1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X-Fi I/O Bay Titanium Now Available from Auzentech

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Jun 21, 2009.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You call up BFG, EVGA, Zotac, or Palit, and ask them to give you a spare NVIDIA reference cooler for GeForce GTX 260, agreeing to pay for it. They won't oblige. The consumer electronics supply-chain is design in a way that a broken product can be only replaced for free under its warranty, or be replaced by buying a new one. Spares are not sold, or paid repairs done. I know it's not supposed to be this way, but you'll be surprised to know the extant to which this practice has propagated.
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    what BTA just said is spot on.
  3. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I messed up the focusing screen on my Canon DSLR with a ham fisted cleaning attempt not covered by warranty. Was a simple matter of sending it to the Canon Authorised Service Centre and paying then £30 for a replacement screen (fitted). Sapphire will also carry out non-warranty repairs for a fee (although in that case it involves shipping to HK)... Theres too much of a throwaway culture these days (God I'm getting old, LOL)
  4. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    There are companies that carry out paid repairs and sell spares, I don't deny that, but the practice of catering [only] to the throwaway culture is as much institutionalised. I had this GeForce GTX 260 imported from Europe, which came with a broken cooler. I approached every NVIDIA partner there is, and nobody was inclined to sell me a spare cooler. Because I imported it, I couldn't use the warranty. Checkmate. The next thing to do was to import a more expensive, compatible third-party cooler. The two lived happily ever after.
  5. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, the grey import rears its ugly... I just sent back a camera because it turned out to be a Japanese market model for the very reason that Canon UK refused to register it. After spending £750 I wasn't prepared to risk the "sellers" warranty, and forked out the extra £70 for the peace of mind. But I digress...
  6. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it's a gray import, but the point I was trying to make is that the consumer is powerless if he wants spare parts or paid service. The situation would have been the same, if I bought the product from here, and its warranty expired.
  7. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Only solution is to boycott such manufacturers....As I said, last time I checked Sapphire will do paid repairs. Whether or not they make economic sense is another matter.
  8. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

be prepared, then, to boycott 90% of PC hardware manufacturers . . . Intel, AMD, ASUS, Creative, nVidia, ATI, Gigabyte, ABIT, MSI, OCZ, PNY . . .

. . . just to name a few.
  9. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    But Creative have Fatal1ty cards! it's so 1337...uh I mean retarded!