• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Winflash Gone Bad

S

SmiGDig

Hey guys,

I just got everything ready and followed the guide (http://forums.ocfaq.com/showthread.php?t=2755) exactly using Winflash to softmod my 9800Pro to a 9800XT. I have the R360 Core.

I loaded the BIOS to winflash and then told it to program. The screen went black as I believe it should and nothing happened for 10 minutes. The screen wouldnt show an image or anything. I then hit the reset button since the guide said to reboot the computer, I didnt know if I would have to do that or ATI tool would. Now my comp is dead and the video wont load. Can I fix this in any way? I'm leaving for school saturday so I'm either going to have to order a new card or fix this in some way.

This is very important i get it taken care of soon.

Thanks, Adam

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
All i can say is get that 9800 the hell outa that comp!

sersalpha

Perhaps if you got a PCI video card and got it working as the a VGA output, you could get into Windows or DOS and re-flash your 9800. Barring that, I'd say that you'd have to RMA your card.

pablofrogo

mpan3 said:
You can try a Blind flash.
That means flashing using DOS without the monitor working, in-case you didn't know ;)

S

SmiGDig

Well I went out and bought a PCI card. I booted with that and had a win98 startup disk. That loaded then i put in another floppy with flashrom and the geforce 128 9800xt bios i downloaded. I used flashrom 2.6, the latest version, it flashed and said everything was verified and it had a success beep at the end and i rebooted. I set my bios back to load the agp card and put all the settigns back to normal, took out the pci card, and hooked the monitor to the 9800 but still no go. i even just cleared the cmos and still nothing.

pablofrogo

Flash it back to pro... it's the only way to be sure that it really is dead.

S

SmiGDig

I fixed it. :eek:

I just put back in the original bin.... i'm very glad that fixed it and I on't be messign around with that for a while.

The gecode (i believe is this brand) 9800pro xt 128mb driver people were suggesting I use wasnt cooperatign with the board and gav me a crap load of worries today. Also, I never was able to boot an flash off a bootable cd... I guess I was usign the wrong ones... It was much easier with the classic win98 startup disk but I had to install the floppy drive in both comps which was a hastle... multiple times to keep changing the files if they didnt work.

kRaZeD

Processor E6600
Motherboard ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS-7700Cu
Memory 2gb Corsair XMS2-6400
Video Card(s) 7900GT
Storage 700gb across 4 drives.
Display(s) CMV 221D
Case Antec P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Moosic
u still running windows 98?? =\

S

SmiGDig

kRaZeD said:
u still running windows 98?? =\

No WinXP

It flashed fine, but that BIOS doesn't work on my card... At first that's why I thought it was a corrupt flash. I have an MSI 9800Pro 128 and tried the Gecube 9800XT 128 BIOS

T

TARRANTELLA

i'm very glad that fixed it and I on't be messign around with that for a while.
:D
Probably a good idea. I have both a 9800Pro and 9800XT. The benefits of the XT, slightly better IQ, and faster stock clocks are imho not worth potentially frying your card. I've flashed a few mobos, but cards are not as flash friendly from what I have read.