1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Would 1150/1200 ram be better than what I have now?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by alexp999, Aug 24, 2008.

1. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    You can see the ram in my specs, but I have noticed, I never use the full 4gb. Even crysis tops out at 1gb, and I have never seen any of my games use more.
    i also noticed all of the 3dmark06 records are done with 2gb.

So I was wondering, would something like this:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_9200_reaper_hpc_edition

Be better than what I have now? for gaming I mean. How much would it change things going from 4gb @ 800Mhz to 2 gb @ 1200Mhz (if i can get them there.)

:toast:

2. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Ram speed makes its bandwidth higher... Lets be perfectly honest here outside of benchmarks, memory bandwidth on computers these days is massively higher than 99.9% of applications will consider using.

To give you a better idea, playing Supreme Commander, I get very little difference from 667 dual channel to 900 dual channel, now if I go single channel I'm all screwed up.

There is a difference yes, but its so minimal one you have dual channel I would say its not worth it.

alexp999 says thanks.
  3. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Woudl load/boot times be any different? its just I could prob get this ram and sell my old stuff to my dad for roughly the same price. But I dont know whats better, capacity or speed. Cus if games arent using the 4gb...

4. kyle2020 Guest

i wouldnt see the point, purely because you need to consider memory demand from future games and programs.

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Stick with what you have. If you were to do a memory upgrade, GSkill Pi's are the way to go right now.

6. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    What I'd really like is 4gb @ 1200mhz, but it seems you cant get that. :(

7. kyle2020 Guest

of course you can, just requires overclocking and loose timings. and patience, of course :laugh:

8. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Thought that the chips that have the density required to make 2gb sticks couldnt make 1200Mhz?

Oh wait no, just found it:

http://newgskill.web-bi.net/bbs/vie...&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=125

See what you mean erocker.

i want those!!! :cry: how much are they? are they out yet? in UK?

EDIT:

Why so god damn expensive!

http://www.memoryc.co.uk/products/d...15-Dual_Channel_kit_w-PI_Heatsinks/index.html

Oh well, if it wont really mkae a difference I guess there is not point. I have an itch that needs scratching in that I want to get something for my PC, upto £50 (but less if poss), still thinking about changing the case. :p

is there anything you guys would change? (Dont say CPU, I'm trying out my dad's q6600 atm :D)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  9. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Neither matters if its not being used, because your processor and your video card are being the bottleneck. By the time you will need that much bandwidth or ram, your DDR2 will be outdated..

4gb is nice if you have a 64bit os for some games, I find supcom will use it in longer games, but that's the only game to date I have seen use over 1.5gb.