1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

World of Warcraft "as addictive as cocaine"

Discussion in 'Games' started by Super XP, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I bought WOW back in 2006 and it still sits in its original untouched and unopened package because I do not agree that people should have to pay every month just to play this game. It's utterly ridiculous especially when they make you pay for the retail copy.

This is why Left 4 Dead is the best deal for Single Player & MMO Multi-Player, buy the game and play all you want. Your original purchase warrants that Playing guarantee. No other fees, nothing, just enjoy your purchase. Now Expansion packs are a different story and I don’t mind buying then. Valve is really good this way, without ripping people off like Blizzard has been doing for a few years now.

Now this is interesting: I think people are taking WOW way too serious, like many which refuse to eat food or even use the washroom and end up holding it for several hours at a time. Explain to me how one can get so addicted to games like WOW? I just cannot fathom that, it’s a game for crying out loud. Play & have fun then move on to something productive, plain and simple. And if you find it difficult, then give yourself a few hours a day for gaming, just to satisfy your needs. But gaming for 24hrs + straight? WTF?

World of Warcraft "as addictive as cocaine"
    http://ca.tech.yahoo.com/experts/chrisnull/article/2746

2. RandomSunchips New Member

Thanks Received:
    I always knew I was a crackhead. :laugh:

3. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    That crapfest isn't addicting. Now, Everquest..

4. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Now Everquest.. is a different story :D

5. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    I hate WOW. L4D FTW!

Braveheart says thanks.
  6. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Some people at my work talk about WOW alot. It's like a baby and its bottle.

7. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    I hear about it all the damn time In my Programming class, all the little Nerds who have never touched a woman in their lives always debate about who has more skills. I just want to :nutkick: them sometimes.

8. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    :roll:

9. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: It drives me insane man. Then they start argueing and I :banghead:

10. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Super,

I said the same thing some years back until a friend got me playing it back in September of 08. I wasnt about to pay $15 a month for a game. But I realized, that the money they charge you per month goes to the dev's to maintain the game and help keep all their servers worldwide up and running. This includes any new parts that needs to be replaced in the servers, basic maintenance, and what-have-you.

Its amazing how much flak WoW gets. People judge the game without even playing it. Which is just stupid and ignorant. If you played it and like it fine, but dont judge others for playing the game. Now im not saying you Super are doing that, its just in general because people to do it. And as Shadow calls it a "crapfest". Just plain stupid. Fanboyish if you will.

I personally am not addicted to the game. I played it for the first month, bought a 2 month prepaid game card, played maybe half a month and quit till almost the end of the second month and picked up the game again. I have been playing every month ever since because of the fact that there really isnt a game out there that I feel is any good. I have been playing Mirror's Edge but that game just pisses me off for as much as i love it and the graphics of the game. I have no opinon on F4D as I have yet to play it. Doubt I even will.

The comment on playing for 24hrs+ straight, I havent gone 24hrs straight but ive come damn close and NOT with WoW but with other games years ago before WoW was even released/had any interest in playing it.

As of right now, I am slowly getting away from gaming and I thought that day would never come. I am actually getting bored of WoW and every game I own and no other game really looks all that appealing to me.

HWA getting too slow for you now? :)

Starting to see more and more of you around here. :)

11. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    If your Refering to Me I dont judge everyone that plays it, only the Tards In my programming class :toast:

12. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Now that is where I know you from :laugh:
    I fully understand your point but let's do the math. This is also only for last year 2008. 11.5 million WOW users x $15 per month x 12 months = $2,070,000,000 + $402,500,000 (11.5 Million x $35 per retail game) Grand Total = They are filthy rich :laugh:
    LINK:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft

13. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Most online games are like this, once you got into it, it's hard to get out.

I did spent quite alot time for an online game (almost 2 years for it), and that was 2 years ago.
    I'm really happy right now that I got out of that hell, wasted so much time for it.

I kinda sick of games that require me to spend hours for training, just to impresses other people.

Anyway, I think it's true that once you got into it, it will be addictive as cocaine.

Are you under the influence or above it? :D

http://www.abovetheinfluence.com

14. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    They are Filthy Rich, stealing all the Poor nerds who sweep floors around their parents house weekly just to pay that 15 a Month...:( :laugh:

15. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Wasnt necessarily referring to anyone on here. Just a general statement.

Couldnt remember where you seen me last? :p

You never know the cost of all those servers plus they still gotta pay all those employees. :)

----------------
    Now playing: Bullet for My Valentine - Tears Dont Fall
    via FoxyTunes

16. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Must be nice to work for Blizzard.

17. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Personally, im neither. The game doesnt get the best of me. Never has and never will. WoW is/was never addicting to me. It was just something that kept me busy to help pass the day along just like any other game. Then again, im not like most people.

The only reason I started playing the game was because I was sick of mindlessly playing all the other games I have beaten so many times before. FPS was just getting boring. Now for me, gaming in general is getting boring.

If i worked for blizzard, i doubt id be posting here. So dont even go that route.

18. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I could see your reasoning..Some people get Hardcore addicted to games like this, Ive heard of Guys Wives leaving them :roll:

19. ChiSox

ChiSox

Thanks Received:
    Lets do the other math

PRICE PER gram OF COCAINE

Lets says $80(gram) X wiki says 16% use it(250Mil Adults in USA=4mil) X lets say 1 a month=

80x4Milx12=38400000000 ohhhh 38 BILLION DOLLARS!!!!:twitch::shadedshu

20. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Ive read that too and its pathetic.

Ive linked up with a friend that I went to school with towards the end of last year. She is now in the process of a divorce and her husband was like that with the game. When she wanted sex hed rather play the game. :shadedshu

And no, that is not why they are in the process of a divorce. :slap:

----------------
    Now playing: Insane Clown Posse - Boogie Woogie Wu
    via FoxyTunes

21. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    WOW, that is sad. Hey lets have sex...NO IM TRYING TO LEVEL UP TO 98!! :shadedshu So sad.

22. ChiSox

ChiSox

Thanks Received:
    Well its pretty tough to install a floppy disk.......

23. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I will admit once the new expansion comes out it will go to lvl 90, but then they will have 10 more expansions after that. (one for every lvl to 100) :laugh:

24. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    obviously cocaine has no effect on me. i didnt even last the 2 week trial before giving up WoW

when the wow people talk about skills, i challenge them to a game of supcom. i tell them that if them AND their buddies can beat me, i'll accept they are good gamers.

so far, i've won 4 7v1 matches against hordes of noobs.

25. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    LOL
    HAHA I just guessed a random number....Didnt think it went that High :roll:
    Same here I never liked it.