1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wrong temperatures on Asus Probe 2 monitoring software

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kaynar, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    I was randomly looking at my motherboard's software when I came up with the following issue: Asus Probe 2 which is responsible for looking after your CPU temps and voltages is actually 20% off comparing to Core Temp, Real Temp (on which I've run sensor test) and HWmonitor. Below are 2 screenshots under load and in idle showing the difference:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I thought that ROG motherboards are for overclocking and stuff, but seeing the measurements are 10c (20%) off is making me wonder how serious (or not) Asus is as a high end mobo vendor if they cant get the temps right on a 4th revision motherboard....

Anyone else with ROG motherboards have such an issue?

edit: and yes I got the latest versions of Asus's software.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Asus doesn't make most/all of its software from what I know.
    Kaynar says thanks.
  3. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    AFAIK There measuring the CPU socket temp sensor not the core temps .
    This also goes to fan profile settings, they use the socket temps not core temps for min/max/% etc values .
    cadaveca says thanks.
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yep, the Motherboard's software monitors the sensor on the motherboard. Programs like CoreTemp and RealTemp use the sensors on the processor.
    Kaynar and cadaveca say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  5. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Ok thx, so it's basically useless software...
  6. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    No, not USELESS, it can give you an idea of when your fan speeds will go up and down, and it provides a general overview of your temps. Use it as part of a total package of information. Is Probe II necessary? Probably not, but if you've got the RAM, and you do, it's not hurting anything, and it does provide other useful information. Just don't depend on it as a barometer for overheating. For that, rely on RealTemp or CoreTemp.
  7. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Yes I do have the asus suite open 24/7 but since I do the overclock in the bios I don't need it for that. And then I use Asus's fan controling program to regulate the fans on my radiators based on the CPU's temp, which unfortunately is off by a fluctuating percentage of 10%to 20%
  8. DF is BUSY

DF is BUSY

Thanks Received:
    generally,

-i dont like using asus software to overclock, rather keep it in the bios where it should be
    -also, their monitoring software is pretty trash, so i'd avoid those too
    -i havent used some of their non-computer stuff like AI charger+ or usb3.0 boost
    -fan expert is great, controlling fans (though not too an exact rpm) is awesome regardless
    -wifi-to-go/engine is actually rather useful if you have it
  9. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    @DF is BUSY so I can use "fan expect" without using any other part of the software (ie I uninstall everything and reinstall fan expert alone?)
  10. DF is BUSY

DF is BUSY

Thanks Received:
    well if you download the whole asus suite from your motherboard support page, it gives you a big 180~ mb file (at least it did for my mobo), in there has ALL the software provided by the suite. extract, run the setup and from there you can CHOOSE exactly what you want to install. i deselected everything i didn't want/need and just installed things like fan expert, wifi, etc