1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Workstation PC build

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by mdnelson09, Oct 31, 2011.

1. mdnelson09

mdnelson09 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

So ive built plenty of gaming rigs in the past. some of you may have seen some of my mods i posted here too, but i had a question about something on the other end of computing. My mother runs a business from her home and sure enough shes still running the old nforce 680i and nvidia 250gts i built for her a while ago. she had said that the system still runs fine but im concerned that when i upgrade her cs 5 to cs5.5, the hardware will loose its performance. i know she was talking about going with more software such as light room, dark room, etc. so i want her to have a pc that can stand up to her needs for these next few years.

I have already decided i would go a z68 route, though im flakey on hard drives for it, and how much processing power it needs to run that software. The 680i currently has a core 2 duo @ 3.1ghz and does a fine job (those who are curious, im running 6gb ram). I plan to do a RAID 10 on (x4) 2tb, but im not sure if i should drop the money into WD black or green.

Also my biggest question is what GPU is needed for workstations?? Would saving my money by running the 250gts be insane? im not a huge fan at thinking about $300+ for a GPU, but then again im not sure what this software demands.

So what is every ones thoughts?? what would be the best route for a decent desktop??
  2. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    if the programs being used take advantage of quad cores then definitely a quad,i5,Solid State Drives are amazing and will noticeably speed up loading times of programs, i am very happy with mine, computer seems snappy, goes nicely with overclocked i5 2500k
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. PHaS3

PHaS3

Thanks Received:
    I agree with BraveSoul. Graphics-wise a GTS250 should be ok, but you could look at something like a GTX560 or even a Radeon HD 5770 / 6770.
  4. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    1) The core 2 duo is...underwhelming. If you're using threaded programs like CS5 and dark room then you should be playing with at least a quad core.

2) Those HDDs are going to be very expensive. Holding off on an upgrade until mid next year (when supplies are finally replenished) may be worth it. HDD prices, and the release of IB, will change the market.

3) Using a 10 array is crazy. Why not have a working drive, an SSD for the OS, and a detached back-up? The storage space and price will be similar, but most SSDs will be snappier than any RAIDed mechanical HDDs.

4) What is the upgrade impetus? New software may be more demanding, but trying it on the current system might be worth while. You never really know what's going to happen.

5) A 560 of 560Ti graphics card is what you want. Nvidea is well supported by Adobe programs ( GPU based computing), and the 560 should exceed the performance of your current card by a substantial margin, for about 200 USD.
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I agree with the 2500K route. But not with the Gaming graphics. Gaming cards are made for speed not precision. If she is working with photos and or video then you want a card that has precision. Fast ram is not that important well at least not 256 / DDR5. You could get by with a 250 /450 or a 5670 even. But call around to photographers see what they use. Ive built a few workstations and the graphics are different. They do get pricy though but some like the Quadro 600 can be had for the same price
  6. PHaS3

PHaS3

Thanks Received:
    CS 5.5 and Photoshop hardly need a Quadro... A normal GeForce or Radeon will be fine. A 560 / Ti if going Nvidia, and a 5770/6770 will be fine from AMD. I wouldn't recommend more power for simple Photoshop work.
  7. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    I upgraded a friends box with a Quadro 600, but he does videography as well as photography (AE, PP, PS). An easy choice given the software used, less worry about features flaking out, and that it's only $180. He meets deadlines and I get less support calls ;)

However, with just PS and Lightroom, I'm leaning towards keeping the 250 GTS awhile longer. Clean it's heatsink well, replace the fan if necessary, and install official drivers. Then test with the new software.
  8. PHaS3

PHaS3

Thanks Received:
    ^^ What he said :D