1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

wireless bridging?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Easy Rhino, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i have three routers...

router A is from the ISP and must be used. it has wireless g and its own wifi access point.

router B is a netgear and has wireless n. i have the ethernet setup in bridge mode so whatever devices are connected to it (wireless or wired) receive an IP from router A.

router C is a trendnet and is setup the same way as router B but the wireless is turned off.

At this point router A and router B are bridged ethernet connections but have separate wifi domains. Is there a simple way to setup router B to act as a wireless bridge to router A ?

2. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
  3. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    hrm interesting option. i could always turn off the wifi on router A and instead buy one of those and place it in a better spot in the house and have it linked to router B.

4. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    yeah thats pretty much what im thinking... I want to extend my wireless to my garden patio... summer is on the way and instead of sitting in my home office I envisage sitting on the patio in shorts "working" away with a tab or laptop ;)

5. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
  6. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    If you want B to bridge with A wireless it needs to have that ability. Not all N routers do. Personally I would buy a modem and give there equipment back

7. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    with FIOS you have to use their equipment because it includes the router/modem and the connection to the television all through the COAX line from the fiber box.

8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    If it's Cisco-based hardware, you can up transmit power so it reaches about 250 meter sq. I have mine turned down to 1, still reaches out in my yard by about 15 feet, with the modem/router directly in the middle of my house, installed next to the furnace. My D-Link and Linksys routers could never push a signal that far.

Assuming you don't really need the other two routers. IF you do, then maybe a new router, or matching repeater would be the best bet.

9. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    if you can install ddwrt it's a simple option, unless i'm missing something.

10. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Can the router part of the 2 n 1 be turned off as well as the wifi part? Try to make it basically a modem only.

Use your best router as the router/wifi access point and then just get a range extender. This would simplify things.

To simplify further you can skip the range extender and just use a high power router.