1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wintel Tablets Aim to Push Down iPad Market Share to 50% by Mid-2013

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Apr 18, 2012.

?

Do you think such a market share is realistic?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With a new line of Atom processors optimized for low-power devices, and Microsoft's touch-optimized Windows 8 operating system, the Wintel (Windows+Intel) alliance aims to reduce the stranglehold that Apple iPad has over the tablet market, all the way down to 50 percent. The duo also aim for this to happen as relatively early as by mid-2013. What makes this an ambitious claim by Wintel alliance, is that while iPad currently holds over 70 percent of the tablet market, it's not that Wintel tablets hold the remaining 30 percent. A bulk of iPad alternatives are tablets running Google's Android operating system, and ARM processors. It would be interesting to see the outcome of this Mexican-standoff in the making (between Windows+Intel, Android+ARM, and Apple iPad), at the end of 2013.

[​IMG]

Source: DigiTimes
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo. Yeeeaaaah!

But this is good news imo. More competition etc etc and I really like the idea of a "proper" x86 tablet.
  3. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I'll believe it when I see it. People love the iPad too much.
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, they are setting their goals very high. Expect ad campaigns en masse.
  5. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    i want a windows 8 tab... so bad..
  6. meirb111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it will be great only if the price will be no more then 300$
  7. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    the world. its going to fast. someone slowww itt dowwnnnnnnn
  8. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I think its possible they will take 50% share of the pad market. so long as the pad they are selling is cheaper and performs almost identicaly minus the OS that apple uses (ios???)

however i do have doubts...ipads aint exactly cheap so Apple must be doing something right if it holds 70% market share, but this percentage can be skewed as people might buy the older generation pad instead of the new one for a cheaper price an ipad is still an ipad reguardless of whether its first, second, third or even fourth generation.

HOWEVER, thats not to forget that the market is also flooded with cheap Android tablets which are dirt cheap. so M$ will have to take that into consideration too
  9. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that iPad market share going down to 50% is realistic, even below that, Wintel tablets being the reason for that, not so much. I think that Windows + ARM and Android + ARM will actually dominate Wintel on what's left by Apple.
  10. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    True but I think some people are finding the iPad a little to restrictive. I get asked by many people at work who have iPads asking if they can do this or that, and I always have to tell them "yes but you need to download this app and set up an account here" or "yes but you need to buy this app" etc.

With a Wintel Tablet, it's a portable Windows device so people who find that the iPad doesn't do everything they want to do will buy a Windows device they can take with them and do everything an iPad does, and more. Trust me, there IS a market for that, and it's getting pretty big.
  11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Nice to set goals, but in one year, they expect to take 1/2 of the market away from BOTH Android and iOS? Not likely.
  12. Octavean

Thanks Received:
    Windows + Intel tablets along with Windows + ARM may be formidable but Apple iOS (ARM) and Google Android (ARM) is synonymous with the word “Tablet”.

Also I think a lot of consumers are too entrenched in their thinking to look for anything else other then Apple / Google.

I have an Asus Eee Slate EP121 Windows 7 PC tablet (x86 / x64) Core i5 470UM (1.33GHzTurbo Boost up to 1.86GHz) and will likely install Windows 8 on it when it goes gold. I also have an iPad (3rd gen) and an HP Touchpad. I may get an ARM based Windows 8 tablet but Windows + Intel tablets just are different animals. They are more like laptops without keyboards and most have weak Atom or low-end AMD chips.
  13. meirb111 New Member

Thanks Received:

they are talking about low power atom based tablet not like the one you have ,its cpu is
    much to power hungry .
  14. Psychoholic

Thanks Received:
    If its anything as rock solid stable and performs as fluid as windows phone 7.5, its going to be pretty awesome..
  15. coldtortilla New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well Intel already made some refrence atom tablets that are aimed for the education market that said they would cost around $200 so yea I cannot wait to see what they design for their Wintel tablets.
  16. coldtortilla New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully these Wintel tablets have at least a 1280 x 720 display because windows 8 doesn't really support lower res desplays, well at least their marketplace doesn't.
  17. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    ??? An iPad is an iPad regardless of OS, but an Android tablet is an Android tablet regardless of version or manufacturer. M$ isn't talking about taking 50% of the tablet market, they're talking about reducing Apple's market dominance to 50%. This also takes into account the share Google has at the moment.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  18. powerline777 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure about anyone else, but lately the Apple idea curve has been running a little slow. Lots of creeping businesses are out there stealing tiny market share.

I want my Macbook Pro 2012. Been waiting since dec!