1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Work PC freezes while loading Windows

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Black Panther, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What makes you think so? Memtest runs fine. ODD is disconnected. Pc posts even if HDD is disconnected. I get the correct beeps if I remove the memory. There's nothing more I could disconnect.

At this point in time I only want to know if I'd be getting the pc to startup next Monday.

What's weird is that I get the pc to POST and windows to start only if I spray that cold-spray on the motherboard. I've removed all ancillaries and everything's still the same.

The only thing which remains is the PSU and for obvious reasons I can't run the pc without it since I haven't got a spare. Though I'm quite sure it isn't the PSU... just a feeling I have.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    :shadedshu

Drdeathx, you've got to adjust your attitude, every thread you post in you post the same thing. "Everyone else is wrong because I spent $$$$$$$ on hardware and I know"

Quite frankly, most of your posts are just rude and not helpful.

BP if it is the HDD, it's easy to check. Just install Crystaldiskinfo and check the status of the drive.

From the symptoms you gave I'd say motherboard, my reasoning for saying this is because I've worked on two machines recently where the north/southbridge were failing with the same dang symptoms.
    EarthDog and de.das.dude say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Any half educated computer enthusiast would not point to the motherboard if the system is booting. Frankly, who left you boos of rating persons responses?

It may not be the drive dah, It could be the OS thus grabbing another drive to see if it boots narrows the problem down. Get it? it is the simplest start so in closing. Stay on topic will ya?

The next easy trouble shoot could be a bad sata cable. Then he can work down from there. Get it?

If you spent $$$$$$ on hardware and still cannot come up with starting from the obvious, you have not learned much.. Not saying that it is not the motherboard. always start from the easiest troubleshoot. Recommending someone go out and buy a new board when it posts is the farthest thing to start out with plus, if he cannot boot to windows Einstein, how is he going to run crystalmark. LOL
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Um any half educated computer enthusiast would not point to yanking out drives right off either and she does get into windows on the 5th boot. Reading comprehension is your friend.

@BP. When you boot into it did you ever check the event viewer to see if there was any errors on start up? If so it might lead us to the culprit.
    EarthDog and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.
  5. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Umm, trying a different drive is the EASIEST troubleshoot. OMG :nutkick:

System does the same thing, it is not the drive or OS. Pretty simple concept.
  6. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Well I can definitely say its not the motherboard :laugh: :banghead:

I work in labs at Microsoft and 99% of the time if the system board/motherboard is the issue, the damn thing won't even get passed POST, and go into a hung state, or just shut down.

I would definitely say its a hard drive issue, and possibly corrupt OS.

But if it is the motherboard, you are going to have a hell of a time finding a decent one for LGA775
  7. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Mx. To confirm though I suggested the HDD switch. :toast:
  8. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    btw this might also be caused by a failing southbridge. old intel mobos have failing southbridges sometimes.
    Radical_Edward says thanks.
  9. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    I had one expirience with freezing and I saw one more time that problem in both case motherboard was cause. On my old AMD based NB, on second not mine same is motherboard but I don't know what guy change motherboard for new. Both GIGA....
    Always randomly freezing in every situation without rules in time but always not longer than half hour normal working.
    Idle, load, never mind in both situation.
  10. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Understood but what is the guy supposed to do? Go buy a new mobo not knowing that is the problem? I am not saying the board is not the cause however; just saying look to the easiest and usually the obvious first and a different drive would eliminate a drive or OS problem. Then, it would be the board.
  11. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    :slap: be nice
  12. acerace

acerace

Thanks Received:
    Go with drdeathx's suggestion. He'll be happy.
  13. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    BP, you should run these tests:-

a CPU stress test like PRime 95, to see if it freezes up again.
    run the SMART utility on Speedfan. it would eliminate HDDs.

im highly suspicious as to the HDD being old or the some motherboard chipset failing!
  14. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    I am never happy!

[​IMG]
  15. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    She could do that.

Why normally I would point to the HDD or a corrupt OS... She gave other info that led me to think it's the motherboard. I pointed to the motherboard because I've seen plenty of machines boot into windows that have DYING motherboards. Since she mentioned graphical issues it leads me to believe that the onboard graphics chipset is failing.

As a tech and an enthusiast, I do my best to listen to the symptoms the customer gives me. ;)

I do agree on checking the easy stuff first though. Checking a HDD is easy work, Seatools for DOS would do.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Regardless, she should try a different hard drive with a new windows install on it. If the problem continues, then we can basically assume its a motherboard issue. However, as I have read this entire thread, it is leading me to believe its more of a motherboard type issue. Though, the only times ive ever had a freezing up system boot when loading windows, was because of either a bad SSD or a bad hard drive.

She could even try as simply as a new SATA cable for the drive.
  17. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    To me this speaks loud and clear of a faulty mobo.;):toast:
  18. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    It is understood, of course first try second reserve 100% working PSU(all gamers and PC enthusiasts need second good PSU in house), one DIMM of memory same proven working, some other graphic card, maybe HDD than can talk about new motherboard.
    Good is if somebody in crew have same platform like yours, 1155, 2011, AM3, AM3+ and than you can try all kind of options.
    Motherboard with LCD can help if you look temps, during games, CPU, GPU usage, example if you use graphic card and she work on 70-90% and than always during freezing you see jump on 100% GPU Usage and stay there but you can remove options in LCD you can first check graphic card, without LCD you can't know that... but if freezing during idle and not 3D at and keyboard is stuck too than something other can be cause...
  19. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Buy another G31 board you'll be able to hook your old drive up, and will be exactly the same :D
  20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Are you absolutely sure it isn't the hard drive occasionally throwing errors? Did you ever get to checking the S.M.A.R.T. logs to see how the drive is shaping up to to rule it out?
  21. DynoDon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here. To start I'm gonna agree with the MB being haywire but...

The vid card was mentioned but I didn't see the result. Another thought is the network card, or is it built in? If so disable it and see what happens. Reason: Years ago when I did a little IT work at a school dist (we're talking W98 here) I had a handful of admin computers (it had to be admin not teachers right?) that would quit but NOT the BSOD. Screen was yellow. YSOD? Eventually I finally figured out it was, probably, a conflict between the vid card and the network card. Unplug the cable and it would run just fine. Just not usable 'cuz no network. What actually fixed the issue was Service Pack 2. Anyway weird conflicts do occur so I thought I'd throw that out.