1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wireless Network is weird

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by n-ster, Sep 17, 2009.

1. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

I FINALLY was able to connect by setting it up manually ( I did the same thing like 20 times and it finally worked for some reason o_O)

So I'm connected to a network that I can't see :p I've seen many things on the net, all linked to the Event Log service. Well mine is enabled and it still doesn't work. Since I cannot see the networks, I cannot connect to my school's hotspots etc, a bit annoying but not urgent (just have to find out their SSID with my itouch and then set it up manually I guess)

So any ideas how to fix this?

EDIT: It magically works now o_O no changes... didn't even restart the comp

EDIT2: Now it tells me i'm NOT connected but I am...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. twilyth Guest

so, could you update the status and describe what problems you have currently? I probably won't be able to help but I can always bump.

3. Morrison5891

Morrison5891 New Member

Thanks Received:
    is your router set to broadcast your network?

4. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    after EDIT2, I had another problem, the internet connection would drop every 3 mins or so... All the problems were NOT present with my other laptop while this one had them, but now, again, magically, everything works fine o_O No more problems at all and it seems it will not come back but thank you for your help :) I forgot to say I just reinstalled windows XP. :p

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Buggy network drivers, try downloading the latest ones from the manufacturer. And if it installs a 3rd party app to manage the network connection, you might have to use that, I've seen drivers not like working with Windows Zero Configuration and have strange behavior like this.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. twilyth Guest

I had a problem with one of my routers that I blamed on the ISP. I'd never had a router that worked intermittently, but apparently, that was the problem. I disconnected it and substituted a trendnet router and everything was fine.

If you can swap out the router, even if you have to connect directly to the modem for testing purposes or use a switch instead of a router, it might be worth a shot.

7. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    no, now everything works fine :) the other computers that were on internet at the same time this laptop which have problems still worked.... I have the latest drivers and it worked fine before and all... idk how the problem happened but it seems it went away, and i'm happy with that :p