1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

www.gamepowerup.com down

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrhuggles, Apr 18, 2009.

1. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    is this site down? i haven't seen a single post about it on TPU forums and its been down for me for a few days... maybe its just my dns provider?
  2. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I'm forbidden myself...
  3. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    W1zz has taken it down apparently
  4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I was curious too, I was not notified of the site's being shut down, but I can only assume it is down and out at least for now. I miss fighting spam in the name of GPU forums, but there really wasn't enough uniqueness or backing of GPU! to make it a formidable gaming site. It was growing in popularity slowly, but surely. GPU! we'll miss you!

And to think it started with this thread: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=38246&highlight=TPU! Games review

Maybe we can work on the games section of TPU Forums, I dunno. I'm kind of dissapointed myself, but there's not much I can do from this standpoint, my CoD4 review is gone now...but hey it was pretty old. There were some good ideas for how GPU should be formed, and be changed/modified, I just don't think there was enough time or attention necessary by those that could make those changes to get it done, which caused a severe drop in user support for the site. At the end of the day, we still have the gaming section on this forum and 1000's of other gaming sites out there.

:toast:
  5. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I couldnt be doing with another site to flick between, lol. I much prefer discussing stuff on TPU, same goes for GN.
  6. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i took it down until a vision and strategy for it can be found
  7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I still think that linking the gaming section from here to GPU would of helped that site. Shame really would of used it more but what was the point when all the gaming is talked and posted here on TPU :|.
  8. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    IMO, it's hard to have GPU as a seperate site and have a gaming section here too..people will just post here instead of heading over to GPU. Maybe if you linked GPU and took out posting in the gaming section here. I don't know I'm just thinking and speaking as I'm doing so. The same thing is happening to our new GN forums it's been dead the last few days..maybe due to the fact that alot of members don't want to join another forum even though it's powered by TPU.
  9. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    A lot of people suggested that as there was a PC Hardware section that linked directly to TPU Forums. Another issue many had were 2 seperate forums, but adding GPU Forums here some felt was going to create too large a forum. I had no problems being logged into 2 forums that were related, but it was kind of pointless looking back. GPU failed for many reasons, but it's very clear that as it was before it shut down was not something the members/viewers wanted and not something the admins wanted either. But getting ideas out in the air for a possible relaunch would be a plus.

One thing I wanted to see was member/user created review structures, granted that would've been a challenging task. We had a few staff reviews up, but it all depends on if people here really want to support it and if an idea is viable enough for W1z to want to put the time into relaunching GPU!. I gave repeated efforts, my ideas weren't great (but I tried! :D ), I'll take this as a sign that GPU! really won't stand a chance in the gaming site arena without something truly unique to attract more than a small handfull of TPU users in comparison to the millions out there on the web. Maybe some of you have some ideas to get the ball rolling, if so let's hear em! I'm no longer involved with GPU! at this point it seems, but I'll still show my support!

:toast:
  10. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    I think it should just be added here, if we keep expanding TPU more and more members will keep joining! It would make it a huge forum, what's wrong with that? Once again I'm just throwing out my thoughts.
  11. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I didn't go there because...
    a) the login system doesn't carry over (should be able to log in once to use all three sites)
    b) the games section was still here (nothing to encourage me to go there)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Game previews w/video
    Game reviews (possibly video reviews)
    News/Headlines
    Stories
    Editorials
    Hints/tips/codes etc.
    Separate sections for PC, PS3, Xbox360, etc.
    Downloads (patches, demos, etc.)
    Editorial Awards

It needs to be entirely different from the layout at TPU (just opinion), It's going to take a lot of staff/writers/journalists?, just look at other game magazines/sites...
  13. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    That's what my point was. I wish somehow we could combine all 3 into 1.
  14. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Its called Techpowerup.

I dont see why there needs to be more than one site.

If the Gaming section grows, then PS3 360 Wii, etc sub-forums can be added, much like the ATI and NVIDIA subforums.
  15. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    why not make it all one site by merging it here? have a section for hardware, general software, and gaming, all with their own forums, and support section and such? leave the tpu main page the way it is, and just break it down with new tabs for each section? I did some web development work in the past, and to me that sounds like the best idea?

EDIT: Post a poll for the idea? I'm sure merging all of our great minds will yield a good plan and layout for the remodel.
  16. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    That's what I was getting at? Or are you just agreeing with me?
  17. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Bascially we already have the Gaming section but maybe it just needs expanding.

Take a look at Hexus for example: forums.hexus.net

Their forums cover just about everything, then in each section, its borken down into sub forums.
  18. erocker

Thanks Received:
    It's more than just forums though. Look at gamespot.com or gamepro.com, the forums, while a part of the site are just an afterthought to the content that is on the site. Their staff is paid, it's their job to do these things:

Thing is if people are going to get paid, the site must be profitable for the owner. Starting such a venture is a daunting task indeed. If it's just forums we are concerned about, no I don't think there needs to be a separate forum minded site devoted to games. If a site is going to be profitable, it needs to appeal to the masses with the things in my quote above enough so so advertisers take notice and want to advertise on the site.
  19. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Well I thought it was just forums and gaming news.

Whats stopping those things being added to TPU tho?
  20. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Check my edit :)
  21. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    Like I said in my post about half way up. Collective thoughts and voting here would be a good start. Planning an easily navigatable layout is key. I think breaking down the site (TPU) into sections via tabs from the main page and reconstructing it a little bit would be the best option. check my above post..
  22. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Man you're starting to sound like a 21st century manager. :rolleyes:

The two sites do seem to compete (TPU and GPU), and there are well established sites almost impossible to shove aside. Differentiation is the key. Darwins law always is true, excepting crowd mentality.
  23. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I assume advertising revenue. Paying a full staff of journalists/editors costs money. I don't know too many people who want to work a full time job writing with deadlines for free.
  24. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Surely it makes no odds whether is on another site or here though? At least TPU has the base to alunch something new, and if it doesnt work it gets removed.
  25. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I think if a gaming site is done right it could be big enough to constitute it's own site. From a business perspective the more popular sites you have the better. Much more than cramming it all into one site. TPU is great, and it has a focus. The more and more different things that are added the more focus it can lose.