1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Worth waiting for Radeon 7xxx-series?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Jegergrim, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone, this'll be my first topic :eek:
    Since I'll be building a new rig in Q4 2011 waiting for BD/SB-E, I wonder if the first generation of 7xxx radeon series will be outperforming the current last generation 6xxx-series such as 6950 and 6970, or moreover whether it'll be worth the price/performance ratio.
    I prefer to keep the topic objective, reasonings based upon radeon past releases, the upcomming 32nm tech, the nvidia 6xx series could also be relevant to mention..

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, the 6xxx and the GTX5xx are already giving very good value for money, and I dont think there is a need to wait unless you are willing to wait until Q1 for announcement, and maybe later for widespread availability.

3. Shihabyooo

Shihabyooo

Thanks Received:
    One thing I love about the future, no one knows anything about it :/
    Though I'm not very optimistic about the upcoming generation of both AMD & Nvidia GPUs. The delays had me thinking the prototypes' performance was low, or at least hasn't increased from the current gen's performance. I think the Radeon 7xxx series will focus more on performance per watt and less heat generation.

4. Derek12

Thanks Received:
  5. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Radeon 7xxx (or Southern Islands) is not 32nm tech. It's 28nm tech. Which won't be out till Q1 2012 (according to informed sources on TPU). TSMC is in charge currently of the process and yup, as we all know, new processes can be flaky unless based on an old design. Some people are saying that Southern Islands is little more than a die shrink with some extra thrown in, it's not a new architecture, though this article has a bit more about it. (http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-...nds-GPU-Architecture-at-FDS-2011-206660.shtml)

Nvidia's new design is a new design and very little seems to be known about it? (Clarity anyone?)

As for is it worth waiting for? No, how can it be when nothing concrete is known. By a custom cooled 6970/6950 or 580/570 and be done.

Simples.

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't get it. If you're waiting to buy the rest of your parts, why buy any parts now? Nobody knows how the next gen of cards are going to perform so your best bet is to wait with the rest of your build.

TheMailMan78, AsRock and LordJummy say thanks.
  7. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go for the best offer NOW!!!
    Maybe in 2012 you'll have a raise and a promotion,your wife will start thinking that she's spending too much money:laugh:on shopping and the world economy will see a raise of 10%/week:toast:....so...u can buy another system,the latest and greatest(each month)
    That's the future,a big bold MAYBE...so I definitely suggest : GO OUT AND BUY YOURSELF A NICE GFX CARD

8. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I still think AMD should change the naming convention. At this rate, they'll have two 7000 series, two 8000 series and two 9000 series.

9. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Whilst Fourstaff has a really good point about the current generation being good, this post here is very important. You may as well wait as the really good cards will still be in production when you buy the CPU/ Motherboard parts, and will most likely be even cheaper.

I would wait unless you need a new GPU RIGHT NOW.

10. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Apparantly the 7xxx series is due Q4 2011

According to the new sources the 7xxx is due for Q4 2011 http://www.donanimhaber.com/ekran-k...kran-kartlari-PCie-30-destegi-ile-geliyor.htm

I found this source through another hardware forum, but cannot exactly remember

11. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    ATI wouldnt pull an Nvidia and go to a new arch on a new node. Based on AMD's track record there will not be a 7000 series card for atleast a year. If there is a 7000 series card it will not be on AMDs new arch it will be VLIW4.

12. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    This.

Why buy a card you're not going to use until later when you build a new system? Buy it all when you're ready. Stupid to buy parts in advance and hold on to them.

13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yep.. I would wait for the 7xxx regardless. When spending $200+ on a video card i like to get a real nice one but one that be around as long as possible as i would hate getting a new v card for it to be replaced 3 month later regardless of past performance of the last gen..

Wont INTEL's 2012 socket be out next year too ?.

14. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    If the 7xxx from AMD will be out at the end of this year why not wait a little bit longer for Q1 next year for Nvidia 6xx or whatever because they might be even better.... and so on....

Seriously, if you build a machine now buy what's available now, in 2 months time things will change, in 6 months time again, it's a never ending story.

15. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also what I decided on :) Also I think some might have misunderstood when I wrote "whether its worth waiting for the 7xxx series", I didn't mean that I would buy any part prior to the GPU itself just to clarify :)

As far as I know they only have the Ivy Bridge due to march-april, which is based on lga 1155 socket

16. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ofcourse this is true, but its not every 2 months new "shrinked" dies arrive, or new architectures for that matter, or rather I would like to reason and justify waiting the extra duration just because of small things

17. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well if you're going to start building it in Q4 2011, then you should wait to buy any parts until then. Just write down what you want now and update the list as hardware changes. Just don't buy bits and pieces now if you're not going to build the whole thing until then.

18. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    correct me if im wrong, isn,t radeon 7000 series being made on a different version of 28nm process, easier to develop perhaps, where as nvidia's 28nm process should be of better quality, but will take longer to develop thus the reason for their later arrival vs earlier arrival of the 7000 series..
    ,,,very happy with my 5850, bought it right when it was released and right before it was out of stock due to high demend :) ,will be 2 years soon and still playing games with satisfactory fps,,i hope 7000 series will be similar to 5000 series in overclocking and performance increase vs previous gen.
    would definitely wait for it

19. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Take the HD6000 series. HD7000 is so far away we don't know anything about it so waiting for something you don't know anything about is a bit stupid. HD6900 series are very mature and you can't go wrong with it really. If you'll wait for HD7000, you just may wait forever because then, HD8000 is around the corner as well...

20. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    +1

Outside of benchmarks and a few games, nothing really maxing out current gen cards. Don't see massive performance increases till we have some massive software/game increases. It like having the most awesome 4x4 and living in the city.

21. TimoX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd opt for 6xxx series for a few reasons, primarily driver support.

When 5xxx series first came out everyone constantly complained and had driver issues.
    When 6xxx series came out, same thing. I don't see how the 7xxx series will be different.

You can go with more solid 6xxx series drivers and known performance, or pay more for 7xxx and be a hardware/software guinea pig.

In the end, either way good luck on the new build. :)

22. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aye, its a good point. Although the 7xxx series just got pushed till 2012 aswell, so I'm current contemplating between 6970 and 570, and will be building my rig in Q4 :)

All the help and responses in this thread is most appreciated

23. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Where did you hear/read this? :)

24. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Danish hardware forum, which got it from Donanimhaber, link is here: http://www.tweak.dk/nyheder2.php?id...ed_naeste_generation_af_grafik_chip_i_Q1_2012

You might be able to use a google translator, not sure.

It also states that it will be based upon 40nm technology afterall and not the 28nm announced by AMD. I ofcource cannot know the legitimacy of the source, would just share since you asked :)

erocker says thanks.
  25. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I hope it's not true. It would be quite a dissappointent.