1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X-fi causing stability issues?!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kenkickr, Feb 28, 2008.

1. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I was just playing NFS Pro Street and all of a sudden I hear a high pitch tone coming from the speakers and NFS crashed(I was customing, tuning, my car so I'm irate now). I have heard the X-fi's and ATI chipsets don't play fair with each other but so far everything has been fine. Also in the past week I have an issue when playing games or movies the sound switch's back and forth between 2.1 and 5.1 out of no where. Anyone else having issues?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. pagalms

pagalms New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe bad drivers?
    Few months ago i had problems with x-fi too. I don't remember what exactly happened, but reinstalling drivers helped.
  3. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Pro street crashes all the time. Have you used the 1.1 patch ?
  4. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Yes and I tried again and completed 2 areas without a problem. This is the first time it has crashed on me
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Tho` X-fi can cause crashes as well. Overclock totally stable ?
  6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have yet to hear of a compatibility issue between an X-Fi and an ATI chipset, the typical culprit is X-Fi and nVidia.

I'm guessing you already have the most current X-Fi Vista drivers installed, correct?

Also, are you using EAX from within NFS? Is so, do you have Creative's ALchemy drivers installed, and OpenAL?

As to the 2.1 and 5.1 switching issue, it seems to be more common with Vista, also; moreso common when using the Dolby decoding capabilites. Is your output set to 48kHz or 96kHz, and do you have any of the Dolby settings in the audio console enabled?
    MKmods says thanks.