1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WTF!! Pentium D 920 @ Stock 62*C Idle!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Casheti, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well basically, when my side panel is off my CPU temp is 51*C idle, but with the side on its 62*C!! :wtf: I have two fans on the front for intake and one on the back for air extraction. I also have a 120mm on the PSU which blows into the case...why are my temps so high? Is it worth putting an extra fan on top of the case?? What can I do to cool this thing down... All suggestions welcome, PC is in sig...

2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I hate to ask what the load temps are... did you recently put the CPU on? Sounds like it may not be seated right???

The PSU fan usually sucks air out, not in. Your case may have a dead spot where the CPU is. I was in a similar situation with my old case, not so severe, fashoned a duct from a plastic downspout that brought fresh air right to my CPU fan. That dropped temps about 5c and allowed about 150 MHz more overclock.

3. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    CPU has been there since I got the PC. I've only just noticed the bad temps because this is the first time I have been able to check, because for a long time there was no software which supported my board. Anyways...the PSU has a fan on the bottom. Not sure if that blows or sucks.

4. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    is the a pre-built pc or did you build it yourself? and the fan in the psu most likely sucks air from inside the case out the back of the psu

5. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    Only thing left that is from HP is the motherboard. Yes, it was pre built, but I bought more ram, better video card, better case etc...so now it's pretty much Custom.

6. p-jack New Member

Thanks Received:
    if it ´s a pre-built machine: first thing to check is if the cooler is mounted properly... i´ve seen really weird things in some "out-of-box" comps :shadedshu

7. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    I would definitly take the heatsink and fan off the cpu and check its mounted correctly, my D950 w/ stock cooling runs 48c idle/58c loaded! That is still hot in my book but not dangerously, I am also waiting on some as5 coming through post so I can see if that makes a dif!

8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Definitely check the mounting... OEM heatsink installations are notoriously bad on average.

Also, does the HS have a fan on it??? The Dell (Ick) machines I've dealt with have all had a shroud that takes advantage of the exhaust fan to direct outgoing air across the HS. If you remove the shroud, the airflow across the HS is no longer sufficient.

9. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  10. p-jack New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^ for the xilence: as far as i can tell from the pics, the finish of the base looks pretty awful...

EDIT: DEFINATELY GO FOR THE FREEZER!!!

11. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    is this hp by chance a btx board? i had the same problem with my dualcore 3800 from gateway the stock btx heatsink was poorly made and temps were always around 49c and got up to 68c under load,i replaced the thermal goop that gtwy put on there and they went down a little bit,but now i finally made the transistion to liquid cooling and my temps are around 24c idle and 33c under load:rockout:

12. Clocked

Clocked New Member

Thanks Received:
    go for the Freezer 7

13. Greek

Greek New Member

Thanks Received:
    tut tut tut

cash its cz ur on intel mate lol, anywayz if he aint on i think he fuked his machine up cz he was gonna change the cpu coller today, and he aint online, i think it might of blown up lol

14. Clocked

Clocked New Member

Thanks Received:
    You think your funny but your not bro...;)

15. Greek

Greek New Member

Thanks Received:
    dude i no cash personally, and i talk tohim on vent all the time, i always take tyhe piss out of his cpu , but this time i put it in writing :)

16. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    hello greek m8,i got my core 2 duo,my score is up to 1928 now on science mark.and 16 seconds on super pi 1mb.

17. Greek

Greek New Member

Thanks Received:
    sweet, jump on ma vent, or do u need info?

18. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want a freezer and I have put numerous requests for one in the buy forum, but nobody has one for sale. For the moment I am using this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97426&&source=14&doy=search

Is it any good compared to an Arctic?? Certainly looks nice with the LED's. I'll post some pictures later.

Anyone know where I can buy some cathodes?? Anybody got some for sale?? Greek, you got any spares?? Some nice blue cathode lights would go down premium with the LED's on the front (if I can get them ever to work) and the CPU cooler.

19. Casheti

Casheti New Member

Thanks Received:
    And by the way, when I put new TIM on the CPU, I have some 99% Alcohol. Shall I clean it with that, and dry it off with a tissue? Is that the best way to do it?

20. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Did you pay £30 for that? You can get a brand new freezer off ebay for about £18 with postage in with that!

Alcohol will do fine, dont use the tissues tho, they will leave tissue crap on, lint free clothes would be better, or just use yesterday's boxers lol watch out for skidmarks though :p