1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WMAP: Final Results

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Drone, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Finally!!!

In a nutshell: Scientists now know for sure that:

a) Spontaneous quantum fluctuations created our Universe
    b) There was inflation
    c) The universe comprises only 4.6% atoms
    d) The universe is flat

Recently, Stephen Hawking commented in New Scientist that WMAP's evidence for inflation was the most exciting development in physics during his career.

NewScientist

PhysOrg

We live in an awesome time :) WMAP is fantastic, nine years of observations are not wasted.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    m1dg3t says thanks.
  2. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Bring on the multiverse?
  3. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    To me, the conclusion that the Universe is flat is the most immediately mind blowing; potentially infinite space...
  4. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    What bugs me is that we'll probably never know which specific geometry it has, since there are 10 kinds of flat 3-manifolds...
  5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    "flat" can also mean any other surface geometry that has a curvature smaller than the measuring accuracy of the instrument.

"flat" (= infinite) contradicts "inflation" (= not infinite)
  6. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Seems so. If there's one universe there can be many others with different laws of physics.

Yes it's astonishing. They said that the density of the universe exactly equals the critical density, so the geometry of the universe is flat like a sheet of paper (where the interior angles of a triangle add to 180 degrees). I always liked brane cosmology even though it doesn't match these new results from WMAP, the say that the Big Bang was not the beginning of time but the bridge to a past filled with endlessly repeating cycles of evolution.
    m1dg3t says thanks.
  7. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    My understanding (which is admittedly limited) was that the main thing holding back the theory of multiverses was the uncertainty of inflation, if it was "real" or not. Since inflation has been confirmed now we can postulate that the "big bang" was not an isolated occurance and may be just a small part of the overall picture. :eek:

As space "grows" energy fills in the "emptiness", which in turn may lead to the creation of "new" universes via new "big bangs"... If I understand it correctly? Of course this is simplified :eek:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Guth Is the main guy studying this and there are also two Russian physicists working on the theory as well but they're names escape me at this time :(
  8. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    That's correct. Space expands, entropy grows, order becomes disorder, stars fade away, black holes appear and so on. Lee Smolin thinks that every black hole contains a universe (and our universe is inside a black hole). And he implies that it's like a "living organism" and amount of black holes is some kind of "fertility" (more black holes more "baby" galaxies). Sounds crazy but anything is possible.
    m1dg3t says thanks.
  9. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    I don't see it that way. Inflation simply means non-linearly accelerated expansion, which does not imply non-flat expansion, and certainly does not contradict infinite space. And by geometry I don't mean surface (2D) geometry because we already know it's Euclidean. I meant the spatial (3D) geometry, which, with the Universe appearing infinite, could very well be that of a Möbius Strip, for example...
  10. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    S = k. log W :rockout:
    Drone says thanks.
  11. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Another groundbreaking finding. This time it's from CSIRO. They measured how warm the Universe was 7.2 billion years ago.

Brrr that's cold ...

[​IMG]
    m1dg3t says thanks.
  12. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Can someone explain to me what this means? Surely it doesn't mean that matter occupies 4.6% of the universe. That seems extraordinarily high considering its size.
  13. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Well it means exactly that. *sigh* Didn't you watch the video in the OP? Dr. Charles L. Bennett explains that. If you're lazy then skip to ~1:20.
  14. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Oh wow, I didn't even see the video. I'm at work and this browser doesn't pick up anything flash-related at all. So annoying. Thanks I'll check it out later!
  15. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Most detailed CMB map ever

[​IMG]

However, this freshly released CMB map has brought many surprises with it:

Dafuq is happening :D Universe is even more complex than we thought or maybe not ... Go figure

But this is awesome anyway. Such a detailed map of CMB. It's fantastic. BTW scientists said that it implies that the age of the Universe is 13.82 billion years.
    m1dg3t says thanks.
  16. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Inflation theory in "detail"...

Drone, you still around? :peace:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    Drone says thanks.
  17. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    ^ Thanks for those. :p Yup I'm more in astrophysics and astronomy than ever before!