1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wireless networking hardware?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Pinchy, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm setting up a wireless network for a friend, which consists of an older desktop, Inspiron 6400 laptop, as well as a new desktop I just built.

The old desktop is in the study room which will be hardwired to the router (also in the same room). The desktop I just built is almost on the other side of the house; its on the same level, but is 4-5 rooms away, with a corridor alongside each of the rooms. Between the 4-5 rooms, on the OTHER side of the corridor (seperated by a wall) is the longue room, where the laptop will be used. Im pretty sure the walls are not brick, just gyprock.

What I need is the wireless card for the desktop I built, as well as the router itself. I pretty much want full reception for all the computers, so it never drops out. The person I am doing it for was going to spend $200 on a Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router (802.11g) but its pretty old, and I am pretty sure I can get a better deal for her.

I dont really have a budget, but the cheaper the better. Basically, I really dont want to spend more than $200 on the router and card, and as I said, the cheaper the better.

My current router is an SMC WBR14-G, and that gives me full reception (with the Inspiron 9300 laptop) down two flights of stairs with double brick walls between...and thats only $60. (Got it two years ago on ebay for $45 posted :D). Hence, something cheap and reliable should be good :).
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Look into MIMO products. They usually have better output and reception. I have a ZyXel X550. It was cheap, and it's plenty powerful.
    Pinchy says thanks.
  3. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
    Pinchy says thanks.
  4. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried searching the ZyXel X550...nothing around over here :ohwell:. I shall look into MIMO products :D. Thanks for the heads up.

As cool as that looks, I wouldnt do it for someone im doing a job for :p...I might try it on my network though :cool:.

BTW guys, internet is ADSL, but looking to upgrade to ADSL2+ soon. (Normal routers take cable + ADSL dont they; its just the ADSL routers don't take cable)
  5. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
  6. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt know TBH, its just what I thought.

Now, another quick question...the person that im doing this network for knows someone who is into the latest tech and what not. Now, he is persistent in telling her to get the "Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router". I can't see whats so good about it...the review I have on it is dated back in 2004, and apparently its like an 802.11n router.....but 3 years ago, when technology wasnt up to date (hence PRE-N).

What confuses me is that there is a Linksys WRT150N Wireless N Home Router which is $120, and is a genuine "n" router. Wouldnt it be better than the Belkin pre-N router? (and for $80 less)
  7. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    its linksys routers iv got an both work fine, dont see any reason to get the belkin one if its more expensive

edit - if your setting it up anytime soon get netstumbler, will help to get best signal,
    [​IMG]
  8. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I don't get how the 3 year old router is better than the new router, and why he thinks a "pre-n" would be better than an "n"...
  9. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    slap him on the side of the head and say NO!
  10. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I might just do that :D.

lol, im looking into these Dlink and Netgear MIMO routers/wireless cards but wondering what would be better...the linksys 802.11n router or a dlink/netgear 802.11g router with MIMO.
  11. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Personally I would get a Linksys WRT54GL and install a 3rd party firmware on it. They go for about $55 in the states. Use the 3rd party firmware to up the radio power so you get a good signal in all the locations you need it.

That is what I have in my house and it works wonderfully. Hell, when I really upped the power I could pick it up a block away from my house, connect to it, and use it.

The 3rd party firmware also lets you do cool things like static DHCP, so you can set it up so that all 3 computers always get the same IP address(nice for port forwarding situations).

The firmware I use is Thibor's HyperWRT. http://www.thibor.co.uk/
    Pinchy says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hows the range of it without the third party firmware? Its only around $100 (posted) which isnt too bad.
  13. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Without the 3rd party firmware it wouldn't cover my enitire house, but my house is 2 stories+basement. The router is in the northeast room on the second story, and I could connect to it in most of my house, but the south west room on the first story and the basement were kind of bad and would drop out every once in a while.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, thats still not too bad :D.

I shall do some more research tomorrow. As for now, im off to bed :D.
  15. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    I use a belkin pre-N MIMO wireless router (in a 100yr old house with very thick walls) and not only do i get complete coverage inside the house but i get 108Meg connection at 100M range outside.

Definately get MIMO for extra coverage.
    Pinchy says thanks.
  16. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Think about a second hand netgear WAG102 or WG302 from ebay (DONT get WAG302, its buggy). These Network Bridge Access Points have got a high power output that will go some distance. You can also use them in "repeater" mode... which means you can put the thing somewhere in the middle of the house and it will basically bridge your router and your PC.
    Pinchy says thanks.
  17. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    ...P.S.

I use a WG302 as a base (bridge) and a WAG102 as a node(bridge) to link two buildings separated by a road. LAN on each side, printers and servers and PCs and laptops on each side. Works as a single LAN once bridged. NICE.
  18. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I have a WRT54Gv3, best thing EVER with the DDWRT fireware on it. I can increase the signal until it overheats, but I put a fan on it so no worries :)
    Pinchy says thanks.
  19. craigwhiteside

craigwhiteside New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think this is a good choice for you in my opinion

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-083-NG&groupid=46&catid=1012&subcat=

this router has the widest coverage and best signal strength for what environment you have, the signal is extremely powerful and 108mbps you cant go wrong, i have a super g+ wireless router and wnic and has never let me down, tried pushing a 5gb file and didnt drop the connection.

also i think this card will go perfect with it :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-020-NG&groupid=46&catid=1002&subcat=
    Pinchy says thanks.
  20. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Don't microwave your brain. I hope it is well away from pets and humans.
  21. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    I fear I already have... it's cool, when I measure the radiation of the room my CDV-700 says i'm going to die a painful death.
  22. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Nice for a typical domestic home. But if you want to send long distances, or build a long distance directional bridge, then you need an external antenna that you can enlarge, boost, or direct. Even do a home brew kit: http://www.saunalahti.fi/elepal/antennit.html http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html
  23. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    Just btw, it sits about about my head level on top of my computer so...
  24. craigwhiteside

craigwhiteside New Member

Thanks Received:
    well actually this router is used at my school and i can get a signal from the gates :), so i think the signal is pretty strong and reaches far
  25. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Good info. Impressive.