1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wireless Versus Wired Mice/Keyboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by helloWorld, Aug 6, 2011.

1. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would a wireless mouse/keyboard be recommended for gaming? I heard that the wireless has a little big of lag.
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Nope, no lag with wireless with a quality wireless mouse/keyboard.
    helloWorld says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would anything "decent" from logitech count as a decent wireless mouse/keyboard?
  4. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely. Logitech has more than a few wireless gaming mice. Now keyboards, I'm not too sure of, but I'm sure if you can find a quality one...it will treat you well.

edit: There are a couple of other options out there if your interesting in wireless gaming mice, here are a few suggestions (note: they are not cheap):
    RAZER Orochi Black Chrome Edition RZ01-00300200-R3...
    Logitech G700 Black 13 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB RF Wi...
    Logitech Performance Mouse MX
    RAZER MAMBA....http://3btech.net/rama56dumowi.html
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    helloWorld says thanks.
  5. f22a4bandit

f22a4bandit

Thanks Received:
    I can vouch for the quality of the G700 as I currently own and use one. It does come with a USB connection if you want to use it wired. I prefer to use it wired, but when I used it wireless for a couple of weeks I experience zero lag between inputs.
    helloWorld says thanks.
  6. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I usually feel comfortable with wired K/B and wireless mouse, bonus if it can be used as wired if you want to
    helloWorld says thanks.
  7. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Don't know about wireless keyboards, I'm not sure there are any for gaming but as far as the wireless mouse goes I use a Sidewinder X8, no lag whatsoever. From Logi you have the G700 and from Razer the Mamba. If you google a little bit you'll find comparisons, prices and feedback.
    helloWorld says thanks.
  8. twilyth Guest

I only use wireless and I've never noticed any lag, but I don't game so I'm happy to hear the other posters back me up on that.

I had an X8 and I mostly liked it except for the placement of the fwd/back buttons. Those were a pain the ass. Plus it died in under a year. IDK if that is common but it was part of what made me shy away from getting another one.

Just fyi, there are 3 types of "wireless" that I know of: 2.4ghz models, bluetooth models and infrared. I would avoid the infrared - which shouldn't be hard since you don't see them very often.

Also be aware that if you get a fancy mouse with lots of buttons and you use a KVM switch, there's a good to excellent chance that the extra buttons won't work. Almost all KVM's will only emulate the basic functions. There are some that use a different emulation technique, but that's another topic.
  9. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    The biggest advantage of wired is no batteries/recharging.
    helloWorld says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    I second that. I ditched my wireless Logitech G7 for a wired Razer Copperhead simply to avoid the annoyance of changing batteries in the middle of a gaming session.
    helloWorld says thanks.
  11. twilyth Guest

Well there are mice that have rechargeable batteries that you can recharge while tethered and keep using them during recharging. The X8 was like that.

And the RAT9 mouse has 2 battery modules so you pull the dead one out - slides out the back mounted port - and pop the fresh one in from the receiver/charging station.

I just got an MX1100 that works like the X8 except that the X8 is a bit more elegant since it uses small rare-earth magnets to lock the charging paddle in place whereas the logitech just uses a plug.
  12. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    The X8 last about 4-5 days 12h a day of which maybe 4h gaming. You can charge on the fly with a very thin an nice magnetic dock. So no, with this mouse you don't have any hassles.
    helloWorld says thanks.
  13. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Personally I like the simplicity of a wired mouse. No batteries, no charging station to get dirt in. Im glad to here thought that there is no lag. My last experience must have been psychological a MX1000 I would swear is would hesitate sometimes
    helloWorld says thanks.
  14. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    I use wired for simplicity, speed and reliability on my gaming rig. In the office, I use wireless because there are less cords.
    helloWorld says thanks.
  15. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you guys for the responses. I actually measured, in the most accurate way I could, and I found that the standard 6 foot cord will actually be JUST enough lol.
  16. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I've been eyeing the G700 that has that feature, though not for that reason.

Personally, I've never had a problem with my G7. I just put a fresh battery in at the beginning of a gaming session and it usually lasts though the session, and if the battery does start to die it warns me in plenty of time so that I can swap it real quick during a loading screen or between matches.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  17. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    changing battry packs is very nostalgic. I owned a Logitech G7 for about 3 years. and i managed to get into the habit of changing battry packs as fast as Stalone changes .45 magazines at the end of Expendables

Unfortunately. I lent it to my dad, and he lost it. battry packs. charger and all. theres no sign of it what so ever
  18. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    If the cable is a problem, use wireless, as there aren't really any cons except higher price and batteries/recharging
  19. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I play with a few different mice depending on the type of game but one of my favorite of the 3 I use is the Logitech Performance Mouse MX, which isn't even a "gaming" mouse necessarily. It is a high quality mouse regardless and I like the large heavy and comfortable nature of it. I don't notice any performance difference between my wireless & wired naga/ rat7, although the DPI is a bit higher on the latter two. I'm not a professional gamer or anything though, so it's not that important to me as comfort is. It's all preference, but if you buy quality you shouldn't have any problems.

As for the keyboard I play 99% of the time with either my black widow or my dell mechanical. I got lucky with a black widow that doesn't have the soft shift key issue. It is a great board and I use it for work as well. It is a great board for speed, and I just can't use non mechanical. I find that non mechanical boards feel like total crap, and I don't care about the sound - I like the audible feedback, it is very satisfying. I only use my wireless keyboards if I'm sitting in front of the TV late at night or something.