1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

wireless router recommendations, anyone?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by method526, Jan 6, 2010.

1. method526 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont have many wireless devices (so far a ps3, but will add a laptop in the mix, and guests laptops/wireless devices will follow later). i was thinking about getting a simple G router until more N choices come out and because the ps3 only has a b/g wifi adapter in it (i'd love to get simultaneous dual-band but my wallet disagrees with me at the moment).

my G router option:
    Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162134

i was planning on flashing Tomato on this router and go from there. however, i'm worried about speed and range/strength. My PC is on the middle floor. My PS3 is in the basement, and my laptop will be in my room. will this router be enough, or should i move on up to a N router? i was thinking about getting a WNDR3700, but i feel like it might be overkill for my needs. any thoughts? router recommendations are welcomed (i've had a linksys wrt54g something model, and it was good in the beginning but kept dropping, so linksys isn't my favorite ATM. i had a d-link cable modem a while ago and it artifacted on me, so d-link is also on my 'not so great' list).

-Thanks.
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    I just bought two of these(g54s), they are great. seriously. make sure to assign your pc a static ip before flashing.

I used dd-wrt, but from what I hear Tomato is good too. Im just used to dd-wrt so i stuck with it.

anyway, the routers themselves are small, but very powerful and obvious from looking at them, they are made if quality components.

I highly recommend it.

N is great, I have an N as well - if you can get an equally quality one for around the same price I would do it, but the chances of that are small.
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    the thing I don't like about the linksys (im using both) is that its antennae is some kind of linksys proprietary.

I needed them for hooking up to external directional antennae - and the linksys was not compatible.

I am using 2xbuffalo(w/ddwrt on each) to throw a 12mb cable line about 400+feet , a wrt54gl to handle my local network's routing (with a green-ethernet gigabit switch to up the transfer speed)

for your use though newtek is probably right, the wrt54gl may suit you better.
  5. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
  6. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    I'm with the Linsys/Sysco guys. Get one of them, they're way more reliable, and if you wait until they go on sale at Staples or Best Buy you can usually get them for dirt cheap. I've seen the wireless N go for $59.99 on sale, so I would just wait it out and check each week.
  7. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    if your gonna go wireless-g, get a linksys wrt54g version of somesort, preferably one with 8mb flash and 16mb ram.