1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wireless issues! please help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by saadzaman126, Apr 21, 2011.

1. saadzaman126

saadzaman126 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys

So I have a ASUS PCE-N13 wireless adapter on my PC and a Linksys antenna-less router, the problem is however my house is quite long and my computer and router are on opposite corners. So initially I was having the issue of getting even a good connection but some youtube videos and tin foil fixed that issue. The thing is, even though my connection shows it to be great, 85% + signal strength and link quality i still lag on 4v4 games anything with multiple ppl. While I'm lagging tho my signal strength still shows to be great. I thought maybe this was my internet provider but one of the perks of living in a small rich town is that there's good internet and not much surrounding traffic so I highly doubt it could be that because ppl I play with in the same town with the same provider are just fine.

I do have an N-router, and with speedtest.com get approx 15mbps down, and 0.96 up.

How can I fix this? I know most people will say move your router but that's kinda not possible because my dad like's it in his office and doesnt wanna use wifi he wants a hired connection and we have a VOIP phone connected to it.

Thanks in advance!

2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    umm.. maybe the easiest thing is buy hub and you can put your wireless on the right position

3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Wireless is terrible for gaming. The solution is to run an ethernet cable. Wireless is fine for net browsing, maybe data transfer depending on how big, but it's also great for random latency spikes.

95Viper says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure it isn't your connection (ISP) that is causing gaming lag issues? I mean if you're getting good wireless signal strength and all. What kind of ping times (to local computers and remote) are you getting? If you are (or people who share your connection) using a high percentage of your available bandwidth your gaming performance will suffer.

It's not 1989, we only buy switches these days :laugh:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  5. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    There are WIFI-extenders for sale. It consists of a tiny box positioned in the middel of both extremes. Costs about 50 € here.

Another solution is creating an electrical surge ethernet...

6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    :roll: :roll: i mean switch :D
    thats pretty cheap for now

7. saadzaman126

saadzaman126 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My ping times are like between 19-25, using speedtest.net so i'm assuming that's not too bad. So if i buy I switch I just gotta run a wire from my router to my switch and then a wire from the comp to the switch?

8. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Check your ping in game, i think speed test uses the closest server it can find to test your speed and ping.

Wi-Fi is pretty crappy for games, most people complain about dropped connections. If u want to game, i would definitely recommended running a wire.

9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Pick yourself up a set of these and ditch wireless. Wireless can be far to unstable to game on. You can run all the test you want on it and it will seem like it is fine, but when you acutally start to play games it will tank. Get yourself a set of those, and not only will they be faster than wireless, but they will be far more stable as well.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  10. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with newtekie, no matter where you put your router or if you buy a range extender, you are still going to have ping lag... There are just too many things that can interfere with the signal.

11. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I've seen those, they look really cool. a bit pricey when compared to just running a wire tho :(

12. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Depends on how much your time is worth and how your house is set up. If you have to punch a hole in the wall, put a box in, fish a cable through, run it through your attic or basement, punch a whole in the other wall, put another box in, then finish the cable with a jack at each end and a wall plate, it can be an all day affair. If your time is valuable, these can work out cheaper. It is a 5 minute fix vs. an all day event.

13. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have the time to just run ethernet cable, though, it's faster and probably a bit more reliable. Sure, it might take a day initially, but you'll make that up later in the time that you save not troubleshooting it or trying to speed it up.

14. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    You're right.. but punching holes in walls can be fun :D
    I don't know enough about those electricity wire network thingies to comment. It's always a good idea to read the reviews before buying anything new.

15. saadzaman126

saadzaman126 New Member

Thanks Received:
    with those av power things do they ever lag? idk, it seems kinda sketchy how they could be a suitable option instead of a wired connection, cause right now the distance between the router and my room even if i was allowed to punch holes, it still prolly wouldnt be possible for me to accomplish.

16. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    No, they don't lag when set up properly. They are way faster than wireless.

saadzaman126 says thanks.