1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wireless Setup

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by benj_mx, Feb 7, 2013.

1. benj_mx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

i would like to reach for your advise in what direction is best in setting up wireless network for 500 devices (smartphones). Its a 3000 sq ft open room/hall.

can i use consumer routers to load balance? say 5 routers and limit to 100 ips.

your comment is very much appreciated.

thank you
  2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    amped wireless is good. they make good routers.
    remixedcat says thanks.
  3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I tried to find the limit on my router. I think it is 120 per network but I couldn't find it. But there are 4 networks 1- 2.4, 1- 5.0, 2- guest

Just curious why so many?
  4. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

You are best off getting a router and then getting a few APs. The APs can then be limited to how many clients can connect. If the client can't connect to one they can move to the other.

enterprises have a WLAN controller that controls a network of APs where they are all connected to a single SSID and use load balancing/failover, however you may run into paying thousands for a network of let's say 5 APs + the WLAN controller.

Most consumer routers do not have load balancing/failover.

However you can limit connections in consumer APs, however you will not have the advanced controller features like the solution above.

I currently have an Amped Wireless R10000 and R20000G and they are rated for a very high number of simultaneous connections. The R10000G was rated very high on small net builder.

One of those may work, however it would be dependent on your ISP's connection as well. The processor in the R20 is 620Mhz and can handle a good bit of connections compared to some older routers that have only 200 some Mhz processors in them.

I have also tested thier AP20000G and it was a very fast AP with a good bit of management features.
  5. benj_mx New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for suggestion
    remixedcat says thanks.
  6. benj_mx New Member

Thanks Received:
    thank you for your advise. i will have a look.
  7. benj_mx New Member

Thanks Received:
    they are hosting corporate events/weddings. owner provided this numbers.
  8. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Rated for over 4,576 simultaneous connections for the AP20000G
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  9. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    That doesn't sound right. The guest wireless only has 8
    I e mailed them. Waiting to hear back
    http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/ap20000g.html

Truly there is no home wireless router or access point that can handle those numbers. Most DHCP servers have 100 ip available but with handling the traffic they really only do well with about 30.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  10. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    sorry that was a typo about that...
  11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Ok I got a reply:

Thank you for choosing Amped Wireless,

The R20000G can handle 16 wireless clients per radio. The R20000G has two radios, so it can handle up to 32 wireless clients. if you have any further questions, please feel free to email us or contact us at 888-573-8820.

Thank you,

Amped Wireless"

So as I suspected just because it has 100 IPs available it can only handle a fraction of that and any one time. Most home routers are like this
  12. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I think belkin used to make a range extender that supported upto 100 connections. Unfortunately i cant seem to find it anywhere as i dont remember the model name and even looking on belkin's own website doesnt turn up any hits which means its probably long been discontinued
  13. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Blekin couldn't even handle 2 wireless clients. My sister had one of thier wireless N routers and when the second wireless client would connect the router shut itself off.

The repeater I had (SR20000G) was able to support 4 wireless clients (2 were playing on xbox live BLACK OPS 2 ZOMBIES!) and 1 of those clients were torrenting. I was watching Youtube videos in HD. Torrents kick the shit out of most routers/repeaters. I was also able to play on my remote windows azure cloud hosted desktop and manage my little server.

and simultaneous connections (sessions) are where the torrents kill the routers. some get choked becuase of a low amount of connections the router can handle...