1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[WIP] New Gaming rig in time for Skyrim

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by theeldest, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I'l be back on the box right after Halloween, so I'm hoping you can get me some 'clocking numbers to play with by the time I get back, Eldest :)
  2. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    I spent a couple hours last night benchmarking the main RAID5 array. Now I'm unsure what I should do for performance. Performance is all over the place when I rerun the same benchmark.

I was getting 4k write speeds of 10 MB/s to 75 MB/s.

Sequential Reads were 300 MB/s to 550 MB/s.

The RAID10 setup had much more predictable performance but only tops out reads at 250 MB/s

Seeing as this is a gaming machine I'm trying to think when writes would be important and whether it's worth the hassle of reimaging with a RAID10 setup.

Thoughts?
  3. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Alright Eldest, it's out, you should be playing it, what's the scoop??!!
  4. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    Ok ok, sorry for the zombie thread.

Updates:
    1. I reinstalled and went to RAID10 again. I don't think there's a noticeable difference except in copying large files but I can always go back to RAID 5 (I had to do the reinstall for other reasons, not RAID related)

2. I finally got the replacement to the second 6950 (about a month ago). And it successfully flashed to 1536 shaders. That's 5 for 5 that flashed to the 6970 shaders. Sweet!

3. Peripherials:
    I'm waiting on the Razer Tiamat 7.1 surround headset to be released.
    I'm waiting on $$ for a couple more monitors (Eyefinity, here I come!)

4. Other non-gaming stuff
    When I put this together I really only used it for gaming. Well, now I am rocking some pretty big excel sheets, VBA macros, perl scripting, etc. I'm thinking I could benefit from an i7 and may upgrade to Ivy Bridge when it releases. Thoughts?
  5. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Hmm... Still sitting on a single 2Tb drive, since drive prices went haywire two weeks after I ordered mine :) Think even when prices return, I'll probably just replace older drives, and keep going :)
    You. Stink.

Mine are non-reference, and don't seem to want to do ANYthing useful :(

eh, the Fiance nixed the Asus special on 23 Monitors a couple of months back, and money's still a bit tight, so I'm stuck with two, and just enjoying playing in the CS with the render screen on the right monitor :)

Can't help you here, just playing around with mine, and doing some minor Photoshop and Quark work on it. The real question, are you enjoying the darn game??!!??
  6. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    Same boat. I was looking to get at least 1 more 2TB drive for the server but they are way too high. Got the original 4 at $79 but they're still $159. That's just stupid expensive.

Have you tried editing the bios with RBE? That should work even if they're not reference cards. (assuming not laser cut)

OH MY GOD YES!! I'm only 80 hours in, though. I've done the main quest but still have thieves, assassins, companions, mages & bards questlines to do.

I stopped for a while in December as I was waiting for the construction kit to come out. I'm a hoarder and I needed a good house mod. (Dovahkiin Hideout)
  7. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I think I tried the RBE, and it just hung, but I'm not sure if that's when I was running XF or not, which would explain the problem. What steps did you run thru?

I did the same thing, come late dec, early Jan. Stopped, waiting for the CS. Went ahead and wiped it all out, and RELOADED (I hate steam, it's my copy, and I'll play it the way I want, damn it) the game. I've just barely escaped the first cave, and headed down the hill to wander right now. I've gotten distracted learing the CS, and building a small dungeon :) I've been playing a dual-wielding Bosmer so far, but I'll probably drop that when I get a solid bow, and fall back to my Ranger ways :)
  8. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    These instructions: http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_froz_iii_power_edition_unlocking,1.html

I've been playing a stealthy dunmer (named Nerevar). taking advantage of smithing & enchanting.
  9. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Ahhhh... I'm running XFX, so not sure how that will go, but I may try again this weekend :)
  10. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that link only works on this specific MSI,

I think the basic instructions are:
    1. Save BIOS from card using GPUz
    2. Edit BIOS in RBE to 6970 shaders
    3. Flash BIOS using ATIWinFlash
    4. Restart & Test

I did mine while they were crossfired and it worked (kinda surprised).
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
  11. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    So, I jumped on again last night to attempt to beat my XFX's into submission, and remembered what was gving me grief the last time. Whenever I start up ATIWinFlash, it really hoses my machine. Screen refresh goes to about once every 30 seconds for 2 or 3 minutes, then I get a short 3 or 4 second reprieve, where I can click or type, but then it goes haywire again. I can't stay stable long enough to TRY to change the BIOS, much less see what happens afterwards. The only thing I can find on Google refers to the machine stuttering/freezing after patching, or because of patching, or before patching... Nothing to do with just starting the software... Any ideas?
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
  12. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    **shakes fist**

Thanks guys for making this thread. Ended up spending some money(for a 2nd gpu/Skyrim) and enjoying the game LOL. :D
    Ahhzz says thanks.
  13. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    That's really kinda weird. I think you'll need to use the non-win version: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2099/ATIFlash_3.95.html

Yaaa!!! Another convert to the way of the scrolls!
    Ahhzz says thanks.
  14. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    grats!! :) Welcome to the fold! Don't forget to find the main thread that Kreij started, and we all frequent and harass :)

thanks, I'll give it a try tonite :)
  15. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Never did get them unlocked *sigh* I did however, snag an H60 from tiger on sale, and now running 28° idle, and 56° under 100% SuperPi :)
  16. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    That is pretty nice. I think you've got my temps beat.

Check if Intel Burn Test gives you higher temps than super pi or prime. ;-)
  17. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I'll give it a buzz tonite :)
  18. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    I know this is a super zombie thread but if anyone ends up looking at it here's an update!

2 GPUs that don't exhaust the majority of their heat out the rear of the case do not work well in the P180/280 series. There's just not enough ventilation to exhaust the heat.

And because someone I know IRL was asking for a picture of the cables hidden behind the motherboard tray, here's that:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, mine looks about that ugly on the back as well heheh. She's still running ok right now, with some fan noise from one of the vids, but otherwise well.

I'm in process of dismantling a few boxes upstairs, most of which go to the recycle. However, some choice pieces and frame will become my new Frankenstein's Monster. I've got an old AS400 IBM case with wheels, going to make that my base of ops. There'll be two power supplies (one dedicated to drives), and I've already gotten 2PCI and a PCIx SATA expanders for the drives. Probably won't be the gaming box, mainly for storage and DVDShrink duty.