1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WinTV-1800 Pass through Audio?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by freaksavior, Sep 23, 2012.

1. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    Can you use this to pass through audio? Im trying to get my ps3 to pass through my pc so I can play it out my speakers but so for no luck.

yes I have my drivers installed, yes I can hear sound : )

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Your trying to get your PC to play the sound for your PS3?
    PS3 sound to come out your PC speaker?

Technically its not pass thought. Its analog. You just need to use the input on your sound ether MB or card.

I did notice the WinTV-1800 has Left / Right Stereo Audio inputs but not sure why? Its a tuner card. Use an adapter to mini jack and plug it into your sound card

Pass-though implys its passing off the decoding to another device. Unless of course a PS3 has a toslink conection or HDMI. I dont know

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  3. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    how are you connecting the audio? via hdmi, optical/toslink/ or the RCA connectors? Also, What sound card does the system have? If its onboard what motherboard?

You may be able to get an RCA > miniStereo adapter and then plug into the Line-In jack on your sound card (not mic) and then enable playback of Line-In through your sound card/chip's software.

More than 25k PPD
  4. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Heh yeah! You're right but it has hdmi, optical, etc but my speakers are a 3.5mm jack. The TV tuner has Audio input for recording, I assumed I could simply plug it in and use it as an audio in and pass it to the speakers. Maybe Im wrong here.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I get what your trying to do. Not sure. You will probably only hear it when its recording. Just get a RCA to mini jack adapter

6. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    I bought one from Radioshack for about $8. It was kinda pricey but I wanted one with good quality since I knew I'd be unplugging and moving it a lot for my other stuff. So far its been pretty sturdy and its gold plated so I know its not the weak link in the audio signal. There are some cheaper ones out there for about $4, some don't even have the color code though for L and R.

Oh yea mine wasn't the cable type but a small adapter with the connectors on either side/end. 2x female RCA on one end and 1x male mini stereo on the other side.

More than 25k PPD
  7. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Hmm Alright, well I was trying to not spend any money but oh well. Thanks guys!

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    let me look up that model of the card and see what i can find out.

edit: their site really sux... no real information about the hardware. If I found the right one, your's has two RCA connectors near the bottom of the card. I'm guessing this is the Line-In feature for this card.

this is the best I can think of... (assuming windows 7 properly detects the hardware's line in)

Step One: Plug in the audio from the PS3 to the RCA on the tuner
    Step Two: Right click the speaker icon near the clock on the start menu and select "Recording Devices"
    Step Three: Look for anything listed that relates to your TV tuner's Line-In, make sure it is enabled. When it says its "Ready" right click on it and select "Properties"
    Step Four: Click the "Listen" tab
    Step Five: place a check in "Listen to this device" and in the dropdown menu under that select your speakers for the playback.
    Step six: Play a game and test the audio... If its working Enjoy!
    Optional step... go back to step three, when the properties box comes up click the "Levels" tab. Here you can adjust the input volume of the device

Hope this helps, and that it lets you do so

edit: should you decide to get an adapter for the rca, these steps are pretty much the same for the line in on your sound card.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
    More than 25k PPD
  9. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Got it! I figured out you had to setup the AV input as a channel. I thought it would be a configuration. Kinda was.

xBruce88x and Jetster say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    Yea I was hoping there'd be a way to change the input as a channel... kinda what I was trying to get you to do with the instructions I posted. I wish their website for your card was more useful. Glad you got it working and enjoy!

freaksavior says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD