1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WMP codecs

Discussion in 'General Software' started by razaron, May 30, 2009.

1. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    So you don't convert DVDs for use on PMP's, for example? Encoders are a rather large group. As are anime watchers. Why would you grab a codec pack, that while may be great 90% of the time, still fuxors up on certain files and situations, especially when there are fully functioning alternatives, that are much more accurate?

Again, K-Lite is crap compared to any of the other packs mentioned here.

2. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like piracy to me. If I was going to pirate I would pirate right. I guess some people encode for their PSPs/iPhones and such but does K-Lite interfere with that kind of encoding? (Most of the encoders I've seen for that are proprietary) Also I have never had a problem with playing Anime whether it was dubbed or subbed or had multiple streams or was in a weird container. Is it because I use Media Player Classic religiously?

3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    MPC goes a long way to helping, and many of the free tools available to rip DVDs rely on DShow and AviSynth to do the dirty work. (Actually, so do some paid progs, ripping you off to be nothing more than a front end for AviSynth)

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    K-lite is literally a jumble of codecs thrown in together. Rarely is any testing actually done to see if they conflict. For years it had DivX and Xvid throw in the same package, which is stupid as they are interchangeable. This caused issues, cause both codecs tried to run at the same time in some situations (creating thumbnails for example, causing explorer.exe crashes)

Hell, it *has* illegal codecs in it - you think realplayer and quicktime codecs are available for 3rd party players? no. you dont like other codec packs because they sound like piracy, yet you use a pack with illegal codecs. good work.

5. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    No no K-Lite has no illegal codecs in it (anymore). Realmedia and Quicktime codecs are not part of the K-Lite codec pack anymore. You can still go to seedy foreign websites and download Quicktime & Realplayer Alternative though.

I'm tellin ya, it's like you guys have no hands-on experience with K-Lite Codec since 4+ years ago. I won't blame you, but it's not like it used to be, I wouldn't recommend it if it was.

6. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i havent used it personally, but i've been fixing machines with K-lite problems as recently as yesterday.

and all right, my bad. i wasnt aware they had removed those codecs.

7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I used it just 4 months ago. Still screwed with my encoding, and didn't like some of my Exiled Destiny (iirc) releases.

And besides, that's not the point. You said it's the best, when it clearly is not, as there are better alternatives out there.

8. Niarod

Niarod

Thanks Received:
    In case you use media player classic(or home cinema), to use subtitles remember that they have to be in the same folder as the video file(but not necessarily, as you can browse for subs as well), and the subtitle name has to be the same as the video file!

Example: if you have a video in divx named Video.avi, the subtitle name has to be Video.srt (extensions .avi and .srt are just for the example)!

If you have nero, nero show time handles subs pretty good as it lets you even match time between video and subs if these are not synchronous , exmpl. audio appears before subs are displayed.

Cheerz

9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    media player classics internal subtitle renderer hasnt worked in a long time. you use the external programs (they show up as a tray icon) - usually VSfilter or haali splitter.

10. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually in MPC you can load a subtitle file from anywhere. Never had any problems with it either. Of course, I dunno what is handling the subs, I assume Haali, it's all pre-configured when you install K-Lite.

11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    it doesnt work with certain rendering modes. I think it works in overlay mode, but using that mode in vista disables aero. they use external filters for the codecs because of problems like that.