• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X1900XT - Crashes, losing monitor, random resets - 'VPU recovery'.

System Name The Terminator.
Processor Intel i7 950 3.06Ghz.
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-Extreme
Cooling Stock.
Memory Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 2000MHz Dominator-GT Memory Kit CL8 (8-9-8-24) 1.65V
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 6950 2GB GDDR5.
Storage WD 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s / OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD.
Display(s) 24'' Widescreen Samsung 1080p.
Case Antec 1200 Gaming Case.
Audio Device(s) Realtek.
Power Supply TX 650W Corsair
Software Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
Here's Hope'in:D on the 'Miscellaneous' page od AtiTool bottom right ... will save file then 'zip' it

Well, as i feared, the problem seems to still be occuring. Basically, all i did was go into World of Warcraft, have a quick look around then exit again and the screen goes black, so i tap windows key a load of times then it came back - this time with no VPU recovery error since i didnt bother to install CCC this time round.

It seems to occur when i enter a game and leave it too quickly, its like it cant handle the change that fast and just gives up for a second.

I zipped my bios, i hope this is of any use to you.

Thanks for the help guys,

Hux.

Attachments

• bios.zip
    36.8 KB · Views: 255
System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
hey HUx: been busy sorry :) had a loook at yor bios... only idea that came to mind would be to change the 'default' volts from 1.150v to 1.200 or 1.250 with RaBit & then flash it to card ... and see if that helps .. you can always flash back if it doesn't....

Cooling Stock.
Memory Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 2000MHz Dominator-GT Memory Kit CL8 (8-9-8-24) 1.65V
Audio Device(s) Realtek.
hey HUx: been busy sorry :) had a loook at yor bios... only idea that came to mind would be to change the 'default' volts from 1.150v to 1.200 or 1.250 with RaBit & then flash it to card ... and see if that helps .. you can always flash back if it doesn't....

Hey Frogger,

To be honest, i think the problem with these random resets and monitor loss is due to heat. I literally was just playing when the screen suddenly went blank for a minute and then my computer reset. Upon reaching desktop ATi Tool reported my Vreg at 79*C and GPU at 68*C! What the f**k! After leaving it on desktop for a few minutes it has now died back down to 49*C Vregs and 39/40*GPU.

I think it was a bad choice going for this accellero X2 bollocks thing, its been nothing but a pain in the arse and the £14 or whatever it cost me has basically cost me £200+ for the new graphics card im gonna need to buy in the near future to replace this one since the warranty is now void. Im not happy at all. :shadedshu

Anyway, i dont understand how i could be getting such high temps! This was in World of Warcraft for godsake, not exactly 'graphically demanding'. I've never seen it that high before either, especially after a reset - usually when its right cooled down.

Any more ticks up your sleeves guys? Any ideas? Should i start looking for yet another graphics card?

*Sigh*

The PC gaming industry is a real drag.

Hux.

P.S - I don't know if this helps at all, but since i've had this computer (A few weeks now) when i turn on the computer, all the lights come on, it powers up and the computer starts running - but then it all turns off again. Then, instantly, it all powers up again, the fans start moving and the computer runs properly to windows. I just thought this was some sort of PSU safety feature / motherboard thing, but if it isn't, would this be a problem? I didn't think much of it.

Last edited:
System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
Hey Frogger,

To be honest, i think the problem with these random resets and monitor loss is due to heat. I literally was just playing when the screen suddenly went blank for a minute and then my computer reset. Upon reaching desktop ATi Tool reported my Vreg at 79*C and GPU at 68*C! What the f**k! After leaving it on desktop for a few minutes it has now died back down to 49*C Vregs and 39/40*GPU.I think it was a bad choice going for this accellero X2 bollocks thing, its been nothing but a pain in the arse QUOTE]
:eek::eek: Take the vid card out ...and make sure the accellero X2 is seated properly on the card ..if you have to remove it and check the TIM or replace it with some Céramique or As5.... of course if you replace it you will need some burnin time ......
Have you tried disabling the ATITool and letting the cards Bios set the clks & vlts ...

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
Is your air flow still like this look at link http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7795&d=1179322241

I think thats another problem your not getting any fresh air in your case, so I think if you do this look at pics the temps should be better also I think the the PSU should be putthing the hot air out mine does. I put the side panel to put air in cuz heat rises so theres more air going in and out the back. And can you put the CPU Heatsink to put the hot air to the back that well hilp in keeping you in side of the case cool also

So see if that helps :toast:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 399
  • untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 405
Cooling Stock.
Audio Device(s) Realtek.
Hey Frogger,

To be honest, i think the problem with these random resets and monitor loss is due to heat. I literally was just playing when the screen suddenly went blank for a minute and then my computer reset. Upon reaching desktop ATi Tool reported my Vreg at 79*C and GPU at 68*C! What the f**k! After leaving it on desktop for a few minutes it has now died back down to 49*C Vregs and 39/40*GPU.I think it was a bad choice going for this accellero X2 bollocks thing, its been nothing but a pain in the arse QUOTE]
:eek::eek: Take the vid card out ...and make sure the accellero X2 is seated properly on the card ..if you have to remove it and check the TIM or replace it with some Céramique or As5.... of course if you replace it you will need some burnin time ......
Have you tried disabling the ATITool and letting the cards Bios set the clks & vlts ...

I would like to disable ATi Tool but then i wouldnt have any fan control. :(

Well, i will take my card out and do as you say - by the way, what is 'TIM' or 'Ceramique As5', is that the thermapaste?

Sorry to sound noobish, there's still a lot im learning. Thanks matey.

Is your air flow still like this look at link http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7795&d=1179322241

I think thats another problem your not getting any fresh air in your case, so I think if you do this look at pics the temps should be better also I think the the PSU should be putthing the hot air out mine does. I put the side panel to put air in cuz heat rises so theres more air going in and out the back. And can you put the CPU Heatsink to put the hot air to the back that well hilp in keeping you in side of the case cool also

So see if that helps :toast:

I will take my comp apart right now and fiddle with the air-flow and adjust according to your diagrams whilst i also take apart my graphics card and see whats going on there.

Thanks a lot for your continued help dudes! I was getting slightly down about this whole dilemma.

Cheers,

I'll let you know how it goes.

Hux.

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
'TIM' or 'Ceramique As5', is that the thermapaste

YES;)

Cooling Stock.
Audio Device(s) Realtek.
*Sigh* Well i moved the fans around... But now my freakin arctic cooling CPU fan isn't coming on! :mad::mad::cry::mad::confused:

Im at my last threaed. :shadedshu

Hux.

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
is it connected on right ? to the mobo ?

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
So did moving the fans help with the temps ?

Is the fan still not working ?

Cooling Stock.
Audio Device(s) Realtek.
So did moving the fans help with the temps ?

Is the fan still not working ?

Hey Dom,

Well i was up all night last night till about 5AM (UK time) on Skype to a couple of very helpful guys - Namslas90 and RandomMurderer, who were kind enough to lend me their time. We pretty much covered every possible reason as to why my game's are crashing as described above. These include a possible RAM issue, which is still to be ruled out, motherboard (Which is unlikely), heat/high temps (Which i shouldn't be getting!), power (Not really possible on a Type R PSU), and bad isntallation of my X2 Accellero (Which i have double checked and it all checks out). The only thing left to do to be honest is RMA my card, which we came to the conclusion as being the best option. I'll just need to put back on the old heatsync and fan and try and make it look untouched - if anyone has any tips about RMA'ing a card they are welcomed. It's sad that it has come to this but i think we pretty much tried everything.

I'm going to try a few more things such as seeing if im still getting problems after adjusting my RAM voltage last night and re-arranging my case fans (Again). But come Monday i am RMA'ing this nuisance card - i can only hope they will accept it!

To answer your questions Dom - Yes my CPU fan is back up and running (It was my fault since after re-arranging the CPU fan wire was stretched and bent). Also, my GPU and Voltage Regulator temps still suck.

Vreg: 49*C Idle
GPU: 42*C Idle.

All input is still welcomed, however ludicrous it may sound! :eek:

Cheers,

Hux.

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
Well Good Luck with the RMA ?

So are your temps better now ?

My Vreg Idles around the 40's also

Cuz have you tryed running the fuzzy dice in atitool to see how long it would last with stock clocks ?

If the Vreg get to hot stop it mine are like in the 50's on load

Last edited:
Cooling Stock.
Audio Device(s) Realtek.
Well Good Luck with the RMA ?

So are your temps better now ?

My Vreg Idles around the 40's also

Cuz have you tryed running the fuzzy dice in atitool to see how long it would last with stock clocks ?

If the Vreg get to hot stop it mine are like in the 50's on load

Dude, my Vreg hits anywhere between 69-79*C. Its ridiculous. Temps are still sucky and the X2 Accellero has done nothing but add to the problem, i do not recommend this piece of crap! :)

Hux.

Cooling Stock.
Audio Device(s) Realtek.
69~79*C is um....NORMAL for VREGs.

I wouldn't call it normal, i'd say it were too high.

Okay guys, just now i was running 3DMark06, no problem, scored 5864 with no overclocks etc, standard 3D mark settings. The minute i CLOSED 3DMark06, the monitor went black and didnt respond for about 5-8 seconds. So surely thats gotta be something to do with the clocks switching from 3D to 2D. BUT, how would you explain the random monitor losses and crashes IN-GAME where the 2D - 3D clocks shouldn't be changing until i quit?

Also, most of these monitor losses/crashes are occuring after i exit a game multiple-times which leads me to believe it is a problem with the 3D detection or changing of clock speeds. So i have disable 3D detection in ATi Tool to see how it goes. Will my card still go into 3D mode when i enter a game with 3D detection disabled on ATi Tool? When i load '2D mode' with ATi Tool I'm getting the same FPS in World of Warcraft in as in 3D mode with which leads me to believe my clocks must be changing to 3D mode automatically still?

What you think guys?

Cheers,

Hux.

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
Well I take it back it does get kind of hot :eek: 75*C but with my fans off

Look at the pic of the fan under the card

Cuz when folding the Vregs are at 52*C but with atitool its at 58*C and this is at 675/972 and its been going for 40+mins

At first I tryed it with the fans off and it went up to 75*C but then I turned them back on and it went down to 58*C so if you want to add a 80mm fan like I have it should bring it down cuz with the IceQ3 Turbo cooler it came with I would get about the same temps on the Vregs cuz its doing what the 80mm fan is doing

Attachments

• untitled4.JPG
    untitled4.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 382
  • z.jpg
    z.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 395

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
well its went on 71+mins and im tired and going to bed so if yours cant last that long its missed up I think cuz try running the dice and see if it fucks up again i'll be back later if you need any help :toast: