1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wow I am a fool!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by WhiteLotus, Jul 4, 2010.

1. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Responding to Solaris I also installed my first computer without risers, didn't fry it luckily.
  2. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Thanks Received:
    this thread is perfect, we can all come out and admit we have all done amazingly stupid things :)

when I build my first rig I used the HDD screws for the motherboard, which destroyed my motherboard...it was fail.
  3. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    after cleaning my rig. i forgot to put in the processor.
  4. mauriek

Thanks Received:
    well..i made stupid mistake years ago..my first computer 8088XT or 80286 i dont remember exactly, i plug PSU cable to MB by wrong side then puff..cloud all over my case. no clue which right or left from PSU cable back then..

then in 2002 i forgot to put HSF in AthlonXP after cleaned it..we learn from the mistake anyway..
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I blew into a PC that was turned on last year, trying to get rid of some dust. The PC turned off instantly, mobo never to work again (ASUS A7V133 I think).
    Figured it must have been some saliva from when I blew :slap:
    mauriek says thanks.
  6. GENTLEMEN New Member

Thanks Received:
    I killed my Pentium 4 back then. Took off procy + cooler (forgot why). Put it back on (together!). Forced it in, broke a pin. :banghead: Only found out when it wouldn't boot. :( No pc for a week. :cry:

(same pc as above) Also burned out an HDD (IDE). I think ide cable was loose. It booted properly, then i smelled smoke from my pc while playing Far Cry. Looked at my pc and say some glowing thingie on the underside of my HDD. :twitch: Part of a transistor or something was burned out. It still worked for about a yearish till it worked no more.
  7. mauriek

Thanks Received:
    @scaminatrix
    Saliva..that was real funny lol..

you know HDD Conner 540Mb i think..the HDD board is too close to the screw hole if you didnt use the screw provided by conner manufacturer then the edge of the board will be damaged and you have dead drive..that also one thing i learn from live experience..
    scaminatrix says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    So don't feel bad... I worked with a guy who built an AMD system with a TT Volcano Heatsink.

He didn't read the instructions on where to put the thermal probe. So... he put it where any stupid person would - BETWEEN THE HEATSINK AND CPU. Needless to say, there wasn't much contact.

Anyway, I still don't know how he managed to do this, but he successfuly RMA'd a very blackened & scorched CPU. I saw it firsthand. :laugh:
  9. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, wasn't many chuckles at the time as I was fixing the PC for a friend. We eventually saw the funny side after I replaced his stuff!
    We can only learn...
  10. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    what that means "You have to be either 5 ..." ?

thx for the info :p
  11. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    My worst fuckup is still hotwiring a PSU with the 12v motherboard 8-pin still connected to a €200+ motherboard... The sweet stinking smell of burnt capacitors :D
  12. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    With a Pentium D I had a scythe Ninja rev.B all attached to a super expensive early LGA775 ASUS board and I forgot to use thermal paste. It was back when (Extreme Edition I think?) Pentium D's just came out and I remember thinking "this thing is so damn hot, the reviews were right!" Then I used thermal paste and it didn't shut down from going thermal during boot. I remember thinking "How did I forget that?" :laugh:
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  13. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, you can ask my authentic Gameboy classic that blowing never works.
    El_Mayo says thanks.
  14. Perseid New Member

Thanks Received:
    On my old 286 I plugged the floppy drive power cable in while the computer was on. Granted, I didn't KNOW the computer was on(I wasn't the only one working on it), but still...new floppy time. And back then a floppy drive was like $80.
  15. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Popping back to let everyone know I just managed to send a PM to myself :facepalm:

Also I recently found a visitor message I left for myself, trying to reply to one that was left for me :shadedshu

EDIT: Looks like this could be an ongoing thread, all our mistakes in one place (sticky?)
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  16. xenolith New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I'll never have the honor of making such a mistake in building a PC, I'm too darned scared to. I'm diagnosable OCD about it... I triple and quadruple check every jumper, plug, contact, and screw along the way. I guess that's why it takes me two or three days to reach the BIOS screen even with a basic air cooled build. :ohwell:
    scaminatrix says thanks.
  17. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Aah, see I'm the exact opposite, I don't mind breaking hardware. Even now I'm thinking about setting alight to my motherboard and putting it out with my face so I've got something to post about.
    El_Mayo says thanks.
  18. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    i did something that was way stupid dan you guys did xd,
    let's remove some ram while laptop was in sleep mode lol, did not see that, it's probally not good for that thing, the laptop was also just a few weeks old,.i did tons of stupid shit but nothing damaged .god bless me
  19. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I had to do that to my I7 PC. I decided to try the sleep mode and well it didn't work and would not wake up even if i unplugged the PSU and let the power drain or even remove the CMOS batt. So i took the ram out and started the PC without ram and it finally powered on, then i shut the system down and reinstalled the ram and it booted with no problem with default bios settings. I tell you! i was shitting bricks thinking something with the sleep mode fried something.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. xrealm20

xrealm20 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahh the good 'ol days of AT power supplies -- just had to make sure you had the black's lined up when you installed the two power connectors....
  21. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I did this the other day with the ven-x. I don't know how, because when I first saw the sticker on the base I remembered this thread... I kept getting shutdowns a few seconds after boot and was afraid I had tightened the cooler down too much, must have been over heating pretty fast.
  22. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    I just recently had temperature issues with my currant set up. I couldn’t figure out why and the only thing that I had changed was I added a shroud in my push / pull set up. After taking the board out several times and reseating the H50 block I saw that my shroud was not totally sealed on one side. I removed the shroud and my temperatures are where they should be. I was pretty upset with myself that I had to take the motherboard out and reseat the cpu block so many times. After a day of trying to figure out what was wrong I typed in google “Phenom II 940 temperatures high as !$#%”. I was laughing so hard my wife said I was insane I needed to go to sleep. Well least every thing is fixed now but it was so frustrating. :laugh:
  23. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    haha best part was it wasnt even my first PC. i had built several before hand. must have just been too excited.
  24. Rakesh95 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lololol you are a fool :laugh: Im surprised the plastic didnt melt, makes me wonder if im also getting high temps because of this:twitch:
  25. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    recently did some work on my parents computer, lost some stand-offs for the mobo but though it'l be fine. Everything went dandy untill i tried to plug the ide hdd in and heard a deafaning crack. The stand-off i lost went near where the ide slot is, i gues for support.... oh well neadless to say my parents killed me :p