1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Worrying Temps 4770K

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Dimi, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Dimi

Thanks Received:
    I recently built my new pc and all went well for 3 days, now i'm getting a bsod once in a while, sometimes ingame, sometimes during an intel burntest.

I noticed my temps getting very very hot, using a h100i (seated well) with sp120 quiet edition fans blowing out of the case.

This is a screenshot about a minute into the test

[​IMG]
    image hosting more than 5mb

What is going on? I did a memtest that came out clean. Motherboard has the latest bios. Default bios settings, non oc'd.

At idle, the cpu runs at about 28-34 degrees with ambient temp of 26-27 degrees.

2. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I think your default voltage is too high for stock clocks, you could try setting it much lower and your temps will get under control.

I mean I don't think I've seen anything over 1.050v for Haswell stock.

I may be wrong though, had limited time toying with Haswell.

3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    no oc, and getting 80+ C on stock.

Yikes.

try to re-apply thermal paste.

AVX-based IBT testing, will do that, yep, many chips and motherboards show this. But also, yeah, BIOS seem to be setting slightly higher voltages than needed.

4. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Could be a very hot sample due to bad IHS paste? I remember it happened with Ivy to some in the past.

5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Could be, but to me, that's normal Haswell, and why some people were complaining about temps.

6. Dimi

Thanks Received:
    I'm using the thermal paste that came on the h100i, don't have any other laying around.

7. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    reduce your voltage and reverse the fans on your H100. they should be pulling cool air from outside the case, not pulling hot air from inside the case.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Not necessarily, if his case has good airflow, he can use the fans on the H100 as "exhaust" just fine. I think its an issue like what Dave said. BIOS is setting the voltage higher then it needs to be.

1.26v is what people are using for about 4.6ghz overclocks, if he is running at stock, and his board is throwing that much volts at the chip, he needs to manually set it so its not doing that.

9. Dimi

Thanks Received:
    What should i set it to? 1.150?

Btw, why is such a "highend" motherboard not able to set the correct core volts?

Another thing, updating the bios on this board is a big effing scare, it reboots and shuts down the system a couple times without giving any sign of doing so.

10. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Go into the BIOS and do "optimize defaults" before changing anything.

11. Dimi

Thanks Received:
    I had a bsod when running cinebench from an external harddisk connected via usb3, i put the cinebench on my c drive, disconnected the usb3 drive and the test went fine.

This was the bsod

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff558949(v=vs.85).aspx

Think that disk can cause the crash? This drive worked fine for so long.

Also set the vcore to 1.150 and during the (allbeit short) cinebench run, temps did not go over 60°.

12. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    first reset all to default then check it, make sure you have good airflow.
    applying better thermal paste could help you lowering the temp

is the pump working normally?
    check how good your heatsink contact

and for bsod, do you use from front panel or from back i/o
    have you check the cable too, maybe it failed to transfer and resulting bsod
    have you tried copying your working files to pc then after finish send it back to external drive

13. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    He just dropped voltages to 1.15v. Temps didn't go higher then 60c. Think that's pretty good. Might be able to go lower on temps with a little bit more tweaking, but im not sure.

14. Dimi

Thanks Received:
  15. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Are you using beta drivers? If so use the latest WHQL drivers. If using the latest WHQL drivers try rolling back to the second to latest WHQL drivers.

On to your temps... if you have the batch number, look it up on the Intel CPU finder thing. It should tell you what voltage it's supposed to run at. The batch number should be on the box as well on the CPU itself. Look for a 5 character code, for example my Q6600 is SLACR I believe. Also take a look at what your memory is rated to run at by the manufacturer... timings, speed, voltage. This could possibly explain the BSOD you're getting.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    IBT probably does bump voltage up more than normal with Haswell but I would of reset bios defaults and see what prime95 an Cinebench result core voltage .
    You shouldn't have to manually lower voltage , whats the default voltage type option , "offset" I know there newer option that raises voltage on demand but that is not default AFAIK .

With 760 being so new your having issues with newer drivers 320.xx, 326.xx . Many users getting problems . the 314,xx are good but 7xx need newer or need hacked ini to install .

There should be new driver (WHQL) coming in few days (supposedly ) that hopefully fixes many of issues .

17. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    MEH. That isnt the crux of the issue here. That is if you want every single degree you can get and risking ruining case airflow. 99.9999999% of people here should just have the rad exhaust, not intake as 99.9999999% dont remotely need every degree C and botch their case airflow for nothing.