1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Workers Riot at Foxconn Chengdu iPhone/iPad Plant

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 7, 2012.

1. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Maybe they can bring the Jobs here? Oh noes they'd have to pay people decent wages. Maybe apple fans can see what an apple device really costs.

2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    as an enduser/consumer we are in a position of power. one person boycotting Apple wont be enough. but if this information about how foxxconn treat their staff at the factory to be made more public and a team of reporters and surveyors sent in there to get more information, then im sure more people would be less supportive and willing to buy products from that manufacturer/brand as it only encourages the poor treatment to continue.

How many people do you know that would buy addidas, Rebok or Nike products if they knew that, that $300 pair of football boots/training shoes or that $30-50 T-shirt was made by a group of 5year olds that are barely fed enough to keep rats alive let alone be given basic human rights like an education?

Make more of this information available to the public. show hardcore supporters that wont touch anything if it isnt white or doesnt start with an 'i'. Im sure people would be less forthcoming when it comes to purchasing apple products new or old.

more people that draw a line in the sand the more apple will listen as soon as it starts eating into their quarterly profits.

but youre right, Most people could really care less about how their iphone or ipad is made or the conditions surrounding its manufacture.

3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Man I hope this doesn't delay the new iPhone. That would suck!

Teiji, hellrazor and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  4. treehouse New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol at the kiddie comments.

this is foxconn's fault not apple's. there are many other companies apple can get their stuff made by, foxconn provided better margins to apple so they got the deal. simple

and you guys do realise foxconn make the xbox 360 too right?

the irony is that the blind hate for apple on this forum does not change a thing and never will. apple are the worlds most valuable company, tough luck dudes.

sent from my iPad

edit- saw a comment that i had to quote "At least half the stuff you own that is not from apple is also made/assembled by foxconn.

I wouldn't be surprised if the computer you're using is not at least partially touched by foxconn."

edited from my iPhone

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  5. Black Hades

Black Hades

Thanks Received:
    Haha! Nice.:laugh: I actually stopped for a second to think "wait, what if he's not being sarcastic?"

acerace says thanks.
  6. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Is that a sledge hammer with a spike in it? Wow...

And you cry /why? You sound like you work for them.. Or you're just super, ultra, mega fanboy..

"sent from my idc device"

7. treehouse New Member

Thanks Received:
    who's crying? just cuz i dont sound like you so that must mean i work for them? sure kiddy. i could not care less what happens to apple, i just like pointing out contradictions in forum trends ;)

sent from my iPad

8. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer

Thanks Received:
    Fabry Perot cavity,AlGaAs-GaAs Heterojunction
    They can't. He's dead Jim!!

acerace, hellrazor and Velvet Wafer say thanks.
  9. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I don't condone any companies product that uses another companies cheap/cruel labor to make more profit themselves. Or try not to at least.

So that means no apple product or xbox for me. Alternatively the PS3/PC and Droid has been doing the job just fine.

10. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's nice to think that if no one bought [insert mfgr] products that conditions would change in China, but it would make zero difference.
    The Chinese government/corps have been oppressing their people long before these manufacturers came on the scene.
    The only thing that would have any effect would be a massive uprising by the people of China.

The problem is that when you have a miltary that has no qualms about killing their own people (who are basically unarmed and dirt poor) it makes it very difficult to get anything going.

There are dissidents who attempt to effect change through reporting things like living conditions and government oppression, but the Chinese government simply does not care what the rest of the world thinks or they would have changed long ago.

This is why so many Americans fight so hard to keep our 2nd Amendment rights.

Just my 2 cents. Carry on ....

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  11. treehouse New Member

Thanks Received:
    completely agree, and now with china becoming more powerful with each passing year and america becoming weaker, they have even less of a reason to care these days

12. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    So you're a troll..
    Congratulations
    :toast:

13. treehouse New Member

Thanks Received:
    if pointing out contradictions in forum trends makes me a troll then yes, yes i am a troll :toast:

erixx says thanks.
  14. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    apple and foxconn and most importantly the chinese government, are at fault, they need to protest(which is something you don't wanna do in china) more but the problem is that the chinese government does NOT side with its citizens, they side with the corporations 99% of the time because thats whats profitable to the country, america does this also but nowhere even close to the way the chinese do it.

If you think apples not a fault then you need to wake up and take those apples out of your soul.

and foxconn has been doing this for a LONG time, its just that since its apple this time pushing them everyone wants to look and go like oh looky looky and its sad that its like that, apple is pushing them, which makes the problem a little worst but this has been happening for a long time at foxconns facilities.

15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    China is a prime example of how big government is evil and we are on a highway to the same lifestyle. However I am enjoying the cycle of mans short term memory.

hellrazor says thanks.
  16. treehouse New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont see how its apple's fault that foxconn are saying 'yes'??

assuming that apple are actually pushing them in the first place

17. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    last couple mobo's (Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte) I installed had all written "foxconn" on serveral parts, so I feel equally guilty and I don't have Apples (for other reasons than Foxconn).

Sure it is not always a free freemarket, but finally to sign you need two parties. It is like drug dealers or whorehouses.... client and seller are both taking part in criminality. And that is what capitalism has turned into, a dozed pleasure addiction infestation... and we don't know for exactly what! Now the religions can come back from the basement to give people a cheap explanation!
    Oh, era of reason, what have you become!

Ok, ok, I'll lay the pipe down... :)

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly most religions have been preaching "I told ya so" for years now. Its the "era of reason" that has everyone "living for today" and not giving a crap about their fellow man. I personally think we are in an intellectual dark age and I have to look no further then twitter, facebook or even 4chan for proof.

Chevalr1c and erocker say thanks.
  19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I love how so many people are bashing Apple due to this when everyone here most likely owns something that is made by Foxconn. Hypocrites.

Chevalr1c, hellrazor and Aquinus say thanks.
  20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm loving it. Sheeple as usual.

21. manson_ze

manson_ze New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Modern Age Slavery

22. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Yes, all Chinese products are made with evil but Not all facilities are as bad as the Foxconn/Apple facility....

They let the vendor choose the working conditions and whatnot and soulless Apple takes it to extremes...

BTW except what I have no choice on all my Electronics are made in Taiwan/Korea/Japan

23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you ever been to a textile factory in Asia? Foxconn looks like a Utopia compared to those places yet I see no one turning down 5$ dollar shirts from Walmart. I once saw a man LIVING under one of the presses in Pakistan.

Chevalr1c and jmcslob say thanks.
  24. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    No I haven't but I personally refuse to shop at Walmart...
    I also don't buy clothes made in China or shoes....
    My clothes are made in the USA, Dominican Republic, Mexico and El Salvador....

I do my best to support the Local economy and our South American food trading partners...

Oh and I'm 100% against Steel from Pakistan....wont even haul it.

25. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I'm proud (and glad) to be an American citizen?

This isn't Apple's problem, it's Foxconn's, and you know that if they can't deliver, Apple will just sell their business to the next lowest bidder. I feel bad for a lot of the working conditions in China, but there isn't much I can do about it and the more you hear about things like this the more I can confidently say that the Chinese people are going to find a way to fix this themselves. I would just hate to see what a modern day civil war in China would do. :twitch:

Also keep in mind that some people don't have the money or the time to be able to always support local business and to exclusively ignore products made in China and sometimes it's just unavoidable.

Chevalr1c says thanks.