1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X1300 issues is it 64/191 or 512mb

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by mikeydavies, May 31, 2008.

1. mikeydavies New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all, I did a search for my prob 1st but no answers, I brought a radeon x1300 512mb card 2nd hand yesterday and it was advertised as 512mb. Now on the sticker on the back it says radeon x1300 64mb VRAM512mb HM V/VTO I can play juiced 2 just fine but when I do checks for other games inc juiced 2 on systemrequirements lab it says that my GC only has 64mb onboard, when I check on dxdiag it tells me I have 191mb?. I brought it from CEX shop and they have charged me for a 512mb and I just want to know what 1 I have before taking it back and resolving the issue with the shop. It's all just a little confusing for me cos min specs for juiced 2 state x1300 256mb so I must have at least that and surely when the shop took it in they'd have done checks to make sure it works and what make/mem it has!
    Dxdiag says Name: radeon x1300/x1550 series chip type ATI processor (0x7146) DAC type: internal DAC(400mhz) Approx. Total Memory: 191MB.
    Please someone help me decide exactly what GC i have before I go and shout at the shop that sold it me! a little more info, the GC board is blue and it has a small fan ontop of silver metal heatshield and it seems to have 2 small memory chips on either side of the board.
    Thanks in advance all!
    Mike

2. Fahim

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

Your card has 64MB onboard memory, the rest comes from system. Your card dynamically uses system memory and thats the reason you see different size different time. It is actually 64MB.

mikeydavies says thanks.
  3. mikeydavies New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi thanks for replying, so basically they have mis-sold me a card that they have marked up as a 512mb eventhough it uses system memory they should still really have it marked up as a 64mb, i'm not really that happy that it's cost £30 in that case, not much better than my 6100 nforce 4 onboard apart from the memory increase. what would you personally do in this case? at the end of the day they sell the x1300 pro 256mb for £35! its just that i only had £30 at the time!
    Thanks again

4. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    It's not worth £30 - try returning it or selling it and get one of these - I PROMISE you that you won't be disappointed.

mikeydavies says thanks.
  5. mikeydavies New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK thanks mate, just looke at the card and seems just perfect for my needs, luckily they have one of those in stock from the shop that i got this shite one from so i'm gonna take it back in the next couple of days and tell 'em they mis-sold it me and they ought to mark up properly, add the extra £10 to it and get that 7900gs(they sell it for £40) thanks mate, I appreciate all of your's help!

6. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    No probs - these cards are a steal at the price!

7. Fahim

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, 7900GS would be a better buy. Which shop are you buying it from???

8. mikeydavies New Member

Thanks Received:
    ill be getting it from the same shop I got this x1300 from which is CeX(computer Exchange) so it'll be 2nd hand. I don't think it's they're fault for selling me that card as a 512mb as the label on the back of it is very misleading so i'm sure that if they knew exactly wat it was they'd have sold it as a 64mb card which utilises sys mem upto 512mb, I thought it was a little strange though being as the heatshield was so small for a 512mb! anyway thanks all for your suggestions and help. one more thing they are also selling an 8500 gt for £35 and the 8600 gt for £42 both have 256mb memory, any ideas if either of these would be any better for me, I want to play games like hellgate london, juiced 2, crysis and such. Thanks again!

9. mikeydavies New Member

Thanks Received:
    I decided on a 8600gt 256mb instead for an extra £2, thought it was a bargain! thanks for all your help again guys!

10. mikeydavies New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to keep buggin you people but I had the choice today of either the 8600 gt 256mb or for an extra £6 more i could have had a radeon hd2600 xt 256mb. from what i've read the radeon seems better than the 8600gt, can anyone confirm this for me 'cos when i asked the store they said that i'd only really need the radeon if i was looking for HD so i went with the 8600gt for the safer option! it's easy for me to go back and exchange it if people recommend the radeon hd2600xt as i have the reciept. I don't understand why they wouldn't recommend the radeon if it will play gams better for me.
    Please help me in my final decision and i promise that this will be the last choice that I make depending on reccomendations.
    Thanks agai in advance all.
    Mike

P.S It's the GDDR3 version from iceQ with the big heatsink and fan!

11. Fahim

Thanks Received:
    I'd say HD 2600 XT. Its not true that it is for HD only, they don't know anything. It should be faster than 8600GT.

mikeydavies says thanks.
  12. mikeydavies New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok thanks mate I kinda guessed it wouldn't have been HD only and from the specs i've seen around on the web it seems that the core runs at 800mhz and the 8600gt only runs at 540mhz so i'm guessing that that's a big difference all round at around a 50% increase plus the fact that tit's got 120 shader units(the 8600gt has between 16-32!(I couldn't find exact specs)) and built in 5.1 surround(optional with bundle of DVI-to-HDMI adapter) dunno what half of that means but i take it it's good! I will eventually be getting a HD ready TV in the future when I find 1 at the right price anyway but i still noticed that I can't play juiced 2 at top specs because i start getting lighting artifacts and lagging from the game! I'm quite sure that this HD2600xt radeon 256mb will be much better because the bloke that served me in the shop the other day was trying to sell me it and he is the manager there but he wasn't on today and i couldn't afford it the other day 'cos they didn't have any test beds working to test my HDD that i took in for exchange today. Well at least now i'm 100% positive that i'm gonna get the right 1 when i take the 8600gt back as I can't afford anything else anyway but for £48 I think personally that it's a great deal.
    Anyway, thanks again for all your help and maybe i'll speak to you again!

P.S if anyone want's to see the comparison charts i used then go here h..p://3w.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/HD_2600_XT/ also can anyone recommend a good socket 754 motherboard for overclocking an A64 3200+(2.2ghz) thanks

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008