1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP wont load anymore...

Discussion in 'General Software' started by acousticlemur, Jul 10, 2007.

1. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    my computer has been working great for months. i have been leaving it on 24/7 for a few weeks now cause of the Fold @ Home program. last night i played BF2 on a local server with my girl friend for a few hours and then put in wicker man to burn it while i went to bed. got up this morning and all was well, took out the movie checked my email and all that stuff and then shut it down. came back a few hours later and now XP wont load. it gets to the screen where it says "Microsoft Windows XP" and the blue scrolling bar and after about 4 or 5 passes of the bar the hard drive led goes out and the hard drive stops seaking /reading /writing or what ever it does when windows loads. i can get into safe mode and vista ultimate just fine. i tried safe mode and went to the event viewer to see if there were any problems but it says i cant view anything there. i have tried last known good config and still the same. as of right now it has been at the windows loading screen for 30 min and still not loaded. any ideas?? i might just format anyway cause there is nothing better performance wise than a fresh install :D but backing it all up will be a pain in the ass. anyone have same / similar issues? is there any way i can view a boot log that could lead me to correct the issue? thanks in advance... :D
    :banghead: :confused: :mad: :twitch: :respect: :cry: :pimp: :rockout: :toast:

2. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    1 thing it might work is to run a scandisk thru vista.

did you have before corrupt files? does you make a windows update?
    check you S.M.A.R.T

3. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    too much overclock?
    try reseting cmos

4. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    maybe you got hacked, are you using a legitimate vista copy?

5. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    i would boot into XP's safe mode and use system restore to go back before the issue.:toast:

6. Jonnycat New Member

Thanks Received:
    It wouldn't hurt to run memtest just to make sure your RAM is okay.

7. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried that still the same problem.

i am running scan disk right now but i think everything is ok. i have not had any windows errors or anything problematic in at least 6 months... i knew it was too good to be true

I tried it at stock (1.8) and still the same effect... the only thing in my computer that is not at 100% is the PSU which has intermitent drops in the 3.3v rail sometime, but even that has not happened in months. this really sucks cause i am gonna get my new vid card soon (RMA replacement for my dead 9600XT) :D

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  8. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    also before this issue started my computer would freeze up for about 5 to 10 seconds and then be fine for a few min and then do it again. and just before it would hang i would hear the hard drive click like it was shutting off for standby. and then it would freeze for a few seconds and then be all good. then the hard drive would click and it would freeze all over again. this happened for about 10 times in a 20 min period so i restarted the computer and now i am stuck where i am.... but vista works great and i booted to my Ubuntu live cd and that works great(waiting on a new Sata 250GB drive and then i am gonna use my 120gb IDE for ubuntu) but anyway i dont think it is a bios or S.M.A.R.T. issue cause both XP and Vista are on the same hard drive with each one having a 60GB partition.

9. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    The CLICKS are a very disturbing thought!:cry:
    But the other OS's on the same drive with no problems leads to confusion for me.
    I would try running the CD repair option then reinstall mobo drivers.

10. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    i havent heard the clicks since then, but i havent been able to get into XP either. but i ran scandisk on the xp partition from vista with a reboot and scan and everything checked out. so i am very confused too. if i boot to the xp cd and go into repair what commands should i use? the only ones i am familiar with are fix boot fix mbr and sfc /scannow....

11. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    when I have a real dodgy thing like that I let the cd load the drivers then I kill the power when it going to load( cd windows) and start the pC as normal with out the xp disk in ,then reinstall mobo drivers ....this is by no means a formal fix but I have had luck in the past and more than once.

12. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Or maybe you can uninstall video suite while in safe mode(probably not though) and then see if that baby boots up and then reinstall...Dont know why for sure i'm even thinking video issues (software)....worth a shot as well.

13. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    If u search for something like that u can see that i have had that same problem, but not once twice!!! windows freezes on the logo, just like u said, and keeps running, and the only way u can log onto ur computer is safe most with networkin or safe mode..yes, the only way to fix that is to reformat...i don't know how mine has happened these last 2 times, but i know the last thing i did before i turned off my computer and it did it was running Ccleaner issues thing.. so for now on i always save my registry files when i delete CCleaner issues and if something ever works i will get into safe mode and put them back..
    i hope at least;)
    hope that help me man, sry that i can't tell u what can fix it without reformatting but i tried everything that u can thing of myself and nothing.. :ohwell:
    hope everything gets worked out for u.
    -slip