1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wires on TOP of HP case?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by killfacescr, Sep 2, 2008.

1. killfacescr New Member

Thanks Received:
    Quick question:

Opened my HP m9340f case for the first time today. On removing the top plastic casing that lies over a metal internal casing, I was amazed to discover two tiny gray wires running up from the computer's interior. They appear to connect to nothing. I followed them into the computer and they're attached to a very small chip plugged into the motherboard just above my graphics card. On reintiailizing the computer I couldn't see that anything was missing/had gone wrong. But I'm concerned I might have severed the wires from *whatever* they were attached to on the plastic casing. Is this some emergency setup to discharge stray voltage (plastic casing has a rubber top) or what???

Thanks all,

Seth

2. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    maybe it links to a case-open micro-switch which prevents the PC from booting up with the case left off?

3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah he should check for a switch at the end of the wire.

And Welcome to TPU killfacescr

4. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    temperature sensors?

5. killfacescr New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the welcome, AsRock!

I thought about the temperature sensors, but all of my sensors still seem to be working. As far as the no-power up idea, that's intriguing, but...the wires are still broken, and the computer managed to power up. They ARE connected to a pair of metal "clip-looking" things, however...this is weirding me out.

6. gerrynicol New Member

Thanks Received:
    are they connected to jumpers??

if so the could be a number of things fromm HDD light to power/ reset switch(it's obviously not the power switch though:) ) or internal speaker.

Does the connection look like this?:

[​IMG]

7. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Don't you love how they give you directions on how to clear CMOS but leave the actual jumper halfway across the board? It's especially annoying when there are multiple things that look exactly like a cmos jumper and aren't labled as such. =P If you have a manual then you're fine XD

Sorry, ranting over.

8. Wshlist New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could be the case 'speaker' which most often is a small piezo thingy that beeps when there's a hardware error.
    Try this: open a cmd window (open start->run type cmd and hit enter and a DOS window will open) then type ctrl-g (hold control and the g key at the same time) then a ^G will show, then hit enter, if you hear a beep coming from the case the 'speaker' is still working, if not then that was it :)

Incidentally, even though you still boot it could be the 'case intrusion switch' mentioned earlier because the detection could be disabled in the BIOS.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  9. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    did they plug into a 4 pin connection? could be the old analogue audio cables for the cd drives not hooked up, they arent needed anyway,

10. Wshlist New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is also an old standard (I think it might be SPDIF based) for internal digital out on DVD/CD players in computers from before the digital audio went over the IDE, it uses 2 pins rather than 4 but the cable looks the same, but those audio cables, although mostly grey in color, are normally shielded though and not 2 strands the entire length.