1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Worth it to upgrade to win 8??

Discussion in 'General Software' started by overclocking101, Mar 11, 2013.

1. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    so glad i posted before doing it, damn its overwhelimingly dont do it. looks like im sticking with 7

2. naoan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Granted, you may like it if it somehow fit your use case as it certainly so for some people. I'd sooner learn to use Arch linux with Cinnamon DE myself than the abomination MS call Windows 8 with its TIFKAM, that or stick with 7 until it's EOL'd.

3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I did an in-place upgrade to 8 for $15. Everything works fine. Everything is where it belongs. It did not jam everything in Windows.old. I've had no problems with it at all other than Windows letting me know an application is not Win8 compatible, but they run run anyway.

There are some features that I really like and others that are meh, but going to 8 hasn't really made much of a difference one way or the other. For $15 bucks it was worth it to play with a new OS. I have not installed a "direct to desktop" mod as it's only one click to get there anyway once the UI starts.

Just my 2 cents.

4. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I tested windows 8 a long while ago. It gave me a panic attack.

5. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    im using windows 8 and loveeee it!!! yeee im being sarcastic......although it does have some cool features like showing all my mail, news etc in the start screen....but wish they had a quicker restart/power button.!

6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I put shutdown and restart on both the desktop and the UI.

7. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Saves going back to it as I have, I couldn't oc my gpus as high at all , benches were low sometimes and metro broke a few times requiring a restore, I liked it oddly just for htpc not main gaming rig.

5 Million points folded for TPU
  8. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Looking through the comments here, it's surprising just how polarised opinions are.

Windows 8 is a real Marmite moment. :p

9. zilla New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL, actually, and quite ironically, windows 7 is Windows 8 done right :D. it's just miles better regarding overall usability and UI friendliness. Win8 offers no advantages but instead offers disadvantages.

10. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Yes. and if you do not like the GUI, get Start8 from Stardock. Brings back the start button and all the functionality of Win7 UI with the added features, and the improvements to the backend, overhauled kernel, and more secure.

Educate yourself a little bit to the fact that Win8 is not simply a UI change. There are advantages to Windows 8, people just need to be able to look past the UI, and the change that brought to the platform.

Im still running Windows 7, but will switch to 8 this summer when I do a semi-new build before heading off to college.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    No point to upgrade.

No point in building a new PC with Win7, though.

I use Win8 daily, and love it. I also use Win7, and it seems very much "stupid" in comparison to Win8. I literally can get more done, faster, in Win8 than Win7, and the whole startbar thing doesn't bother me one bit. I like the new way, actually, since it allows for far less clutter. I also don't care if an OS takes up more resources than another, since I tend to use high-end PCs where such things are of little or no consequence.

Overall, even my gaming is faster in Win8, by about 3-5%. I dunno how or why, but enjoy the extra performance just the same.

The change over can be quite shocking, I guess, if you don't like to explore new things.

syeef says thanks.
  12. zilla New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^ Both of the last posts are relevant and accurate. I'm an MSDN member long time and have given MS plenty of feedback. Regarding Win8, it's true that once you get past and learn the new (* WANNA BE LIKE ANDRIOD*) os it boots faster than seven, and is as good a gaming OS as 7. Personally I can deal with it, but as an IT admin for a very large corp, and for any corporation, and the general mom & pop scene 8 is a nightmare --- yes only because of the forced IU :laugh:

That said? I believe Win9 will have the ability to boot directly into old school W7-XP menus, and the ability to boot into and use the Metro IU (with all the associated app pushing lol)

Peace ...

13. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    nuth is forced, u can get a lot of Freeware Start Menu's that can also disable the Metro UI from start up.

i use the Classic Start from here myself on my Intel X-25M 80gb SSD for testing win8: http://ninite.com/

14. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    LOL if you go to the linux version of that site they have a corny background.

15. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Every regular consumer I've talked to in person about it has said that it's okay but it's not worth it if you don't have a touch screen and I agree with that. If you don't have a touch screen you might as well stick with 7.

16. zilla New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya i know the drill =) talked may regular consumer into Start8 and other alternatives :). They work nicely.

17. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Boots faster and works a little more snappy. The metro UI is a failure with current applications. I find best ergonomy in pinned applications on taskbar in Win7.

18. dunnmelaniej New Member

Thanks Received:
    Totally Agreeable. Moreover when there comes a new version most of other useful programs become non compatible for this. I have installed Windows 8 recently and got to face so many issues when trying to work with other third party program due to compatibility problems and had to get back to Windows 7.