1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"World CEP2 Challenge" planning thread

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Chevalr1c, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I have no issue with it.... WCG will do all of the math for it anyway.

If there are no significant objections, the next step would be to put it all together to present to our captain for his review/approval prior to launching the official thread here and opening up the challenge at WCG.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Sounds good to me! Runtime is certainly an interesting alternative to how things are usually scored :toast:

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I think I will add a small PP donation for a lucky draw among the lower 50% of the participating teams, as long as they have a runtime of at least 1 day during the challenge. I will leave it up to their respective captains to decide how to divide the money within their team.
    The top 50% will be able to win a small PP donation of mine as well, a slightly bigger one than the aforementioned. Once again, I will leave it up to their respective captains to decide how to divide the money within their team.
    I will most likely exclude TPU from this draw, because we are having a prize draw of our own.

I think I will add 11 euro and 7 euro to the prize pot for the top ranks resp. lower ranks draws. If anyone else want to contribute to the "team prizes", let us know.

ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Norton

Thanks Received:
    If you're going to offer any prizes outside of TPU it would probably be best if you took the offer out to the WCG forum where the competing Teams will have a chance to see it, respond, etc... Chicken Patty usually opens a thread there upon setting the challenge at WCG and posts the links back here. That thread would be the best place to make the offer.

Now regarding our TPU prize drawings/setup for this challenge.....

Do you want to take the lead on this and set it up or do you want to defer to a volunteer?

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I was "making the offer" here to ake sure you and te captain could see it and copy-paste it into his announcement on the WCG site.

I could take the lead in the prize area, if you think this has any benefit. Who did normally do this? I would like to discuss things a bit with that person in order to make sure everything will go smoothly. :) Just sent me a PM.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    There is a thread already on WCG forums for the challenge. I also bumped it yesterday.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Norton

Thanks Received:
    That's for this weekend's Warm Up Challenge (the little one). There will be a fresh one for the CEP2 challenge once the planning is done and CP opens it up @ WCG :)

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I musta misread, well theres a link to the warm up challenge over at WCG :D

Chevalr1c and Arjai say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Let me know when you guys wanna open it over there.

Chevalr1c and Norton say thanks.
  10. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    A quick question, shall we use the same prize requirements for the TPU prize draws as for the Team prizes? With other words, shall the minimum be 1 day of RT for the TPU draw too?

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I say its fine like that.

Norton and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  12. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Anywhere from 24-48hrs of runtime seems fair to me given the duration of this challenge

Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Now that we have finished up our Warm Up.... time to finish up our planning for this Challenge and give it a proper launch.

Chevalr1c:

You may my full support, for what it's worth, to get this Challenge going and help make it a success. Drop me a PM and/or post here to discuss.

LET'S LIGHT THIS CANDLE!!! :cool:

xvi, Chevalr1c and Chicken Patty say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Chevalr1c, Arjai and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Summary

I suggest that we will run the World CEP2 Challenge from 6 october 2013 @ 0:00 UTC until 14 october 2013 @ 0:00 UTC, more or less in paralel to the World Solar Challenge 2013.

It will be a CEP2 runtime challenge, but team members, existing, new, or returning, should be given the option to either run All Projects or CEP2 exclusively. We have seen several discussions going on that address various means of handling more CEP2 work as well as some of the difficulties in doing so. All of these tips (or links) can be included in the OP for the challenge thread when launched.
    New/returning members contributing in either format will also enhance our challenge and our WCG performance.

Team prizes:
    I think I will add a small PP donation for a lucky draw among the lower 50% of the participating teams, as long as they have a runtime of at least 1 day during the challenge. I will leave it up to their respective captains to decide how to divide the money within their team.
    The top 50% will be able to win a small PP donation of mine as well, a slightly bigger one than the aforementioned. Once again, I will leave it up to their respective captains to decide how to divide the money within their team.
    I will most likely exclude TPU from this draw, because we are having a prize draw of our own.

I think I will add 11 euro and 7 euro to the prize pot for the top ranks resp. lower ranks draws. If anyone else want to contribute to the "team prizes", let me know.

Internal prizes:
    We will use the same prize requirements for the TPU prize draws as for the Team prizes. With other words, the minimum is 1 day of runtime.

The internal prizes will be (?)

Norton and xvi say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Looks good! Drop the Cap'n a PM if you're ready for him to open the Challenge @ WCG :toast:

We have the following to seed the Team members prizes for this Challenge:

- $25 Paypal gift- provided by Norton
    - Windows 7 Pro key (x2)- provided by [Ion]
    - Windows 7 Pro key - provided by Bow
    * note- these are prizes from the last Challenge that I opted to hold over until this one

If anyone else would like to contribute an item for a Team drawing please let us know.

Also, if anyone is interested in a cruncher rig build for this Challenge please let me know via PM :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I am ready to open it up, it's 11 days before the start so it is eally getting time to get things announced and ready to roll.

Chicken Patty says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Short CEP2 work units

FYI- There are some short CEP2 work units popping up- around 1 hr each on my rigs. I have run a few of them but I have little knowledge of what they are or how long they will be running.

Keep an eye out for them and if any pop up in your BOINC Manager please post a screenshot of them running ;)

Would be nice if these become regular for a while- more crunchers will be more likely run them as they could help avoid the large upload and long runtime issues of the original wu's. :toast:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Confirmed--count me in for those keys, and I'll see if I can swing another two more :)

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    All that want to be eligible for the prizes have to be posting in this thread so that I can put you in the list in the OP.

Crunching for Team TPU