1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wooden ITX box

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vario, Aug 31, 2013.

1. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I was looking at this thread for the second time because you pm'd me about it. I love the kick ass computer next to the old appliances. Made me laugh at the contrast, and then I laughed harder because it is the same thing for me. My fridge is so old I am taller than it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    next step put that shit inside the toaster lol

james888 says thanks.
  3. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Are you thinking like this?

[​IMG]

Vario says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    yep haha

[​IMG]

How it will bolt on. Might do two fans here, I got two orange cougars... If they fit. Lots of sata ports on the other side of that fan.

Full mock up:
    [​IMG]

bread loaf for comparison. its a big itx case thats for sure. Basically imagine a elite 120 then increase its overall size by 1 cubic inch. 3/4" wood with a 1'4" gap basically. I could go smaller but I'd have to cut into this ITX a lot and I like how modular this is. The goal is to have it blend in with some stereo speakers as a 1080p TV gaming computer for games like GTA 5. I got a xbox wired controller that works great with steam.

Might improve my carpentry/joinery technique in the future and just build a new wood exoskeleton with 1/2" or even 1/4" oak plywood, that would get me nominally .25" (closer to .15") cubed with the 1/2" plywood. This is just butt joints, slather some glue on, and clamp it, no screws ... I was really careful to pick grained wood that matched the joins. It is however, very strong. Titebond2 is a pretty strong join. I made a 4 cubic foot 18" vented subwoofer with 3/4" oak plywood and the thing was such a tank. Everyone underestimates the strength of wood, especially oak plywood. It weighed almost 100 lbs. Carrying it around was such a nuisance each move and I never could really crank it so I gave it away.

I've been sanding, can't really see improvement in the pictures but thats the biggest change in the past few weeks. I didn't see any bennite conditioner so I'll be using some minwax. I have grits 85 150 220 and 320 so I'm at 150 now. All the corners are way more rounded off. I also have the top bolted to the bottom now so its functionally done. I just need to finish the wood prep for staining.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    t_ski says thanks.
  5. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Okay so screwed together and powered her up on the TV for a test run. Max temps were 65*C videocard, 60*C CPU. Really nice cooling. Big box for itx though, it really got big... thats the nature of pine, has to be thick to be strong. But it runs nice and it looks great!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still need to sand more and then put the pre stain on. Its getting there but its slow because of other priorities.

6. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Heres the first coat of the stain. Its kinda blotchy maybe, I used the minwax prep stuff I think its just the wood and the nature of the stain. I am happy with it though, it looks sort of vintage and rustic.

I am sure with more coats it will even out. It was brushed on and the excess wiped off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Basement lighting with an incandescent is hard to really show it anyway. I'll get it looking spiffier.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  7. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Yep that is the very same prestain I used, coated it with one even coat. Gave it 45 mins to dry then painted on the stain.

9. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Good to hear! :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Tallencor

Tallencor

Thanks Received:
    Dude. Good job on the mitx. Inspiring. Did you get it smooth? Fine grit sand block and then a power wax buffer?

Crunching for Team TPU