1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WTB - 2 water blocks for CPU and a pump.

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade/Giveaway Forum' started by Lazzer408, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I need 2 waterblocks and a small pump for an experiment. shhhh. I can't say any more. :D Let me know if you have any old unwanted blocks laying around. Must have all required fittings and at least the top mounting bracket that holds it down. I have Paypal.

2. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    BUMP - Anyone? I'll take it with no fittings.

3. jlewis02 New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I don't need a watercooled kit. I just need some waterblocks for a project. Thanks though. :)

5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Are you water cooling a 360?

6. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Not exactly. I'm building a TEC chiller. It's quite advanced. The TEC itself is PWM feedback controlled by a mosfet regulator. It controls the temp of the outlet coolent and is user adjustable. Too cold and the coolent could freeze or condense inside the PC. To hot and well, it's to hot. Multifunction thermostat with c/f min/max in/out temp readout on a backlit LCD. Stainless steel enclosure. ATC powersupply. 120mm thermally controlled fans. It's gotta be functional AND quiet right? The reservoir is top filled with a slot in front of the unit where the user can see the LED illuminated coolant level. It puts "that other companie's" chiller to shame. :) When it's all said and done maybe I'll sell it to Thermaltake. :D

7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Sounds NICE! If you get it up and running, keep us posted on how it performs. I would be interested in doing something like that myself. If not just buying one off of you, lol.

8. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Right now I'm just testing the control circuit. A small heatsink on the TEC's coldside was used and 5v will get it to -4c. 3.3v will get it to 6c. The heatsink I used on the hot side is inadequate. The base is to thin. It was from a reciever where 8 small devices were spread around it and that was probably fine. With a central, and much hotter, heatsource, it's not working out. I'm searching for a better passive heatsink. After all it has to disapate the heat from the TEC and the heat from the CPU.

9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    How about cutting an old cpu heatsink to size?

10. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    That's too small. I need at least 120x120mm med. density fin with a thick base around 3/8" Peltiers get HOT. The cooler you can keep the hot side the cooler the cold side. The cold side will get me to 25F on 5v with the one I'm using. :)

11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking something automotive related might have a heatsink like that. I'll start digging around in the garage. If I think of/find something, I'll let you know.

12. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Good idea. I hope that wasn't a hunk of forged. lol Got a few questions: If that ends up not getting the job done, do you think copper would work better? And are those 80mm fans? If this tests out well for you, and it doesn't end up costing a small fortune, I wouldn't mind actually buying a setup from you, if you were willing to build and sell some, of course. If not, would you be interested in at least doing an instructional write-up on the control circuit? I could pull some strings and get a heatsink made if I had to, and tec plates are easy to come by.

13. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    It's looking like the most expencive thing is going to be the water blocks and maybe the pump. Everything else is pretty easy to fab. The first enclosure will be an aluminum angle frame with plexiglass inserts. Quick cheap and easy plus it'll look cool with the lights on it. :) I may end up making my own waterblocks. I don't think copper would help much. It would be expencive that's for sure. The aluminum plate was made from flat-stock that cost me $4 and a 6 pack to run a fly cutter over it to resurface it.