• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X-Fi I/O Bay Titanium Now Available from Auzentech

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
No, graphics aren't always distracting. I'd rather play BF2 with BF2 graphics than with Super Mario graphics, and with BF2 sound rather than Super Mario sound. However, I've played both Doom 3 and BF2 with EAX on and all it seems to do, at least in my opinion, is produce echoes. In BF2 it does almost nothing. The only time I remember actually hearing EAX is when I was in this 3-walled building in Wake Island and I heard some echoing when someone fired a gun. It's not about distractions, it's about a crappy implementation of an already crappy technology. Anyone remember playing BF2142 on snow maps (like Shuhia Taiba) with advanced lighting effects on? One word: GLARE. I assume it was using either Bloom or HDR, which is great, but poorly implemented in BF2142 on the snow maps.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
Play Doom 3, and Quake 4 with EAX 4 HD enabled, play Battlefield 2, and Unreal Tournament 3. You'll find it's implemented very well. Sadly EAX implementation is on a sharp decline since ~2007, for obvious reasons. Microsoft doesn't want realism in sound, it doesn't want the PC audio hardware industry to advance.

Agreed - add to that list FEAR, FEAR 2, Thief: Deadly Shadows (or any of the Thief series) . . .

when EAX is developed alongside the game itself, it adds a level of polish that just isn't capable when you slap EAX support on after-the-fact.

Anyone remembers Aureal?
Now A3D was the shit, until Creative killed them off by taking them to court and having more money than their smaller "competitor".
These days no-one really makes anything all that great, but that seems to be in general in the market, just copy someone else and call it something new and off you go...

Aureal started that whole mess, claiming that Creative were using technology that they owned . . .

After the ensuing battles (which Aureal couldn't afford to pay out for), Creative simply purchase and acquired Aureal (includeing A3D). A3D, in Creative's hands, laid the foundation for EAX 1.0 and subsequently EAX 2.0. Everything beyond that point has been solely Creative's development.

I can only hope creative fails in the future or stops making sound cards and take on a role like ati or creative but in the sound card market because 1: Creative sucks at making drivers and 2: Creative sucks at making consistent good quality sound cards(Dacs, etc) and rely too heavily on their CA20KX chipset, which is why if you compare an HTOMEGA to even the X-Fi Titanium, the HT sounds better in music, X-Fi only compares if you enable both crystalyzer and CMSS3D and the surround is still not as good even with that, not to mention they love making people waste money, remember the CA0106 fiasco when creative was ripping people off but still said "oh its X-Fi" and it was a straight up lie, creative specializes in gouging people for money, thats it.

This is the blatantly ignorant type of opinion that drives me insane (no offense towards you Kain) . . .

For starters, Creative makes decent quality sound cards - you have to remember, considering how vast their market is, it wouldn't benefit them to use uber-high quality PCB components. Can you imagine how expensive their mainstream cards would be if they used the best DACs, ADCs and OPAMPs available? It's not like ASUS or Auzen who can do such, because their market segment is so small.

Comparitively, look at the difference in price between an Elite Pro, and the Fatal1ty cards . . . that's near a $100-$150 price difference . . . and the major difference between the cards themself is the PCB components. The EP uses much higher quality DACs, OPAMPs MOSFETs, VRMs, etc.

So, they sacrfice a little quality to keep prices competitive - besides, the average user wouldn't notice the differences is actual quality anyhow; most users don't even have the equipment to hear the difference.

Secondly - the APU/DSP arguement has no difference on actual sound quality . . . that only determines how much of a work load the card can handle . . . what does make a difference is the DACs, OPAMPs, capcitors, VRMs and other various PCB components that directly affect the output channels, the filtering and amplification.

Comparitively, the music playback can also be limited to the actual compression codec itself . . . for example, a poor-quality .mp3 would sound better with lower quality PCB components, than the same track would sound with higher quality PCB components. The higher quality card would make the shortcomings of the compression much more prevailant . . . hence, why the other manufacturers target their cards at the audiphile and enthusiast segments . . . the users who prefer to run higher quality entertainment . . . not this ipod tripe.

Where the X-Fis pull ahead, though, is in sheer performance . . . they can easily handle excessive workloads without breaking a sweat, and are fast as hell at processing, too . . . hence why the majority of the X-Fi lineup are targeted at gamers . . .

As to surround implimentation . . . after hearing the soultions from a few other companies, nothing compares to CMSS-3D (sadly). Creative's audio positioning implimentation is superb . . . and again, the reason why is due to how many software voices the X-Fi APU can support . . . well over 60k, whereas the C-Media chipsets can't even touch half of that number. The more software voices available, the better the final processing and positioning will be.

Graphics have nothing to do with sound. One would think that upgrading from onboard to an EAX capble sound card would bring you a little more than poorly implemented echos.

EAX is far more than just poorly implimented echoes . . . again, I stress the fact that in games where audio is poorly developed - that is how it comes across (hence the poor opinion most users have of EAX) . . .

If you play a game where the audio has been developed properly, EAX adds ten-fold to the immersion levels, and it doesn't come across like a bunch of "echo" effects. But, the problem being, game developers overlook audio, or are too effin lazy to properly impliment it.

Take, for example again, FEAR/2 . . . environments "sound" much closer to how you would expect them to . . . compared to Doom3 where EAX 4.0 was patched in after the fact - where many rooms just don't sound right.

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
In my eyes, Creative sucks because they screwed all the audigy users over in Vista. I've seen it myself when I was running vista with this Audigy 2. Suddenly I couldn't choose stereo surround in the Creative Control Panel anymore. When I installed the drivers modded by daniel_k, it magically reappeared. Then Creative put thier foot down on daniel_k for disrupting thier little scheme (which was trying to force audigy users to upgrade to x-fi).

Now I realize that businesses exist to make money, but Creative royally screwed a lot of people over and pissed a lot of people off, espically when they killed off daniel_k's effort to help out the Audigy users.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
In my eyes, Creative sucks because they screwed all the audigy users over in Vista. I've seen it myself when I was running vista with this Audigy 2. Suddenly I couldn't choose stereo surround in the Creative Control Panel anymore. When I installed the drivers modded by daniel_k, it magically reappeared. Then Creative put thier foot down on daniel_k for disrupting thier little scheme (which was trying to force audigy users to upgrade to x-fi).

Now I realize that businesses exist to make money, but Creative royally screwed a lot of people over and pissed a lot of people off, espically when they killed off daniel_k's effort to help out the Audigy users.

dont forget many of the features that still dont work without modded drivers. some dont even get digital passthrough for SPDIF yet.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA

although it was great what daniel_k was doing for the community - he screwed up by one, asking for donations to continue support and devlopment (in essence, asking for money for his work); and two, enabling features that were disabled for whatever reason for both Audigy and X-Fi cards.

In regards to the X-Fi cards, there was no point - especially with the DDL/DDS support. As it stands, Creative were working on enabling those features anyhow . . . sometimes manufacturer's will disable feature with driver until they can finish fixing issues - it's easier than realsing a driver were something doesn't work right, then dealing with the ensuing support questions that arise. Keep in mind that audio hardware is some of the hardest hardware to configure properly - it's been a headache of a process for both manufacturer and user since the days of the Sound Blaster 2.1.

In regards to the Audigy, however - I can't exactly blame Creative for disabling some features for the new OS.

Considering that audio hardware stays in service lnger than any other piece of equipment, there's no other way to force users to upgrade than to simply disable features. C'mon - there are still people out ther using Live! cards, and don't intend to upgrade . . . they don't see the point as long as the card continues to function correctly, and this series is OVER 10 years old now . . . meanwhile, how many times has the average user upgraded their CPU, PSU, motherboard, GPU, DRAM, HDD and countless other pieces of equipment? 10 years ago, we were barely pushing 20-40GB HDDs, our CPUs were still running in MHz - GPUs can equipped with less than 128MB of RAM, were running on PCI slots, and the "GPU" as we know it was still in development.

The Audigy lineup is almost 10 years old at this point, and (quite frankly) is out-dated. It's, IMHO, antique audio hardware . . . much like it would be if you were running an ATI RAGE Pro card.

But, the average user doesn't see that point of the arguement . . . they've upgraded everything else to keep up with software and OS development, but continue to use ancient audio hardware . . . why? Because there hasn't been much in the way of audio development.

Sure, new features have come out - software now supports multi-channel better than it did 10 years ago . . . APUs are blazing fast at handling numerous audio channels, calls and streams . . . DRAM support is capable on modern audio equipment (which can take some stress off the SYS itself) . . . but, we still don't have software that truly takes advantage of all these new features . . . developers don't care, and users don't care. Developers won't even consider implimentation if the user doesn't take note of the features, why waste the time?

Simply put - I truly don't believe anyone running and audio card with a APU/DSP older than the CA201K or CMI8878 has ANY right to bitch and complain when features available on their cards are removed from the drivers on a NEW OS. Your card has lived a valiant life . . . it's time to retire it with honor like you have various other PC equipment.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
on the DDlive and such, no, creative werent. an auzentech X-fi card was released with it working, and people got curious why that card had features no creative card did - it was modded and found to be working, and working well on creative.

What did they do? release a new card with it, and make you PAY for the software to activate it on the cards. just like they charged audigy users to get EAX, and so on.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
on the DDlive and such, no, creative werent. an auzentech X-fi card was released with it working, and people got curious why that card had features no creative card did - it was modded and found to be working, and working well on creative.

What did they do? release a new card with it, and make you PAY for the software to activate it on the cards. just like they charged audigy users to get EAX, and so on.

that may possibly be the case . . . but we can't be sure - we, the general public, have no idea wht was entailed with the Dolby licensing between Dolby, Creative and Auzentech. It's quite possible that Creative didn't have permission from Dolby to release these features for the early PCI bound X-Fi cards . . . whereas Auzentech had such permission.

Simply because a manufacturer doesn't support 3rd party solutions, where one of their competitors who use their hardware do, doesn't mean said company is authorized to allow support.

Take for example, ATI and PhysX . . . it's been proven the HD4000 series can support the API, but ATI doesn't exactly have permission to impliment it (although, they don't exactly want to, either, due to their involvement with Havok).

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
that may possibly be the case . . . but we can't be sure - we, the general public, have no idea wht was entailed with the Dolby licensing between Dolby, Creative and Auzentech. It's quite possible that Creative didn't have permission from Dolby to release these features for the early PCI bound X-Fi cards . . . whereas Auzentech had such permission.

Simply because a manufacturer doesn't support 3rd party solutions, where one of their competitors who use their hardware do, doesn't mean said company is authorized to allow support.

Take for example, ATI and PhysX . . . it's been proven the HD4000 series can support the API, but ATI doesn't exactly have permission to impliment it (although, they don't exactly want to, either, due to their involvement with Havok).

licensing is possible. no one can argue that - but charging people for what essentially is drivers, is very bad practice and creative have done that more than once.

the ATI and physX thing... personally i think that may have been a hoax. while a few screenshots were posted, when peopel came asking for more details nothing was given. there are posts there about updates "coming soon" and such, but nothing ever surfaced after that first report.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
licensing is possible. no one can argue that - but charging people for what essentially is drivers, is very bad practice and creative have done that more than once.

but, technically . . . ALchemy wasn't a driver set . . . it was a software implimentation.

Although, I do agree it was in VERY bad taste to charge Audigy/Vista users for ALchemy (hence why I was supportive of Audigy users gaining access for "free" - I had a legitimate link and the Audigy pack that I would give out to people occasionally) . . .

IDK, I can see where they might have been using that funding for development, and the beginning push to get Audigy users into newer hardware (considering that EOS for Audigy was quickly approaching) . . . but I can't say for sure . . . either way, I still don't believe they should've been charged for it . . .

Now, the Dolby licensing and software that users have to pay for . . . I can agree with that, as not everyone uses it, or has a need to, and the cost probably covers the licensing fees.

the ATI and physX thing... personally i think that may have been a hoax. while a few screenshots were posted, when peopel came asking for more details nothing was given. there are posts there about updates "coming soon" and such, but nothing ever surfaced after that first report.

True . . . I don't exactly recall all too well . . . I didn't pay much attention to the whole fiasco . . .

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The moment ALchemy became free, Creative offered to refund anyone who bought it.

Creative's hardware is capable of more than what is there when it's made. Each time Creative comes up with something new in terms of features on the software side, rebranding the same hardware with an updated feature-set isn't really illegitimate. Real money went into developing those features, it holds the right to do what it wants, to profit from it. You paid for the 'older' sound card and its feature-set. Using modded drivers is no different from piracy. This said, I'm against Creative not delivering on the promised feature-set, and creating new SKUs to do that. The two don't exactly contradict each-other.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
why? Because there hasn't been much in the way of audio development

And who's fault is that? I still have my Audigy 2 ZS... I can't see myself ever getting rid of it until I buy a motherboard with onboard sound that suprasses this in quality.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
And who's fault is that? I still have my Audigy 2 ZS... I can't see myself ever getting rid of it until I buy a motherboard with onboard sound that suprasses this in quality.

the realtek in my media PC is just as good as my audigy 4, better in vista and 7 since the softwares much improved (only thing missing is 5.1 upmixer for MP3's, but the modded X-fi MB software fixes that). Onboard audio is starting to catch up.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Back to topic:

Dunno if anyone asked this before, but to quote the press release:

Manufactured by Creative Labs, the X-Fi Titanium I/O Drive is compatible with the Auzentch X-Fi Forte Sound Card sound card, the soon-to-be-released Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD sound card, and certain Creative sound cards.

Does anyone know which specific Creative cards support this I/O Drive?

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
My old DFI LanParty UT 590SLI had this realtek audio card thing that came with it. I tried it and went straight back to my Audigy 2 ZS. I would try the onboard audio on this board but it's only got one speaker output and I have a 5.1 speaker set (which needs 3 outputs).

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет

depends on one's definition of "quality"

If we're looking simply at specs, and actual output quality and clarity, there has yet to be an onboard solution that comes anywhere near close to touching 90% of the Audigy lineup - today's modern cards are ages ahead of onboard solutions.

Which means, that if you intend to keep the Audigy until onboard solutions can equal that card . . . you'll be waiting another 10 years.

Hence, my point, that the average audio card stays in service years longer than any other hardware component . . . and if the manufacturers can't come up with ways to move users onto new hardware, where is most of their funding for development of new hardware, profit, paying their employees, marketing, etc. going to come from?

Again, the majority of users simply think that as long as the audio card continues to play, they have no need for new hardware . . .

If we had more software that continued to push for higher "baselines: of what's required, you'd see more people willing to upgrade on a regular basis - much like how more modern games help push users to upgrade their video cards, and keep the GPU manufacturers at work as well.

But, we don't have anything like that in regards to audio - there has been an increasing trend towards "home entertainment" PCs, which has helped fuel the SNR battlefield, and the push to include HQ features such as Dolby, optical connections, quality PCB components . . . but it hasn't helped fuel the development of new and innovative audio products.

As well, this stagnation of development has even taken it's toll on the HD-Audio competition . . . how many people realize that 32bit/192kHz DACs have been available for almost 3 years now, yet every new audio card to hit shelves is still pushing 24b/192kHz . . . as well, 10.1 channel native DACs have been availalbe, too and no one has jumped on those yet (although, there has been some movement towards 8.1).

Where's the development of 256 hardware voices? We've been stuck at 128 for almost 10 years now . . . why no push here? Because software developers barely make use of the curretn 128 our modern hardware supports . . . again, no technological development, simply stagnation . . .

Back to topic:

Dunno if anyone asked this before, but to quote the press release:

Does anyone know which specific Creative cards support this I/O Drive?

The Titaniums . . .

well, TBH, any 3rd gen X-Fi that actually has the Azalia/AC97 10-pin front panel header . . . this includes all the Titanium cards, as well as the newer Xtreme Audio (PCI and PCIe), and Xtreme Gamer cards, and I think the newest Elite Pro revision (although, I'm not 100% definite on this).

I've heard as well that the next revision PCI Fatal1ty cards might . . . but I truly don't see Creative revising this PCB for the 4th time . . . not with the Titanitum Fatal1ty on the market.

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
that was a good read

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
a good read but a big waste of time... all camps has right and is similar to ati vs nvidia debates...nobody win

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
the realtek in my media PC is just as good as my audigy 4, better in vista and 7 since the softwares much improved (only thing missing is 5.1 upmixer for MP3's, but the modded X-fi MB software fixes that). Onboard audio is starting to catch up.

Sorry Mussels, and no offense intended by this, but if your on-board in your HTPC sounds as good as your Audigy 4, you either have an absolutely terrible home theatre setup, are half deaf, don't know how to properly set up an audio system, are playing content with shitty compression/quality, have a poor ear for sound quality, or any mix of all of the above.

Even my Audigy 2ZS blows ALL current on-board solutions out of the water in terms of audio quality, PERIOD. No exceptions whatsoever.

System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
I can say the AD1200 (on Asus boards) sounds very well and also the ALC 888D (on my Gigabyte) sounds also ok when configured for 24bit/192KHz output (in the case of the Realtek I do get occasional clipping and clicks so they still have a little tweaking to do in the drivers). But I can only compare them to the poor man's Creative, the Live! 7.1 24bit card.

I only listen in 2.1 configurations with my Altec Lansing ATP3 and my MDR-CD380 phones (mostly FLACs, some high bit rate MP3s). Don't confuse me with a snobby audiophile. I use computers. And don't confuse Creative sound cards with audiophile-grade equipment.

But you know what, the Creative Live! 24bit 7.1 (rebranded as Audigy LS, then rebranded as X-Fi Extreme Music PCI) doesn't come close to my Cowon D2.

Different people look for different things when it comes to audio quality. What sounds good for some, sounds terrible for others and vice-versa. Some look for low warm base at low volumes, some look for punchy not-defined base at high volumes. Some care mostly about mid-tones, others have a real sensitivity for the high-band. There's no way you can please all of them with a "one solution for all".

Not to mention that in this area, everyone plays favorites. It's just like Intel vs. AMD. It doesn't matter how well something might sound, if it's not expensive and doesn't offer the OPAMPS from your favorite firm then it's rubbish. I've been on audiophile forums. It's funny over there.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
I can say the AD1200 (on Asus boards) sounds very well and also the ALC 888D (on my Gigabyte) sounds also ok when configured for 24bit/192KHz output (in the case of the Realtek I do get occasional clipping and clicks so they still have a little tweaking to do in the drivers). But I can only compare them to the poor man's Creative, the Live! 7.1 24bit card.

ADI solutions sound better than most . . . but in terms of actual speced quality are crap - the audio guide in my sig shows some testing I had performed with an ADI solution, and how it compares to real sound cards . . .

Different people look for different things when it comes to audio quality. What sounds good for some, sounds terrible for others and vice-versa. Some look for low warm base at low volumes, some look for punchy not-defined base at high volumes. Some care mostly about mid-tones, others have a real sensitivity for the high-band. There's no way you can please all of them with a "one solution for all".

Very true, audio quality is more subjective than visual IQ . . . but, as well, you can have the most 1337 audio card in the world, and it'll still sound like pure tripe when it's playing back through some $15 POS speakers.

Not to mention that in this area, everyone plays favorites. It's just like Intel vs. AMD. It doesn't matter how well something might sound, if it's not expensive and doesn't offer the OPAMPS from your favorite firm then it's rubbish. I've been on audiophile forums. It's funny over there.

Another wonderfully true statement . . .

Thankfully, around this board, the vast majority of us audiophiles are much more relaxed and open-minded . . . none of us are "gung-ho" for any specific brand or model, and usually are willing to recomend a brand to someone based more on their needs or what they'll be using it for, more-so than brand loyalty.

We do still have the Creative bashers, though . . . and I've come to the conclusion a long time ago that usually their viewpoints are unfounded or blown out of proportion . . .

thankfully, the Creative bashing is very minimal here at TPU - cause it truly just degrades a community, IMHO.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Audio quality is not subjective at all. It's very objective. It's measurable in accuracy. Whether you like that sound or not is the only thing that is subjective. That's a personal preference however, and unrelated to output quality. That preference can generally be adjusted with various DSPs, shitty quality cannot.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
I will never buy anything from creative. A friend of mine bought a Zen 8GB that was about 200e. He broke the LCD screen in it so I contacted Creative RMA for him asking how much would a replacement screen cost.

The reply was :
I'm sorry to inform you that since the damaged screen isn't covered
within hardware warranty, it would be considered to be out of warranty
product. Currently we are not able to provide repair service for
products which have been out of warranty.

Ok I understand that LCD damage could be out of repair>newdevice price equasion but this means that every product thats out of warranty period (or at least Zen is) getting damaged in any way is "damaged beyond repair" for creative.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Audio quality is not subjective at all. It's very objective. It's measurable in accuracy. Whether you like that sound or not is the only thing that is subjective. That's a personal preference however, and unrelated to output quality. That preference can generally be adjusted with various DSPs, shitty quality cannot.

well, that's kinda what I had meant . . . we can spec the hardware and do software (and hardware) testing to determine the actual output quality . . . but that doesn't necessarily mean most users will "hear" that quality . . .

I will never buy anything from creative. A friend of mine bought a Zen 8GB that was about 200e. He broke the LCD screen in it so I contacted Creative RMA for him asking how much would a replacement screen cost.

The reply was :

Ok I understand that LCD damage could be out of repair>newdevice price equasion but this means that every product thats out of warranty period (or at least Zen is) getting damaged in any way is "damaged beyond repair" for creative.

So, just curious . . . how can you be against Creative for a response like that?

Hardware warranties don't cover accidental damage - especially with LCD displays. You'll find even with LCD monitors, manufacturers don't cover user damage to the displays . . . only if there is a defect in the materials or hardware itself.

So, when one manages to damage their product, you've technically voided the warranty - a manufacturer doesn't have to cover it.

That's like, if you took a video card, for example, and jam a VGA connector into a DVI port, then get pissy with the manufacturer because they won't warranty it.

mikek75

System Name As easy as falling off a lorry
Processor Core I5 2500K auto tuned to 4.2ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Cooling Corsair H80 sealed water cooler
Memory 16gb Gskill Ripjawz 1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6970 2GB
Storage Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD, OCZ 60 GB Agility 3 SSD, Seagate 500GB, 2x80gb Maxtors
Display(s) DELL 2309w 23" Widescreen 1920x1080+ LG M2294D 22" 1680x1050 LCDtv/monitor
Case Zalman Z9 Plus
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling 750w Silencer Quad PCIe
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Yeah, but he didn't ask them to do it for free, he asked how much a replacement screen would cost. Many manufacturers have authorised service centres, and these days of us all being encouraged to be environmentally aware it makes sense to repair instead of replace an otherwise serviceable item.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
But why should a company have to be entitled to repair an item such as that? Remember that in the warranty agreements for all manufacturers, items that are covered under warranty will either be replaced or repair . . . at the manufacturer's discretion. Keep in mind as well that in today's age, 90% of all RMAed items are simply replaced . . . the companies very, very, very rarely actually perform repairs anymore.

Besides, why should any company be obligated to repair an item that's no longer covered by warranty, even if the customer is willing to pay for the repair, when they're probably inundated with more RMAed items than they can reasonably handle?

In regards to said LCD display - Creative doesn't manufacture the LCD, and I'm sure that their RMA department doesn't simply carry extras laying around. Again, the trend with most companies now is to replace, not repair . . .

Now, it's quite possible one could pull the LCD from the unit, determine the P/N, then google it and see if you can find a replaceable unit (or something that would work) online . . .