1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

www.ontoorthopedics.com Was Hacked!!

Discussion in 'Programming & Webmastering' started by flashstar, Aug 22, 2008.

1. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought that it was interesting how this website that I manage, www.ontoorthopedics.com was hacked. It must be getting more popular!

Anyway, what can I do to restore the site and how do I prevent future hacking? It wasn't a DNS problem because all of the data was deleted from the server. This site uses Go Daddy.

Thanks.
  2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Recover a backup?
  3. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking that. I just want to unleash pwnage upon these kiddie hackers.

The bigger question though is how do I prevent this from happening in the future?
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    E-mail Devil-Boy challenging him to a duel. Sabers, if possible.
  5. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Yet again, Dan comes up with a legendary post.

Just make sure the server has a good firewall, secure passwords etc. And if the site has more than 1 password, use different ones for each.
  6. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm wondering if it's a GoDaddy problem because all of my passwords have at least 1 number and 1 capital letter.

I'll look into the duel. ;)

Edit: I called up GoDaddy and told them that the website had been hacked. There was then a full minute pause on the line. Then the man simply stated "let me talk to my manager". When he got back to me he said that they had to run a trace on the hackers and to not touch the site. I am impressed by the seriousness with which GoDaddy handles these situations. They also keep offsite backups but it will cost $150 to restore. I might just try restoring my personal backup to begin with.

I'll keep you updated.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  7. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    GoDaddy must be calling Danica Patrick to drive her car through the hacker's house.:laugh:

Good to see them looking to help you out.