1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Witcher 2 $29.99 at GOG.com This weekend

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by m4gicfour, Aug 20, 2011.

1. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    The Witcher 2, $29.99, Completely DRM Free, GOG.com

Includes game guide + bonus content.

I've made a lot of purchases from GOG.com, they are trustworthy. In case you were wondering why a new game is on Good Old Games.com, the developer of the witcher series is the sister company to the guys running GOG
    Crap Daddy and PVTCaboose1337 say thanks.
  2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    That is a good price for a good game. I'm personally laying it to rest a bit until I forget then I can play through it again and it shall be as awesome as the first tiem I played it.

I really like this series of games and I hope they bring out another Witcher, and/or some more DLC.
  3. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'm still working on W1 EE (also available at GOG, $9.99) or I'd be buying this immediately. I've got a huge backlog of games and little money to waste. Good thing is I know it'll be on sale again eventually.

Oh and PS to the Europeans:
    I forgot to mention, GOG.com sells its games in USD, worldwide. One price. No more of this $29, £29, €29 bullshit.

Specifically:
    Code:
    What is GOG.com's Fair Price Package?
    Gamers who are paying in euros and AUD are generally charged more for the games that they buy than gamers in the US. 
    That's not fair, and GOG.com believes that charging the same price worldwide for all customers makes more sense. 
    Unfortunately, we can't just lower our prices on the preorder to be lower than everyone else in those countries, due to legal reasons. 
    So instead, we've come up with a solution that lets us charge a fair price to everyone while avoiding giving the legal team here at GOG.com a heart attack.
    We're always trying to get the best value for money to our users, so to compensate them for the price difference, we offer GOG.com bonus codes for a total of roughly $16 for EU customers, or roughly $26 for customers from Australia or New Zealand.
    Or, to be more specific, one $9.99 and one $5.99 code, or two $9.99 codes and one $5.99 code, respectively. 

So buyers from Australia, UK, etc DO occasionally get charged more, but in return get the equal of the price difference in free games from GOG.com
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  4. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Yea i've got a fair few games from there in the past. The wonders of Descent!
  5. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Nice. Never used GOG. How it works? You get the key through e-mail?
  6. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    You set up an account, you then buy the game, and then go to your library and download it. There is no DRM.
  7. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    For games where the developer has CD-Key protected multiplayer (I.E. Colin McRae Rally 2005) they will send you a multiplayer key via email. There is no key for install or for singleplayer. For many of the older games where the rights holder no longer has the source code, or a compiled unprotected EXE, they actually use cracks to disable the DRM. It's legal because the owner of the rights to the code is the one doing it, and GOG receives the files already in the circumvented state, with the liscence to sell them as is. GOG tries to get a true unprotected EXE whenever possible, but for some of them, that data just doesn't exist anymore. Most of the games have no key whatsoever, including multiplayer when present. Buy the game, download it, install, play. In fact, Colin McRae Rally is the only one on there I know of that has any kind of key of any sort. The only reason is because of the cross-liscencing agreements that codemasters had with other parties, which is also why you can't get it on GOG.com anymore... Codemasters (the developer of CMR2K5) had liscenced the right to use the names of real life drivers, corporations, and cars in their product, and those liscences have recently expired, so Codemasters no longer has the right to sell their game or to allow others to sell their game.

Corporate politics. Ain't it a bitch?
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011