application or game, preferably a game in full screen mode and then exit it. The system will provide you a RAM boost, but will be careful about what code it dumps from other processes.

However, having applied any XP "tweaks," can possibly hinder Windows from managing memory and other related processes properly, which for some people makes them end up requiring RAM optimizer programs.

Quite a viscious cycle.

Last edited:

Mastertech

plagiarism

No one gave you permission to plagiarize my site! Remove all of my copywritten content immediately.

XP Myths

Next time don't try and take credit for someone elses work.

:mad:

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
No one gave you permission to plagiarize my site! Remove all of my copywritten content immediately.

XP Myths

Next time don't try and take credit for someone elses work.

:mad:

First of all: Fact is, & this is an example you ought to 'drink in & digest' - I wrote the FIRST guide online for speeding up Windows NT-based OS, & as far back as 1997-2002 when it existed over @ NTCompatible.com (find me one older, & I'll take that back, but I haven't, to date)!

* Do you see me 'threatening others over copyrighted material' because they've also done one of these tuning guides, or even ENTIRE SITES based on the same idea, FAR after I did?? Answer - NO!

(I can't, simply because I did NOT write this Operating System, nor its parameterizable settings, & honestly? I wouldn't... not worth it, for the grounds stated above!)

Do you REALLY think what you have 'discovered' is TRULY ORIGINAL THOUGHT? Ask yourself that, & be honest w/ yourself, ok??

Secondly, nobody here (that I can recall @ least), EVER said Pagefile.sys clearing @ shutdown is "GOOD FOR PERFORMANCE" (other than above)... it's only REAL VALUE, is for security, potentially.

If they did here, other than above? I'd like to see it...

Third: About a pagefile.sys on a Ramdisk?

Ask folks over @ EEC systems/SuperSpeed.com, who know a HELL of a lot more than yourself or myself, if this is doable for BETTER performance on systems with TONS of RAM on them, like over 4gb (as far as software ramdisks), & also, if you look in my signature below??

That's a ramdisk, albeit a "Solid-State" one, that houses a pagefile.sys... So, now that you KNOW that? Well, is it "b.s./bad for performance" for me to place mine there on that ramdrive??

* Leave these folks alone...

APK

P.S.=> AND, yea: I know who YOU are too, but for the WRONG reasons: You're the one that called me a 'genius' sarcastically on ZDNet/CNET before...

Well, on THAT account? PUT it this way - Until you've done what I have in this field, or a guy like our host here, W1zzard? You're NO judge in it, whatsoever!

You're just some 'hack tech' that THINKS he is "GOD", because he read what others wrote, & then applied it, & found MAYBE a couple "stale/outta date" settings... big deal!

Heck - you're NOT EVEN RIGHT about a few (especially the third one above, & in ALL cases & scenarios), & guess what? Yes, you're the one who's got 'stale info.' about it. See the above First-Third I put up.

(That, OR until you have a degree from an accredited school in the field of comp. sci. & then, it had BEST be a masters or doctorate, "genius"!)... period! apk

Last edited:
Processor i7 2600k@4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI z68ma-ed55
Cooling Silentx Extreem 120mm
Memory 2x4gb XMS 7-8-7-20 1600
Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 2x128gb Kingston Hyper-X (Raid0), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1)
Display(s) Soyo 24", Gateway 22"
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini 6x120mm fans.
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
Myth "windows xp is the fastest windows operating system" (c)Microsoft

Alec§taar

Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
For instance, RAM Optimizers. (And I'm sure Alex will chime in here) In my own personal testing, on a Duron 900MHz powered laptop w/192MB ram running XP(stripped significantly with nLite) running WMP and firefox would eventually lead to unacceptable amounts of page outs.

They're useful on 2 ground that I know of, to gain performance (by stopping things that are affected adversely by, believe it or not, the OS cache (IBM DB/2), & memory fragmentation (Exchange Server))!

See here @ MS, & IBM:

Exchange Server #1:

XADM: The Extensible Storage Engine Database Engine Contributes to Virtual Memory Fragmentation Exchange 2000 Server, like many large scale programs, may experience virtual memory (VM) fragmentation. Over time, the server may not perform well, & you may not be able to mount storage groups because of VM fragmentation.

----------------------------------------------
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324118

Exchange Server #2:

XADM: You Experience Excessive Virtual Memory Fragmentation on a Heavily Loaded Exchange Server Your Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server computer may experience virtual memory fragmentation at a much greater frequency than you expect. As a result, you may have to restart the Exchange 2000 computer more frequently than you expect.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828934

They are also useful for something that is not & never will be "110% perfect" in the diskcache itself, for all 'use cases/patterns of use', again, see here @ MS, where they are used to stop problems due to caching largely:

IBM DB/2

http://www.db2mag.com/qanda/030318.shtml

"minimize the operating system's use of memory for file caching. By doing so, you maximize DB2's working set memory for buffer pools, sort heaps, & lock lists."

For NEARLY the same reasons as below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234339

"WORKAROUND

You can run Clearmem.exe to recover from this problem. The Clearmem utility flushes the section used as file cache, thus the file object in question is dereferenced by running Clearmem. This tool is included in the Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 resource kit."

(Mostly, per the above? They help, w/ apps of "industrial environs" nature... not typical end-user use-patterns USUALLY (I have examples where they have been though from others) & programs used in them scenarios!)

APK

Last edited:

Mastertech

I don't care

Remove my copywritten material or I will contact my attorney. You have 24 hours to comply before I send a cease and desist notice to these forums web host. All the material that is on my site is copywritten and plagiarism is not allowed.

The first post completely plagiarized my web page: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

Processor i7 2600k@4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI z68ma-ed55
Cooling Silentx Extreem 120mm
Memory 2x4gb XMS 7-8-7-20 1600
Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 2x128gb Kingston Hyper-X (Raid0), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1)
Display(s) Soyo 24", Gateway 22"
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini 6x120mm fans.
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
Can anyone "own" advice?

I'm going to copywrite "don't piss in the wind" so I can sue everyone who says it. :rolleyes: People need to learn to better humanity thru the sharing of information not profit with it unless there's a manufacturing cost. Any of this information can be found on 100s of sites using google. oh shit I better pay google for using there name. :rolleyes:

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
LOL what an empty threat. How will you get this guy? IP address from W1z? lol

Alec§taar

Remove my copywritten material or I will contact my attorney. You have 24 hours to comply before I send a cease and desist notice to these forums web host. All the material that is on my site is copywritten and plagiarism is not allowed.

The first post completely plagiarized my web page: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

Let him take you to court! That, or just credit the crybaby... charlatan crybaby imo no less.

Hell - I'll VOLUNTEER to be your "expert witness" guys, if he does, & then countersue him for threats like this, & your mental anguish over it. Threats... not good.

LOL - Hey: First off - YOU did NOT write this OS, nor its parameterizeable registry settings!

Nor can you CLAIM to have some unique, patentable knowledge here... the ONLY folks that CAN do that, is Microsoft themselves. NOT you, not me, not anyone BUT MS!

* Do you even possess a degree in this field, specifically comp. sci.? What makes you such an expert, anyhow?? For such an 'alleged expert', how come you put up 'stale info.' (since you're good @ finding that from OTHERS, & YOU KNOW IT) about ramdisks above??

Want more from your site that's OUTTA date? I'll be GLAD to point it out.

APK

P.S.=> Again, read the above - you aren't even RIGHT on your site buddy @ points on certain points...

You copyrighted some falsehoods like those shown above, or inaccuracies?? Fine... take folks to court...

I'd like to see that, & then the guy above can simply countersue on the grounds you INTENTIONALLY mislead others with misinformation that is STALE (see ramdisks above, again, just to refresh your memory)... apk

Last edited:

Mastertech

Yes anything published can be copywritten, look up US Copywright law. My pages are my work. Remove my material or I will notify my attorney. This is not a game and these are not threats but promises.

Alec§taar

LOL... your work?

You read it from others, & wrote it down... b.s.!

:)

APK

Mastertech

AlecStaar I can clearly see you have no respect for anyone's copyright or creative work. That speaks volumes about your lack of integrity on all issues. This is a simple case. I have screen captured the forum post and forwarded it to my copyright attorney, who has informed me it is in direct violation of my copyright and is simply called plagiarism, he is waiting on me to let him know when I wish to notify the web hosting provided of these forums. Like I said I am waiting 24 hours. I hope the administrator of these forums is more respectful of someone's copyright then some of it's members.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Do you think any real judge would give a shit? I sure in the hell don't. Great article.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Your attorney must be a moron. He is not plagiarizing your crap, he is critisizing and questioning it. You are the type of asshole that robs someones house and then goes and sues the property owner because you fell on his wet kitchen floor. Yes you are.

Namslas90

AlecStaar I can clearly see you have no respect for anyone's copyright or creative work. That speaks volumes about your lack of integrity on all issues. This is a simply case. I have screen captured the forum post and forwarded it to my copyright attorney, who has informed me it is in direct violation of my copyright and is simply called plagiarism, he is waiting on me to let him know when I wish to notify the web hosting provided of these forums. Like I said I am waiting 24 hours. I hope the administrator of these forums is more respectful of someone's copyright then some of it's members.

Integrity!! Intresting concept, shouldn't that have started when you copied what you wrote??

Mastertech

Your attorney must be a moron. He is not plagiarizing your crap, he is critisizing and questioning it. You are the type of asshole that robs someones hose and then goes and sues the property owner because you fell on his wet kitchen floor. Yes you are.
You have obviously never been involved in a copyright lawsuit. I have and won each time, my attorney is hardly a moron and since you are not a copyright attorney I suggest you speak to one. All that is necessary is proof that the copyright violation was committed. The initial post here directly plagiarized my site. If he linked to it and then made comments about the contents without plagiarization that would be different but that is not what he did.

Alec§taar

AlecStaar I can clearly see you have no respect for anyone's copyright or creative work.

Actually, I do... a great deal of it... WHEN ITS THEIR WORK!

(I know that stuff you wrote down from others above, is NOT your work... you simply restated the words of others, this is all. I don't see you deny this either, ever above in fact, when I state it plainly about yourself & the material itself!)

Put it this way:

Ever see the film "A Beautiful Mind"?

I am going to state just what the main character said to his adversary, about the 'papers he wrote':

"There is NOT a fundamental original thought in the lot"

Again - are you the Ms developer that created those parameters in the registry? If so, I'll eat my words, gladly.

That speaks volumes about your lack of integrity on all issues.

Oh, SURE - kind of like how you took the thoughts & findings of others, & claim them as your own??

LOL, you are OFF, on far more than the ones I point out above mind you... want MORE examples?

I guess YOU like to misinform & mislead others, w/ your "COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL" (not yours to begin with, no less - the ideas are NOT yours, the words may be), which is stale & I evidence it above.

This is a simply case. I have screen captured the forum post and forwarded it to my copyright attorney, who has informed me it is in direct violation of my copyright and is simply called plagiarism, he is waiting on me to let him know when I wish to notify the web hosting provided of these forums. Like I said I am waiting 24 hours. I hope the administrator of these forums is more respectful of someone's copyright then some of it's members.

Sure is... come @ this kid, & I will rip you & your attorney + any 'expert witnesses' he comes up w/, vs. the kid that posted this, right in half - just for kicks/gratis.

* See, I still remember when you had the GALL to sarcastically call me "genius" on CNET/ZDNet... payback's a bitch, 'MasterTech' (more like hack tech, & I mean that).

APK

Last edited:

Mastertech

Integrity!! Intresting concept, shouldn't that have started when you copied what you wrote??
You mean where the works are cited and sourced and only an excert is cited? That is integrity and legal. Copyright violations are not.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Mastertech needs a woman... or a man? I'm done here.

Namslas90

You mean where the works are cited and sourced and only an excert is cited? That is integrity and legal. Copyright violations are not.

So your saying because you "copyrighted" it first. it doesn't matter that you stole the information!!

Mastertech

I will wait to hear from the administrator of these forums since I suspect it's uninformed members who have nothing to lose do not speak for him before proceding with any civil action. Since AlexStaar is not a copyright attorney and doesn't understand that you don't need witnesses to win a civil copright suit, only simply evidence that the violation was committed.

Stating something in my own words makes it MY WORK and thus falls under MY COPYRIGHT. When you plagiarize this you VIOLATE MY COPYRIGHT. This is illegal and grounds for a civil suit.

Mastertech

So your saying because you "copyrighted" it first. it doesn't matter that you stole the information!!
I didn't steal any information. Stealing is what was done here, since nothing was cited or sourced. I cited SOME information that is FULLY sourced. My page however includes a majority of my own words. This is legal and falls under my copyright when included in the context of the page as a whole. Any citation individually is the direct copyright of the original author, which is why it must be cited and sourced. This however was pure plagiarization. I spend alot of time creating my pages and don't appreciate the material being stolen. The author of this initial post could have simply linked to my site.

Status
Not open for further replies.