1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Won't Boot Windows with 2 Cards!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Vario, Jun 15, 2013.

1. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    +1

That's why I don't help anymore think this will be my last time waste of time
  2. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I have done everything you have all suggested short of testing with a different power supply, as I do not have a power supply available for that. I do not have MSI afterburner. Its a clean windows install with just catalyst. I have tried 13.2, 13.4, 13.6. Drivers cleaned off with tool. Powercolor works fine until catalyst is installed, then it doesnt output anything and if the XFX is primary card and Powercolor is installed but not connected, the monitor will still be black.

Power supply appears normal now. 12v, 3v, 6v, voltages are good as well.

I have installed windows with power color, with xfx, with power color in the top, with xfx in the top etc. 4 windows installs now.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  3. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    What I might actually do is try pci-e 2.0 mode on the motherboard... Can't test the card for a few more days because of travel.
  4. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Maybe the Power Color card is bad.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Its quite possible, I bought the card off ebay for $120, it was a risky proposition. I want to try a few more things before I give up but it will be a few days till I can test it again. It is a brand new card for sure, no dust in the fins, no burns anywhere, looks and smells new.

I want to try:

1) older catalyst drivers (12 series)
    2) catalyst driver installer from powercolor's site
    3) pci-e 2.0 mode on motherboard
    4) flash an xfx bios
  6. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't flash the Powercolor unless it's a reference card...
  7. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I didnt read every post, but did you try each card individually and see if it would boot?
  8. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it boots but with catalyst drivers installed, the powercolor does not display once I get to Windows. Can't even display the log in screen. XFX does not have this problem. Tried an old VGA monitor, HDMI, and a DVI monitor. Removal of Catalyst and it displays windows.
  9. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    A few forums have said that the Asus 7850 2gb Cu2 bios works but I am not sure if this is the case. Can anyone confirm which bios will work with this card? Maybe the powercolor bios doesn't play well with current catalyst drivers... I can't test this with an older driver pack for a few more days at least.
  10. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    Test the new hd7850 in another computer to be sure it actually works instead if destroying your PC trying to find a problem that doesn't exist.
  11. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Why would it be a problem that doesnt exist?
  12. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    I ment to say a problem with your motherboard probibly doesn't exist and all you have is a faulty graphics card. But repeated removals could damage something to the point of your motherboard not working. So before you destroy your pc put the graphics card into another pc and check it actually works.
  13. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Im away from where I have most of my computer components for a few more weeks actually so it might not be a for a bit until I can fully test it.
  14. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    Well just remember you can only paypal claim up to 45 days after your purchase so the sooner you test it the better.

Was it sold as working ??
  15. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Yep, im stuck away from that rig for a bit due to unexpected circumstances :(