1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

x1900xtx comparisons

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by nocrapman, Oct 19, 2008.

1. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,
    Researching for a future build... wondering where my once cutting edge 1900xtx stands against todays popular VGAs? Planning to build a new rig, is it worth upgrading to a newer card or to put it another way how much money will it cost to have a substantial upgrade? FYI, I am not playing much on the computer anymore... so I am tempted to go with an on board graphics solution too...
    Please send in ur suggestions/experiences.
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well I noticed a 9600GT was about twice as fast as my OC'd x1950xtx....newer mid-range cards have great bang-for-buck ratios, but no point in upgrading if you don't game on your rig...that'd just be a waste of power, money and resources.

:toast:
    nocrapman says thanks.
  3. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 to what Kursah said :)

Stick with what you have..it works fine for what you need it for :toast:
    nocrapman says thanks.
  4. ascstinger

ascstinger New Member

Thanks Received:
    even a 4670 would provide better performance, the $80 it costs would buy you something that'll work well if you ever get the urge to fire up a game, not to mention the power and heat reduction (as well as noise, if it has that hairdryer of a stock cooler like mine did)
    nocrapman says thanks.
  5. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
    Well to address your integrated graphics comment, I just read a review of one of AMD's newest 790 boards which didn't even compare to a 7600GS in graphics tests
    That said, you'd be hard pressed to fire up any 3D game, let alone new ones, if you choose to go integrated.
    Regarding newer cards, the biggest thing I'd say you'll see a difference in is efficiency when looking at the newest generation cards. You'd be sure to ~double your performance while keeping power consumption the same or less just by sticking to a $100 priced card.
  6. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Power/ Heat / Noise are the three reasons I am tempted to dump this card. I wonder if it would be worth the effort to try to sell it?
  7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    You could sell it, but not for very much considering 9600GSO's and GT's can be found below the 100 dollar mark new these days. You can get a 9600GSO from EVGA Bstock for 69.99, that's a good price for a good card.

that xtx is a classic piece now, I'm holding on to my 1950xtx unless someone really really really wants it! :D
  9. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats the kind of priceline I was hoping for...
    Do you guys have some recommendations in that range. Hopefully something thats power efficient, not too noisy, not too hot and with dual monitor support. Does such a thing exist??
  10. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
  11. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    well they do still have time to rise in selling price, but I honestly doubt that price will double. Keep an eye on them and see how they do. I could be way off!:toast: