1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wtf!!!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by NONYA, Feb 28, 2008.

1. NONYA

NONYA New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
  3. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    yup.. of course.. but its not very effective.. oil is non conductive and takes a long time to heat up.. which means great temps for a few hours on your oil rig.... and then the oil heats up.. and your temps jump high.. not really a good way to cool your pc for the time being..

4. NONYA

NONYA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I cant believe it doesnt ruin components,isnt there anything in a pc that requires O2 to operate properly?

5. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    nope lol.. though high rpm fans dont like the oil as its thick.. but go passive (like ultra 120 or xigma) or low rpm and its all good.

6. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i wouldnt use fans anyway...but having them in oil would oil up that little motor for smooth operation afterword..

7. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol kinda cool but did you see how much his CPU fan was struggling to deal with it?

8. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Despite what some may believe your computer is not "alive", it does not require O2, Food or water...LOL

9. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    whats really missing is something to cool the oil.. because the problem with oil cooling is that once the oil gets hot(after a few hours of usage) theres no way to cool it down.. and with it being hot.. and having your whole system immersed in it.. it really causes everything's temp to rise..

10. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    course there is way to cool the oil.. u pump it thru an external rad and blow a fan at it.. and anybody that tries to run a normal cpu fan in oil has to be brain dead.. he he

trog

11. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:

will the pump/rad actually be able to process the oil though? how would you exactly set up the tubing to cool the oil roflmao.. its just like dont connect anything for the input on the pump.. output go to rad.. tad output is a tube that puts the oil at the top of the case?

12. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha, each time you upgrade or sell old parts you have to wash them off, not to mention the huge mess that'd create. Copper and air are doing just fine for the time being.

13. NONYA

NONYA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Veggy oil will spoil when exposed to air for a long period of time...pretty stupid if u ask me.

14. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    We don't now if that is vegitable oil or something else though. There are a number of different oils that will do the job. Mineral oil is a good option.

As for cooling the oil off. It shouldn't be a problem, the large surface area of the tank should disapate the heat just fine from the oil. It will warm up, but not to anything extreme.

The biggest problem is keeping the oil moving. You have to keep it moving in the tank, which he did by leaving the fans on. If you go passive you have to do something else to keep the oil moving. Otherwise the oil around the hot components heats up and stops cooling. The oil is too think for the natural convection to move it around enough.

If you really wanted to, the best solution would be to do a similar setup, but use a pump to move the oil around. I would probably even hook the pump up to some tubing and and external radiator just to keep the oil extra cool, though that would be more for some extra show than actual cooling. Common water cooling parts should do the job just fine, but the flow will be a lot lower because of how think the oil is.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  15. Grasshopper New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you use some fine mineral oil and set the rig in all aluminium case... You can even set up some freon cooling (like air-conditioner) for the oil if you know anyone ho can build you one (I do). It will cost a forune, though.

16. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    its daft idea but to do it for real u would use thin oil.. it can be obtained.. a pipe at the bottom connected to an external rad.. it goes into the bottom of the rad.. a pipe at the top area of the oil would go to a connection in the top of the rad.. a pump either in the top or bottom line would keep it all circulating around..

there would be no need for any heatsinks or anything in the tank.. the oil would shift the heat straight from the components.. the rad and fan would keep the oil cool..

a normal water cooling external rad or two plus fan and half inch tubing would do the job..

trog

17. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i first saw this a few years ago, i have always wanted to try it like on a back up computer or something just to see how well it actually cools...

18. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    Im working on a design like this for my cooling system. I'll be using high grade mineral oil that will be cooled with pelts down to -10C. This way you wont have any condensation issues from the low temps. The tank that holds the oil and computer will be build inside of a wine cooler. This will insulate the air inside and also give it a pretty window to look inside.

Heres a Pic of the wine cooler and the fish tank:

[​IMG]

And here is the motherboard tray that will drip down inside of the oil:

[​IMG]

19. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    @ Fr@nk... are you going to leave those fans on there when u submerge it?

20. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    Some of them yea. Will see if they work or not and make changes as I go.

21. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds good, keep me posted im curious to see how it works!