1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

wireless extenders?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Easy Rhino, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    So I am a bit puzzled. I need to fill out a dead wifi spot in my house. Well, it isn't dead so much as connection strength for most devices is around 15-20%. I see that I can buy a wireless extender that claims to boost wifi signal. Sounds good but what is the point? I can connect to that wifi extender and have near 100% signal but wont the speed between the extender and the wifi router be poor so my bandwidth would still be very limited??????

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The point is that you put the extender in a place that has decent signal, and it then covers the dead spot. You don't put the extender in the dead spot itself.

remixedcat and 95Viper say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    ahhh. well that certainly makes more sense than what i was thinking. :laugh:

4. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
  5. Compgeke

Compgeke

Thanks Received:
    You can also use an old router and something like DD-WRT. I have a Netgear WNDR3400 that I got from a yard sale running DD-WRT and running as a "Repeater Bridge" which is passing through the DHCP and everything of my main wireless then extending the range.

I'm not sure how many dedicated extenders support changing the wireless channel, however that's one important thing you'll want to have, otherwise you can end up with the main router and repeater on the same channel which would have negative effects on signal.