1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Would you call this safe?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Greenmousa, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    Thank you kindly for your answers.

I am aware of the GPU being the most important part when it comes to gaming, the thing is, the 9600BE SUCKS SO HARD that i wanted to change and i use Photoshop and Illustrator a freaking lot (graphic designer) so i wanted the ddr3 memos and well, overall a platform change, so GPU it's the next upgrade im going for a 5850.

Thank you guys for your answers it really helped, bottom line, im pretyy much stayin with my default 720X3 and check if it can be unlocked just to know, then im leaving it as it is with 3 cores and stock stuff. TheMailman advices makes the more sense to me, i am aware that some people are just clowns that claims that 500 mhz overclock it's a good move to gain 2fps more in crysis, i mean it's just not worth it.

So thanks again to all of you that helped here tonight i will come tomorrow with results and a new Rig :)

2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm an artist by trade so I use a great deal of Photoshop myself. If you can I would suggest you upgrade to a 955. Photoshop is multi-threaded and you WILL see a difference. I thought this rig was for gaming only?

3. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    No chance amigo, a 955 it's about 350 dolars here, it unbuyable for me right now so no. Im sticking with this 720 and will make the best of it. By the way, now you see why all the questions about unlocking the 4th core and stuff?? But well, it is how it is so im not complaining, im trying to make the best with what i have.

Thank you for your advices

4. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    Do u know PhenomMSRTweaker -program?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=220185

http://phenommsrtweake.sourceforge.net/

Works with changed multi + FSB (HT ref clock to be exact)

My system runs:
    Load: HT 207 + CPU multi x 15,5 (1,472V)
    Idle: HT 207 + CPU multi x 4 (0.992V)

I'd say that's the best program to save some energy and the CPU itself in long-time use.

Greenmousa and MT Alex say thanks.
  5. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I very much appreciate that bit of advice, Meizuman. Looking forward to testing this out, I'll let you know how things go:)

6. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    Well news flash my Phenom 2 won't unlock XD It's one of those that doesn't unlock XD

Ive tried absolutely everything (Hybrid FW, Core Per Core, Auto, All Core Clock Calibration, even upped the volts in case that was it) and then i found that there was a chance that my particular Chip just wouldn't unlock.

So, im cool with it, i will just Overclock it when some time passes upon him.

Thank you guys anyway for all the great feedback!!

And by the way, i love my Phenom 2 X3 720, it's a great processor and deffinitively an upgrade from my 9600BE.

Cheers!

7. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    This is the coolest thing since nude women, probably the handiest thing I have used when it comes to overclocking. Finally, I have increased my multi and still enjoy an idle down just like Cool N' Quiet. Went from 3.4 to 3.632 last night, gonna go higher now that it won't be idling at full power.

Sorry if these posts are a little off topic, but, Greenmousa, you should find this utility invaluable in your climate when you do decide to overclock.

8. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    I actually downloaded the program but...call me an idiot i don't know how to use iT :A!

So if someone throws some pointers then great!

9. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you download one of the Setup.zip files, then there is an exe file to open and install the resource. I clicked the huge green download now button, and it only included the source file, which I also had no idea how to use. Makes much more sense with the Setup.zip files, one is for 32 bit, and the other for 64.

10. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    lol i did the same thing well at least im not the only one XD!

So you are telling me you oc'ed based on that software only?

By the way im guessing a huge "No, i use it to keep the temps and volts down when im idling"

But i must ask anyway XD

11. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    You're exactly right.
    I always make changes in the BIOS.

Greenmousa says thanks.
  12. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    Ive tried the other day upping the multis in the bios, since i don't really intend going over the 3.2 ghz barrier (400mhz over stock) and the system was just fine, temps went from 44 at full load to 45.5 or something like that, the system was stable and all, but since i really didn't noticed any kind of improvement in gaming (Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins and Modern Warfare 2) i just turned it down to normal once more. For now, overclocking it's just a cool way to show people how much do you like to touch your bios :)

Im sure that a lot of people actually see differences in performance and stuff i just didn't cause, let's face it...2fps it's nothing to be called performance XD.

Thanks a lot for all of your feedback Alex!