1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X-Fi Support Syndicate & Owner's Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by imperialreign, Sep 25, 2007.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    that's an insane price difference . . . but, I'm not sure how it compares to the US . . .

Anyhow, there's no difference in the DAC. Honestly, except for the Xtreme Gamer and the Elite Pro - all Creative X-Fi cards use the same DAC, ADC, OPAMPs, MOSFETs, capacitors, V regulators, etc.
  2. Beebee Guest

no 5.1 sound

Yes its setup as 5.1 in both. As is usual with Creative Drivers it might tell you that its setting things in Windows but you allways have to open up the volume control advanced settings & tick the digital output only box before you get any sound at all. Then advanced audio Properties/ speaker setup/ 5.1 surround speakers. I've also set it up as 5.1 in the creative Audio Console as well

I've been looking at the rather limited manual that came with this card and there is no mention of support for 5.1 audio anywhere in it. I thought the Bostons would work through the Digital I/O link but so far no luck.

I was thinking about the gamer version of the card but I supect the I might have the same problems with it. The use of a minijack to connect the soundcard to 5.1 speaker systems was I think, a Creative standard, all the way back to the Live 5.1.
    The first version of the live card needed a breakout card for digital out, but sense then all Creative cards have more or less worked with 5.1 straight out of the box, sometimes with a little fiddling.

The drivers that came with my Audigy 1 card used to produce an allmighty roar from the speakers until I could update the drivers.

I still have a folder full of Sound blaster & Audigy drivers that I collected from various parts of the world, but this is the first time iv'e been utterly defeated by a Creative product.

The real bugger is that the sound that Iv'e got from the 2 speaker setup is so good. The chips themselves are so good, it's a pity that ther software is so crap Beebee
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009
  3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    are you using 1 digital cable plugged in or the standard 3 analogue cables??
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    he did mention digital.

Digital signals are only 2.0 sounds, without a card capable of real time encoding.
  5. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    how bout if his speakers have a built in encoder?
  6. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    ... what?

software -> soundcard -> digital cable -> decoder -> speakers

by that point, you're already getting 2.0 sounds... so you cant have an encoder in a speaker. You can have an upmixer, which gives you 3x 2.0 sound - but no matter how you look at it, it aint 5.1
  7. Beebee Guest

JUst the 1

Just the one plugged into the Digital I/O Blue Miniplug
  8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    what soundcard do you have again, and does it support Dolby digital live, or DTS connect?
  9. Beebee Guest

The speakers do have a built in Dac Beebee
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    thats a digital to analogue converter. All digital speakers have that, and its unrelated to the question i asked.
  11. Beebee Guest

Re 5.1

12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yes, they have a decoder. that is not a DAC. They are different things.

Those speakers support dolby digital decoding. That REQUIRES a dolby digital signal from your soundcard, to your speakers.

Movies that come with this may give you 5.1, but i can guarantee you that without a soundcard capable of encoding dolby digital in real time - you have not been getting 5.1 audio.

In fact i can kinda guarnatee you havent had 5.1 audio, cause thats a 4.1 speaker set anyway.
  13. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    My pci-e x-fi extreme audio is hooked up to my denon av amp via a optical digital cable,and i'm sure its only a 2.1 output.Which sound card would i need that can output a 5.1 signal to the amp?

I am using the amp to upmix it with 5,1 stereo mode atm.

Thanks.
  14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    anything with dolby digital live - thats the name they give to real time DD encoding.

The latest X-fi cards do it, auzentech and asus xonar do it.
    tigger says thanks.
  15. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
  17. Beebee Guest

yes I know it's only 4 speakers, but with both my earlier sound cars I was getting imput to my rear speakers & both the Live 5.1, & the audigy said they were outputing A 5.1 Digital stream, & it certainly sounded like they were in games like doom Beebee
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    live 5.1 and audigy cards do not support encoding, so they definately werent outputting your games in 5.1.

Your card has (and always has been) outputting a stereo signal over a digital connection - your speakers must have a feature such as what tigger mentioned a few posts above, an upmixing mode thats making the rear speakers clone the front speakers.
  19. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I'm using my amp to upmix,i am going to buy one of these xonar dx card now i think.
  20. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Tigger - you sexy beast. care to donate that Xonar to me??? In return you can have my PCI-E Titanium Fatality Pro :cool::cool::cool::cool:
  21. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Thanks but i'll give the xonar a try first.I need the ddl output for my sexy denon amp.
  22. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    my X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro has DDL
  23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
  24. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I know. I was asking if youd like to swap :D :D :D :D
  25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    me? nooooooo.

I get EAX 4.0 out of this thing thanks to alchemy universal, DDL and... well, it sounds good.